Non-printable characters in query results...why ?

I have a query that is run off of a form, with parameters passed to the query
from the form. When this displays the results on screen, one of the fields
that happens to be a passed parameter displays as non-printable characters on
screen, even though they are keyed into the form field correctly. The field
in question is the "Percentage of Increase", which is entered on the form as
0.03 for three percent. What displays is something like this: 馚香香㾹.

Here's the code on the "process" button on the form:

Private Sub print_retro_calc_Click()
On Error GoTo Err_print_retro_calc

Dim stDocName As String
Dim whrpt As Long
stDocName = "calculation of retro pay"

DoCmd.OpenQuery stDocName

Exit_print_retro_calc:
Exit Sub

Err_print_retro_calc:
MsgBox Err.Description
Resume Exit_print_retro_calc
End Sub

and here's the SQL version of the query "calculation of retro pay"

SELECT retro_old_hrly_rate_calculation.employee_num,
retro_old_hrly_rate_calculation.employee_name,
retro_old_hrly_rate_calculation.[Cost Center],
retro_old_hrly_rate_calculation.[Old Hrly Rate], [Old Hrly
Rate]*(1+[forms]![process_retro_calc]![incr_pct]) AS [New Hrly Rate],
[forms]![process_retro_calc]![incr_pct] AS [Percentage of Increase], [Old
Hrly Rate]*[forms]![process_retro_calc]![incr_pct] AS [Amount of Increase],
labor_distribution.ppe_date, labor_distribution.reghrs,
labor_distribution.othrs, labor_distribution.vachrs,
labor_distribution.holhrs, labor_distribution.sickhrs, ([reghrs]*[Old Hrly
Rate]*(1+[forms]![process_retro_calc]![incr_pct]))-([reghrs]*[Old Hrly Rate])
AS retro_reg, ([othrs]*[Old Hrly
Rate]*(1+[forms]![process_retro_calc]![incr_pct])*1.5)-([othrs]*[Old Hrly
Rate]*1.5) AS retro_ot, ([vachrs]*[Old Hrly
Rate]*(1+[forms]![process_retro_calc]![incr_pct]))-([vachrs]*[Old Hrly Rate])
AS retro_vac, ([holhrs]*[Old Hrly
Rate]*(1+[forms]![process_retro_calc]![incr_pct]))-([holhrs]*[Old Hrly Rate])
AS retro_hol, ([sickhrs]*[Old Hrly
Rate]*(1+[forms]![process_retro_calc]![incr_pct]))-([sickhrs]*[Old Hrly
Rate]) AS retro_sick
FROM retro_old_hrly_rate_calculation INNER JOIN labor_distribution ON
retro_old_hrly_rate_calculation.employee_num = labor_distribution.employee_num
WHERE
(((retro_old_hrly_rate_calculation.employee_num)=[forms]![process_retro_calc]![Select_employee])
AND
((labor_distribution.ppe_date)>=[forms]![process_retro_calc]![select_ppe]));

Any ideas why it is doing what it is doing ? I'm baffled, and I need this
to work as I will be changing comapnies shortly and need to pass this along
in working order to the people who will be using it in the future. Thanks in
advance !!!

Albert D.Kallal

It sounds to me like you got some people hitting ctrl-enter.

Remember, any text box on a screen can have multiple lines.

Open up a form, and place your cursor in a text control

Now type:

this<ctrl-Enter)
is

If you look at your field close, you will see ONLY the "is", start pressing
the back arrow key, and eventually, you will see the"this"

So, what has happened is you likely got a few records with multiple lines.

Note that for larger text boxes, you can actually set the "enter" key to go
to the next line (for a large comments text box, this is most useful
feature).

Fred Boer

Dear Albert:

I didn't know that, and I'm glad you mentioned it! That is way better than
hitting Ctrl-Enter in a textbox, which is what I have been doing.... Wish
I'd learned about that some time ago!

Thanks!
Fred

Albert,

Great thought, but unfortunately that is not my problem. I am currently the
only user on this application and I KNOW I am not hitting Control-Enter. In
fact, I don't even hit enter to get the form to process, I click the button
with my mouse.

Thanks for the info on the "Enter" key for large text boxes, I did not know
about that !

Ken Snell [MVP]

Just a guess, but is "calculation of retro pay" query a totals query? And is
the field that displays the non-English characters a memo field? And are you
grouping on that field?

Assuming "yes" is the answer to all of these, the easiest "fix" I use is to
change the aggregate function for the memo field to First instead of Group
By.

