Not getting 2.0 speeds

mark

Hi, folks. I'm hoping someone here can help me.

I have an AMD Athlon 1900 system with 512 megs of RAM. The
motherboard came with USB 1.1 ports. About a year or so ago, I bought
an 80 gig Acom USB 2.0 external HD. It's backward compatible to USB
1.1, so things have worked fine.

Tonight, I decided that I'd like to finally utilize all this speed the
drive has to offer and bought a USB 2.0 card. This new card came
with 4 USB 2.0 ports. I plugged it in, loaded the drivers, plugged in
the external HD and once again, I see all my files on the Acom HD. But
transfer speeds have not changed. It's still going at 1.1 rates. I
tested a file transfer...the 1.1 ports and 2.0 ports transfer the file
at the same speed...there is no difference.

What could be wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.:)

Ron Reaugh

mark said:
Hi, folks. I'm hoping someone here can help me.

I have an AMD Athlon 1900 system with 512 megs of RAM. The
motherboard came with USB 1.1 ports. About a year or so ago, I bought
an 80 gig Acom USB 2.0 external HD. It's backward compatible to USB
1.1, so things have worked fine.

Tonight, I decided that I'd like to finally utilize all this speed the
drive has to offer and bought a USB 2.0 card. This new card came
with 4 USB 2.0 ports. I plugged it in, loaded the drivers, plugged in
the external HD and once again, I see all my files on the Acom HD. But
transfer speeds have not changed. It's still going at 1.1 rates. I
tested a file transfer...the 1.1 ports and 2.0 ports transfer the file
at the same speed...there is no difference.

What could be wrong?

How are you measuring speed? What is the speed?

Andrew Rossmann

[This followup was posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage and a copy
was sent to the cited author.]

I have an AMD Athlon 1900 system with 512 megs of RAM. The
motherboard came with USB 1.1 ports. About a year or so ago, I bought
an 80 gig Acom USB 2.0 external HD. It's backward compatible to USB
1.1, so things have worked fine.

Tonight, I decided that I'd like to finally utilize all this speed the
drive has to offer and bought a USB 2.0 card. This new card came
with 4 USB 2.0 ports. I plugged it in, loaded the drivers, plugged in
the external HD and once again, I see all my files on the Acom HD. But
transfer speeds have not changed. It's still going at 1.1 rates. I
tested a file transfer...the 1.1 ports and 2.0 ports transfer the file
at the same speed...there is no difference.

Which version of Windows, and is it fully updated with all patches and
service packs?

mark

CWatters said:
See both of these in help and Support. I recall it matters how you got
SP1...

INFO: Availability of USB 2.0 Support in Windows XP SP1
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329632&FR=1&PA=1&SD=HSCH

Availability of the Windows XP SP1 USB 1.1 and 2.0 Update
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822603&FR=1&PA=1&SD=HSCH

Folks,

Many, many thanks to all on this newsgroup. My USB 2.0 card is now
working properly.:):)

It appears that on install, I accidentally skipped over a Windows
driver file. I grabbed the disk, reinstalled drivers, rebooted and
when the windows hardware wizard came up, navigated to the drivers
folder in windows 98se, found the file and installed.:) So far, so
good!:) I can now move a 630 meg file from my HD to the External HD
in 30 seconds!:)

Again, I appreciate all the help. It was invaluable in helping me
troubleshoot my problem.:)

Ron Reaugh

mark said:
"CWatters" <[email protected]> wrote in message http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822603&FR=1&PA=1&SD=HSCH

Folks,

Many, many thanks to all on this newsgroup. My USB 2.0 card is now
working properly.:):)

It appears that on install, I accidentally skipped over a Windows
driver file. I grabbed the disk, reinstalled drivers, rebooted and
when the windows hardware wizard came up, navigated to the drivers
folder in windows 98se, found the file and installed.:) So far, so
good!:) I can now move a 630 meg file from my HD to the External HD
in 30 seconds!:)

About 21MB/sec. and does prove USB 2.0.