Norton Ghost 9/2003 doesn't see my partitions

LaphLaw

Okay, this problem is really starting to get to me. I'm using Windows
2000 SP4, and Norton Ghost will only see my C: partition. I have two
other partitions, d: and e:. I read somewhere that it won't write to
ntfs partitions... however, the 2003 version says it does support it.
I went ahead anyway and formated a partition using fat32. Still no
luck. Uninstalled and reinstalled program. No luck. Tried using
Ghost 9. This won't even see my C: drive and I can't use the program
at all.

What's going on here??

Peter

When you boot your PC with Ghost floppy, does it see more than one partition
as the source (disk->partition)? What are your partition types (basic,
dynamic)?

LaphLaw

Well mine doesn't have a floppy drive... but I remember when I booted
with an image cd I had made previously, it saw all my partitions.
They are all basic partitions.

Emmitsuks

Well mine doesn't have a floppy drive... but I remember when I booted
with an image cd I had made previously, it saw all my partitions.
They are all basic partitions.

I am running XP SP2 using Ghost 9.0. I have created an Image of my C:
drive and copied it to an F: drive successfully using Ghost 9. Both HD
are NTFS.
However when I boot off the CD and try to restore the image from F: to
C:, Ghost does not find the F: drive.
It did find it when running the copy from the OS.
It can obvously see NTFS when I dumped it while the OS was up and
running, however when booted from CD it doesn't find it.

Peter

Then please describe in steps how did you use Norton Ghost 2003 to check if
it sees your partitions?
(Ghost 9 is totally different program). What partitions do you currently
have on your disk and what disk is that?

Peter

What type of disk is drive F:? Is it attached to the same disk conroller as
drive C:?
What is the image file name?

LaphLaw

Well, I took off Ghost 2003, but from what I remember... I clicked on
the back up your computer button, then it asks you what partition you
want to save. My partitions don't even show up there... it only shows
the c: drive. Then, if I try and save the c: partition to another (on
the same physical drive) it gave me an error saying something like it
couldn't find that partition... don't remember exactly what it said.

Peter

Can you list your current partitions and specify their file system type
(FAT32 or NTFS)?
If it sees only C: partition, how can you save C: partition to another
partition? There IS NO other partition visible! Lets solve the partition
visibility problem first.

LaphLaw

Yeah, I know... I was just telling you the error I was getting.

Anyway, I have a c: as ntfs, d: as ntfs, and e: as fat32. I think it
might be worth mentioning that I remember before, Ghost 2003 did see
my other partitions... I was running XP Home at the time. I'm on W2k
now, but it shouldn't matter what OS you use, since they're both
compatible.

Nicola

I'm having the same problem. Running on a W2K Pro SP4 machine, Ghost
9.0 is not showing my C: drive (NTFS)! It does however show my slave
drive H: (NTFS) for some reason...

Perhaps I should try Ghost 2003? I just really like 9.0's simple
interface.

Sorry I don't have a solution, but I just thought empathize and share
in your agony.

Michael Kimmer

Nicola said:
I'm having the same problem. Running on a W2K Pro SP4 machine, Ghost
9.0 is not showing my C: drive (NTFS)! It does however show my slave
drive H: (NTFS) for some reason...

Perhaps I should try Ghost 2003? I just really like 9.0's simple
interface.

Sorry I don't have a solution, but I just thought empathize and share
in your agony.

(e-mail address removed) (LaphLaw) wrote in message

Probably, your Windows 2000 needs a boost in order to fully support an IDE
disk that has a capacity that exceeds 128 GB.
What size reports the LDM (Windows' Disk Manager)?

If it limits to 128 GB, please, visit this page:

M.f.G.
Michael Kimmer

"Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
"Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"