--

Ken Snell
<MS ACCESS MVP>

Eric @ SEASH said:
[...]

Yet another great thought, Ken, but the query is a "select" query that is not
a totals query. The field where I am having the problem is in the query, not
in a talbe that the query is based on. The field in quetion gets a value from
the form field on the form that is used to execute the query, and in the
query it is formated to a percentage format.

Any other ideas ??

Eric @ SEASH said:
[...]

Can you post the SQL statement? let's see what you have.. might trigger some
additional thoughts. Include info re: the type of data on form, etc.
--

Ken Snell
<MS ACCESS MVP>

Ken Snell said:
Just a guess, but is "calculation of retro pay" query a totals query? And
is
the field that displays the non-English characters a memo field? And are
you
grouping on that field?

Assuming "yes" is the answer to all of these, the easiest "fix" I use is
change the aggregate function for the memo field to First instead of
Group
By.

--

Ken Snell
<MS ACCESS MVP>

"Eric @ SEASH, Evansville"
<[email protected]>
wrote in message
[...]

Below is the print from using "Documenter" on the form....should include all
the details you are looking for.

Thanks !

S:\SEASH\SEASH Main\labor_DISTRIBUTION.mdb Thursday, September 22, 2005
Form: process_retro_calc Page: 1
Properties
AllowAdditions: True AllowDeletions: True
AllowDesignChanges: True AllowEditing: True
AllowEdits: True AllowFilters: True
AllowUpdating: No AutoCenter: True
AutoResize: True BorderStyle: Thin
Caption: St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Hospital CloseButton: False
Accrual Summary Menu
Container: Forms ControlBox: True
Count: 13 CurrentView: 0
Cycle: All Records DataEntry: False
DatasheetBackColor: 16777215 DatasheetBorderLineStyl 1
DatasheetCellsEffect: Flat DatasheetColumnHeader 1
DatasheetFontHeight: 10 DatasheetFontItalic: False
DatasheetFontName: Arial DatasheetFontUnderline: False
DatasheetFontWeight: Normal DatasheetForeColor: 0
DatasheetGridlinesBehavi Both DatasheetGridlinesColor: 12632256
Date Created: 4/27/2005 3:12:54 PM DefaultEditing: 2
DefaultView: Single Form DividingLines: False
FastLaserPrinting: True FilterOn: False
FrozenColumns: 1 GridX: 24
GridY: 24 GUID: Long binary data
HasModule: True HelpContextId: 0
HorizontalDatasheetGridli 1 Hwnd: 1770122
InsideHeight: 4185 InsideWidth: 5760
KeyPreview: False Last Updated: 4/27/2005 3:12:54 PM
LayoutForPrint: False LogicalPageWidth: 9360
MaxButton: False MinButton: False
MinMaxButtons: None Modal: False
NameMap: Long binary data NavigationButtons: False
OnOpen: hide database window OrderByOn: False
Owner: admin Painting: True
PaletteSource: (Default) Picture: (none)
PictureAlignment: Center PictureSizeMode: Clip
PictureTiling: False PictureType: 0
PopUp: False PrtDevMode: Long binary data
PrtDevNames: Long binary data PrtMip: Long binary data
RecordLocks: No Locks RecordSelectors: False
RecordsetType: Dynaset RecordSource: accr_date_select
RowHeight: Default ScrollBars: Neither
ShortcutMenu: False ShowGrid: True
SubdatasheetExpanded: False SubdatasheetHeight: 0
TimerInterval: 0 UserName: admin
VerticalDatasheetGridline 1 ViewsAllowed: Form
Visible: False WhatsThisButton: False
Width: 5760 WindowHeight: 4890
WindowWidth: 6180
Objects
Section: Detail

