non responsive

mark

I am having major problems with outlook xp becoming non
responsive as it begins checking emails. I have deleted
office and reinstalled added updates, restarted the
computer so many times without success. Anti virus is up
to daye have run disc scan nothing and still the problem
persists - any clues

*Vanguard*

"mark" said in news:[email protected]:
I am having major problems with outlook xp becoming non
responsive as it begins checking emails. I have deleted
office and reinstalled added updates, restarted the
computer so many times without success. Anti virus is up
to daye have run disc scan nothing and still the problem
persists - any clues

Have you yet tried to disable e-mail scanning in your anti-virus software
(which you didn't bother to mention)?

Have you checked what add-ins have been installed in Outlook (Tools menu ->
Options -> Other -> Advanced)? Have you tried starting Outlook in safe mode
("outlook.exe /safe"), which will not load the add-ins, to see if Outlook
then works okay?

Do you have a firewall program running? Tried disabling it yet while using
Outlook?

Before you load Outlook, is there still a remnant but hung outlook.exe
process lingering around in memory (check under Task Manager's Process tab)?
Sometimes when closing Outlook, it hangs. Its window disappears but it
process does not completely get killed and unloaded. This remnant
outlook.exe process can royally screw over Outlook, other Office components,
Explorer, and other file operations. Also check if there is a remnant
winword.exe process when Word appears to NOT be running, especially if you
configured Outlook to use Word as the e-mail editor. Word has exhibited the
same defect as Outlook in not always unloading completely. Microsoft never
fixed this.

mark

--
_________________________________________________________ ___
*** Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail is not accepted. ***

.
Have basically tried what you suggested. Norton
antivrius which we have been running for ages (over
3years) without problems. The firewall through our server
has again caused no problems

What is happening is when you go to Task Manager you see
two inbox - not responding messages come up.

How do you start outlook in safe modewithout starte=ing
the whole system in safe mode??

*Vanguard*

mark said:
Have basically tried what you suggested. Norton
antivrius which we have been running for ages (over
3years) without problems.

Does that mean you have actually yet tried to disable its e-mail
scanning (inbound and outbound) to ensure it isn't causing a problem
now?
The firewall through our server
has again caused no problems

So you have tested Outlook with your firewall disabled, right?
What is happening is when you go to Task Manager you see
two inbox - not responding messages come up.

As per my prior post where I mention to look for an occurrence of
outlook.exe in Task Manager's Process panel, and BEFORE you start
Outlook, were there NO existing instances of outlook.exe already loaded?
If Task Manager shows absolutely no instances of outlook.exe then you're
saying that loading Outlook will end up loading 2 instances of
outlook.exe?
How do you start outlook in safe modewithout starte=ing
the whole system in safe mode??

As per my prior post, run "outlook.exe /safe". You don't run the OS in
safe mode. You only run the Outlook application in its safe mode. That
prevents loading all the add-ins attached to Outlook when you load
Outlook.

What is your current list of add-ins under Outlook (Tools -> Options ->
Other -> Advanced, both COM plug-ins and Add-Ins)?

How are you starting Outlook? From a mailto:// link? From a shortcut?

Have you tried using msconfig.exe to disable all startup programs,
reboot, and then see if Outlook runs okay?