    Would any MVP or somebody with a thorough understanding of this trick help
    me understand it? I tender my appreciation and regards in anticipation.
    Thanks.

    Shaukat, Apr 12, 2008

  2. Shaukat

    Duane Hookom Guest

    I never do this since I find it confusing. I want to see actual field names
    when viewing tables. For all users, I create forms where I can use any
    caption I want in label controls.

    However, you can change the caption property in the table design. I think
    the only value of this might be in applying an appropriate caption property
    to labels when building forms and reports.

    IMHO, don't set these properties of fields in table design
    - Input Mask
    - Format
    - Lookup
    - Caption
    - displayed decimal places

    --
    Duane Hookom
    Microsoft Access MVP

    Duane Hookom, Apr 12, 2008

  3. I just think that was probably the stupidest answer ever.

    The field has a CAPTION on it.
    If you were just using SQL Server; it would be _QUITE_ easy to remove
    all of these captions in one simple SQL Statement.
    Jet just doesn't have this functionality.

    When your database is too tired or worn out to 'keep it up' then move
    to SQL Server.

    -Aaron

    a a r o n . k e m p f @ g m a i l . c o m, Apr 12, 2008
  4. I'm just not positive that I agree with this.

    It's _FINE_ to use captions. You just can remove that one caption if
    you want.
    That doesn't mean you need to remove all of them.

    If you _DID_ want to remove all of those captions; it would be quite
    easy.. if you had just followed 'Microsoft Access Best Practices' and
    moved to Access Data Projects. Again- you could run a simple query in
    dtproperties table I think.. and delete that stuff without any trouble
    at all.

    Sorry

    -Aaron

    a a r o n . k e m p f @ g m a i l . c o m, Apr 12, 2008
  5. Shaukat

    boblarson Guest

    No, they are NOT using the caption to display the PRODUCT NAME. A CAPTION
    only shows at the column header it has NOTHING to do with the data within the
    Column. Sheesh - Given your "experience" with Access you should know that
    one.

    --
    Bob Larson
    Access World Forums Super Moderator

    __________________________________

    boblarson, Apr 13, 2008
  6. Aaron,

    Talk about the dumbest answer....that would be your reply to this post. And
    you claim that you know Access like the back of your hand? BS. FYI, both
    ruralguy and Bob Larson posted the correct answers. You don't know Access. No
    wonder you complain all the time about how much trouble you've had in the
    past with your JET databases.

    Shaukat is seeing the effect of a Lookup defined at the table level. Here is
    a Microsoft Knowledge Base article that shows you how to do this:

    How to add lookup fields in a Microsoft Access table
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304462

    However, as others have already pointed out, you may want to reconsider
    implementing lookup fields defined at the table or query level for the
    reasons given in the 2nd Commandment of Access:

    The Ten Commandments of Access
    http://www.mvps.org/access/tencommandments.htm

    Tom Wickerath
    Microsoft Access MVP
    http://www.accessmvp.com/TWickerath/
    http://www.access.qbuilt.com/html/expert_contributors.html

    Tom Wickerath, Apr 13, 2008
  7. Shaukat

    Guest

    On Apr 12, 3:31 pm, "a a r o n . k e m p f @ g m a i l . c o m"
    <> wrote:

    > If you _DID_ want to remove all of those captions; it would be quite
    > easy.. if you had just followed 'Microsoft Access Best Practices' and
    > moved to Access Data Projects.  Again- you could run a simple query in
    > dtproperties table I think.. and delete that stuff without any trouble
    > at all.

    Find one Microsoft article in the last year or 2 that 'Microsoft
    Access Best Practices' suggests moving to Access Data Projects. Once
    again you show your utter lack of knowledge about Access, or ADP's, or
    even SQL-Server. Microsoft has done few improvements (other than bug
    fixes) in ADP's in the last release. That suggests they are
    deprecating Data Projects in the near future.

    It is better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are
    stupid than open it and prove it to the world. I had suggested that
    you go to the SQL-Server groups, but they don't want you either. Leave
    the grown-ups alone. The only thing left for you is to go play with
    yourself.

    , Apr 13, 2008