S:\SEASH\SEASH Main\labor_DISTRIBUTION.mdb Thursday, September 22, 2005
Form: process_retro_calc Page: 2
BackColor: -2147483633 CanGrow: False
CanShrink: False DisplayWhen: Always
EventProcPrefix: Detail ForceNewPage: None
HasContinued: False Height: 4200
InSelection: False KeepTogether: False
Name: Detail NewRowOrCol: None
SpecialEffect: Flat Visible: True
WillContinue: False
Command Button: cancel_accrsumm
AutoRepeat: False Cancel: False
Caption: Exit System ControlType: 104
Default: False DisplayWhen: Always
Enabled: True EventProcPrefix: cancel_accrsumm
FontBold: No FontItalic: False
FontName: Tahoma FontSize: 8
FontUnderline: False FontWeight: Normal
ForeColor: -2147483630 Height: 360
HelpContextId: 0 Left: 3300
Name: cancel_accrsumm OnClick: [Event Procedure]
Picture: (none) PictureType: 0
Section: 0 TabIndex: 3
TabStop: True TextFontCharSet: 0
Top: 3640 Transparent: False
Visible: True Width: 1740
Command Button: goto_access
AutoRepeat: False Cancel: False
Caption: Go to Database ControlType: 104
Default: False DisplayWhen: Always
Enabled: True EventProcPrefix: goto_access
FontBold: No FontItalic: False
FontName: Tahoma FontSize: 8
FontUnderline: False FontWeight: Normal
ForeColor: -2147483630 Height: 360
HelpContextId: 0 Left: 3300
Name: goto_access OnClick: unhide database window2
Picture: (none) PictureType: 0
Section: 0 TabIndex: 2
TabStop: True TextFontCharSet: 0
Top: 3240 Transparent: False
Visible: True Width: 1740
Text Box: incr_pct
AllowAutoCorrect: True AutoTab: False
BackColor: 16777215 BackStyle: Normal
BorderColor: 0 BorderLineStyle: Solid
BorderStyle: Transparent BorderWidth: Hairline
BottomMargin: 0 CanGrow: False
CanShrink: False ColumnHidden: False
ColumnOrder: Default ColumnWidth: Default
ControlType: 109 DecimalPlaces: 2
DisplayWhen: Always Enabled: True
EnterKeyBehavior: False EventProcPrefix: incr_pct
FilterLookup: Database Default FontBold: No

S:\SEASH\SEASH Main\labor_DISTRIBUTION.mdb Thursday, September 22, 2005
Form: process_retro_calc Page: 3
FontWeight: Normal ForeColor: 0
Format: Percent Height: 240
HelpContextId: 0 IsHyperlink: False
Left: 4080 LeftMargin: 0
LineSpacing: 0 Locked: False
Name: incr_pct OldBorderStyle: 0
RightMargin: 0 ScrollBars: Neither
Section: 0 SpecialEffect: Sunken
TabIndex: 7 TabStop: True
TextAlign: General TextFontCharSet: 0
Top: 2700 TopMargin: 0
Vertical: False Visible: True
Width: 1440
Label: Label0
BackColor: 16777215 BackStyle: Transparent
BorderColor: 0 BorderLineStyle: Solid
BorderStyle: Transparent BorderWidth: Hairline
BottomMargin: 0 Caption: St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Hospital
Labor Distribution Database
Retro Pay & Lump Sum Pay Calculation
ControlType: 100 DisplayWhen: Always
EventProcPrefix: Label0 FontBold: Yes
FontItalic: False FontName: Tahoma
FontSize: 10 FontUnderline: False
FontWeight: Bold ForeColor: 0
Height: 735 HelpContextId: 0
Left: 180 LeftMargin: 0
LineSpacing: 0 Name: Label0
OldBorderStyle: 0 RightMargin: 0
Section: 0 SpecialEffect: Flat
TextAlign: Center TextFontCharSet: 0
Top: 120 TopMargin: 0
Vertical: False Visible: True
Width: 5400
Label: Label19
BackColor: 16777215 BackStyle: Transparent
BorderColor: 0 BorderLineStyle: Solid
BorderStyle: Transparent BorderWidth: Hairline
BottomMargin: 0 Caption: Effective Date:
ControlType: 100 DisplayWhen: Always
EventProcPrefix: Label19 FontBold: No
FontItalic: False FontName: Tahoma
FontSize: 8 FontUnderline: False
FontWeight: Normal ForeColor: 0
Height: 240 HelpContextId: 0
Left: 1635 LeftMargin: 0
LineSpacing: 0 Name: Label19
OldBorderStyle: 0 RightMargin: 0
Section: 0 SpecialEffect: Flat
TextAlign: Center TextFontCharSet: 0
Top: 2400 TopMargin: 0
Vertical: False Visible: True
Width: 1155
Label: Label22

