    is there a reason that this page cannot be subscribed to ? it is
    genreating a rss 2.0 feed

    thanks

    fredd00, Jul 18, 2007

  2. fredd00

    Mike Guest

    Did you try the suggestion that was made to you yesterday on this same
    posting?

    try and read the feed via your code:
    Dataset.ReadXML(your rss feed);

    and see if that works, if your using Google Reader it may be something with
    that. I ran into a similiar issue with a generated RSS feed, I couldn't read
    it through google but I was able to read it through my web part. So try
    that.

    --
    Mike
    'IGotYourDotNet'

    Mike, Jul 18, 2007

  3. fredd00

    Patrice Guest

    You could try a feed validator such as :
    http://validator.w3.org/feed/

    --
    Patrice

    Patrice, Jul 18, 2007
  4. fredd00

    Steve Guest

    that will only validate the sytnax of the RSS feed, it won't let you know if
    you can subscribe to it or not.

    Steve, Jul 18, 2007
  5. fredd00

    Patrice Guest

    Yes, the idea is first to make sure that the RSS feed is correct to then
    concentrate on either the source feed or how Google Reader (that works for
    now here) sees the feed.

    --
    Patrice

    Patrice, Jul 19, 2007
  6. fredd00

    Steve Guest

    If he's able to see it the RSS XML via the browsers, then won't validating
    defeat the purpose?

    My thought is, he should provide the entire URL to the feed and see if
    anyone else can 'subscribe' to it, like you said, it may be the way Google
    is trying to parse the XML. I ran into a similar issue when I was trying to
    subscribe to a feed using their reader. I then gave up and created my own
    web page to view all the RSS feeds I wanted.

    it was much easier then trying to figure out why Google wasn't reading the
    feed

    Steve, Jul 19, 2007
  7. fredd00

    Patrice Guest

    Wonder also if it wasn't a problem with the URL (wondered if he used a
    relative path ? would be an obvious mistake but who knows as he didn't
    mention he didn't want to give the full url). Also he didn't detailed what
    he saw in the browser (for example if he uses a style sheet to format the
    feed it could also display the feed correctly if the stylesheet were done
    assuming the same format error or a browser could be somewhat resilient to a
    feed error to be liberal with what is accepted (for example some tools are
    stuffing a player link for mp3 items etc...) plus in some cases one accepts
    html inside items while another one won't want this etc...

    So IMO the very first step would be to make 100% sure the feed is valid to
    go further down in the binary tree of possible errors....

    ---

    Patrice, Jul 20, 2007
  8. fredd00

    Mike Guest

    Good point, if he posted the actual URL for the feed, it would be easier to
    determine if its a XML issue or the reader is using to parse it out.

    Mike, Jul 20, 2007