Norton Ghost -Computer says NO

Reaction score
I have read the Norton Ghost 9 help file but I am still not sure. I know you techies will know.
I have just had to re-install my PC completely from scratch (2 days out of your life finding the disks and getting product activation 4 genuine XP Homes but which was which machine etc..)
At the moment the PC is running like the proverbial off the shovel so thought I would use my Norton Ghost 9 for the first time and copy the hard drive in this blissful state.
Although I have a 462Gb HDD (Raid 0) only 10.7 Gb is used. I have an external USB2 Hard Drive 160Gb.
When I go through all the Ghost 9 preparation I get "The Computer Says NO " equivalent. Am I right in thinking it will only do this if your destination HDD is the same size i.e. 462Gb. I realise I can do backup rather than copy but I wouldn't need Norton Ghost to do that I could just drag drop and go and make a cup of tea. So what is the point of Norton Ghost 9 exactly......?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
tellboy said:
So what is the point of Norton Ghost 9 exactly......?
To fool you into thinking you got a good deal ... chuck it in the bin and get a 'real' back-up program.

Want to borrow my Dive Image program ... oh, no wait, you can't ... Norton bought them out and dropped it, so no updates. :rolleyes:

Hang on ... I have Acronis TrueImage here though. :thumb:

:D

Reaction score
Thanks Mucks. I have spent a fortune on Norton Products Lovely shelf of Yellow boxes still and gradually got rid of em all despite the damned things hanging on to every last file by its fingernails in some sub..sub directory you cant find and messing up and insisting on being reported to Microsoft reporting for the billionth time.

Aaaaagh now I have to try and get Ghost off my newly configured PC..

muckshifter

Reaction score
tellboy said:
Thanks Mucks. I have spent a fortune on Norton Products Lovely shelf of Yellow boxes still and gradually got rid of em all despite the damned things hanging on to every last file by its fingernails in some sub..sub directory you cant find and messing up and insisting on being reported to Microsoft reporting for the billionth time.

Aaaaagh now I have to try and get Ghost off my newly configured PC..
hehe ... I got them boxes as well ... then I got ****ed off one day and took the easy route ... Formated my HD using Linux.

Oh I do like to be beside the seaside ... oh I do like to be beside the sea ... come on sing up. :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Acronis True Image is a fine product, I have it, it works.

I have version 8, but there's a version 9 out now.

It will back up a RAID 0 install but here's the rub, when you go to reinstall from a backup, True Image won't see a RAID 0 config.

I e-mailed Acronis several times trying to get an answer or a solution but all I ever received back was a stock reply and eventually a load of pigeon english (possibly Taiwanese english) that made no sense whatsoever.

I don't actually know of any backup software that will recognise a RAID 0 config for reinstall.

All True Image saw was two seperate disks.

muckshifter

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I don't actually know of any backup software that will recognise a RAID 0 config for reinstall.
Isn't that what RAID 5 is for?

The real purpose of a RAID array is not data backup at all. RAID was created to increase the speed of accessing files (data throughput), and increase the logical size of a "hard drive." In my day, given how often any given hard drive fails, it was essential that RAID be designed with built in redundancy ...The ability to survive the loss of a hard drive, and replace the failed drive without a system crash ... But don't confuse hard drive redundancy with a true Backup ... no IT professional worth his salt would ever consider using RAID as a substitute for a reliable daily backup ... and neither should you. Protect yourself with Remote Data Backups!

;)

Ask a Question