S:\SEASH\SEASH Main\labor_DISTRIBUTION.mdb Thursday, September 22, 2005
Form: process_retro_calc Page: 4
BackColor: 16777215 BackStyle: Transparent
BorderColor: 0 BorderLineStyle: Solid
BorderStyle: Transparent BorderWidth: Hairline
BottomMargin: 0 Caption: Percentage Increase (enter .02 for a 2%
increase):
ControlType: 100 DisplayWhen: Always
EventProcPrefix: Label22 FontBold: No
FontItalic: False FontName: Tahoma
FontSize: 8 FontUnderline: False
FontWeight: Normal ForeColor: 0
Height: 240 HelpContextId: 0
Left: 240 LeftMargin: 0
LineSpacing: 0 Name: Label22
OldBorderStyle: 0 RightMargin: 0
Section: 0 SpecialEffect: Flat
TextAlign: General TextFontCharSet: 0
Top: 2700 TopMargin: 0
Vertical: False Visible: True
Width: 3780
Label: Label44
BackColor: 16777215 BackStyle: Transparent
BorderColor: 0 BorderLineStyle: Solid
BorderStyle: Transparent BorderWidth: Hairline
BottomMargin: 0 Caption: Employee:
ControlType: 100 DisplayWhen: Always
EventProcPrefix: Label44 FontBold: No
FontItalic: False FontName: Tahoma
FontSize: 8 FontUnderline: False
FontWeight: Normal ForeColor: 0
Height: 240 HelpContextId: 0
Left: 540 LeftMargin: 0
LineSpacing: 0 Name: Label44
OldBorderStyle: 0 RightMargin: 0
Section: 0 SpecialEffect: Flat
TextAlign: General TextFontCharSet: 0
Top: 2040 TopMargin: 0
Vertical: False Visible: True
Width: 900
Label: Label8
BackColor: 16777215 BackStyle: Transparent
BorderColor: 0 BorderLineStyle: Solid
BorderStyle: Transparent BorderWidth: Hairline
BottomMargin: 0 Caption: Select the Employee you wish to
calculate a retro pay on. Select the
effective date the increase is effective.
Enter the percetage of increase, for
example for three and one half percent
enter 3.5. Press "Process Report" to
execute.
ControlType: 100 DisplayWhen: Always
EventProcPrefix: Label8 FontBold: Yes
FontItalic: False FontName: Tahoma
FontSize: 8 FontUnderline: False
FontWeight: Bold ForeColor: 0
Height: 840 HelpContextId: 0
Left: 180 LeftMargin: 0

S:\SEASH\SEASH Main\labor_DISTRIBUTION.mdb Thursday, September 22, 2005
Form: process_retro_calc Page: 5
LineSpacing: 0 Name: Label8
OldBorderStyle: 0 RightMargin: 0
Section: 0 SpecialEffect: Flat
TextAlign: Center TextFontCharSet: 0
Top: 1020 TopMargin: 0
Vertical: False Visible: True
Width: 5400
Command Button: print_retro_calc
AutoRepeat: False Cancel: False
Caption: Process Report ControlType: 104
Default: False DisplayWhen: Always
Enabled: True EventProcPrefix: print_retro_calc
FontBold: No FontItalic: False
FontName: Tahoma FontSize: 8
FontUnderline: False FontWeight: Normal
ForeColor: -2147483630 Height: 360
HelpContextId: 0 Left: 720
Name: print_retro_calc OnClick: [Event Procedure]
Picture: (none) PictureType: 0
Section: 0 TabIndex: 1
TabStop: True TextFontCharSet: 0
Top: 3240 Transparent: False
Visible: True Width: 1755
Command Button: rtnmain2
AutoRepeat: False Cancel: False
Caption: Return to Main Menu ControlType: 104
Default: False DisplayWhen: Always
Enabled: True EventProcPrefix: rtnmain2
FontBold: No FontItalic: False
FontName: Tahoma FontSize: 8
FontUnderline: False FontWeight: Normal
ForeColor: -2147483630 Height: 360
HelpContextId: 0 Left: 720
Name: rtnmain2 OnClick: [Event Procedure]
Picture: (none) PictureType: 0
Section: 0 TabIndex: 0
TabStop: True TextFontCharSet: 0
Top: 3640 Transparent: False
Visible: True Width: 1755
Combo Box: Select_employee
AllowAutoCorrect: True AutoExpand: True
BackColor: 16777215 BackStyle: Normal
BorderColor: 0 BorderLineStyle: Solid
BorderStyle: Solid BorderWidth: Hairline
BoundColumn: 1 ColumnCount: 2
ColumnHeads: False ColumnHidden: False
ColumnOrder: Default ColumnWidth: Default
ColumnWidths: 1440;2220 ControlType: 111
DecimalPlaces: Auto DisplayWhen: Always
Enabled: True EventProcPrefix: Select_employee
FontBold: No FontItalic: False
FontName: Tahoma FontSize: 8
FontUnderline: False FontWeight: Normal
ForeColor: 0 Height: 240

S:\SEASH\SEASH Main\labor_DISTRIBUTION.mdb Thursday, September 22, 2005
Form: process_retro_calc Page: 6
HelpContextId: 0 IsHyperlink: False
Left: 1560 LimitToList: False
ListRows: 8 ListWidth: 3660
Locked: False Name: Select_employee
OldBorderStyle: 1 RowSource: SELECT
[select_employee].[employee_num],
[select_employee].[employee_name]
FROM select_employee;
RowSourceType: Table/Query Section: 0
SpecialEffect: Sunken TabIndex: 4
TabStop: True TextAlign: General
TextFontCharSet: 0 Top: 2040
Visible: True Width: 1440
Combo Box: select_ppe
AllowAutoCorrect: True AutoExpand: True
BackColor: 16777215 BackStyle: Normal
BorderColor: 0 BorderLineStyle: Solid
BorderStyle: Solid BorderWidth: Hairline
BoundColumn: 1 ColumnCount: 1
ColumnHeads: False ColumnHidden: False
ColumnOrder: Default ColumnWidth: Default
ColumnWidths: 1664 ControlType: 111
DecimalPlaces: Auto DisplayWhen: Always
Enabled: True EventProcPrefix: select_ppe
FontBold: No FontItalic: False
FontName: Tahoma FontSize: 8
FontUnderline: False FontWeight: Normal
ForeColor: 0 Height: 240
HelpContextId: 0 IsHyperlink: False
Left: 2880 LimitToList: True
ListRows: 8 ListWidth: 1665
Locked: False Name: select_ppe
OldBorderStyle: 1 RowSource: SELECT [ppe_select].[pay period
ending]+1 FROM ppe_select ORDER BY
[ppe_select].[pay period ending]
DESC;
RowSourceType: Table/Query Section: 0
SpecialEffect: Sunken TabIndex: 6
TabStop: True TextAlign: General
TextFontCharSet: 0 Top: 2400
Visible: True Width: 1440
Text Box: Text49
AllowAutoCorrect: True AutoTab: False
BackColor: 16777215 BackStyle: Normal
BorderColor: 0 BorderLineStyle: Solid
BorderStyle: Transparent BorderWidth: Hairline
BottomMargin: 0 CanGrow: False
CanShrink: False ColumnHidden: False
ColumnOrder: Default ColumnWidth: Default
ControlSource: =DLookUp("[employee_name]","emplo ControlType: 109
yee listing","[employee_num]=" &
[Forms]![process_retro_calc]![select_em
ployee])
DecimalPlaces: Auto DisplayWhen: Always
Enabled: True EnterKeyBehavior: False
EventProcPrefix: Text49 FilterLookup: Database Default

S:\SEASH\SEASH Main\labor_DISTRIBUTION.mdb Thursday, September 22, 2005
Form: process_retro_calc Page: 7
FontBold: No FontItalic: False
FontName: Tahoma FontSize: 8
FontUnderline: False FontWeight: Normal
ForeColor: 0 Height: 240
HelpContextId: 0 IsHyperlink: False
Left: 3060 LeftMargin: 0
LineSpacing: 0 Locked: False
Name: Text49 OldBorderStyle: 0
RightMargin: 0 ScrollBars: Neither
Section: 0 SpecialEffect: Sunken
TabIndex: 5 TabStop: True
TextAlign: General TextFontCharSet: 0
Top: 2040 TopMargin: 0
Vertical: False Visible: True
Width: 2160
Code
1 VERSION 1.0 CLASS
2 BEGIN
3 MultiUse = -1 'True
4 END
5 Attribute VB_Name = "Form_process_retro_calc"
6 Attribute VB_GlobalNameSpace = False
7 Attribute VB_Creatable = True
8 Attribute VB_PredeclaredId = True
9 Attribute VB_Exposed = False
10 Option Compare Database
11
12 Private Sub ldr_button_Click()
13 On Error GoTo Err_ldr_button_Click
14
15 Dim stDocName As String
16 Dim stLinkCriteria As String
17
18 stDocName = "process_ldr_select_ppe"
19 DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , stLinkCriteria
20
21 Exit_ldr_button_Click:
22 Exit Sub
23
24 Err_ldr_button_Click:
25 MsgBox Err.Description
26 Resume Exit_ldr_button_Click
27
28 End Sub
29 Private Sub accr_rpt_Click()
30 On Error GoTo Err_accr_rpt_Click
31
32 Dim stDocName As String
33
34 stDocName = "accrual summary details"
35 DoCmd.OpenReport stDocName, acPreview
36

S:\SEASH\SEASH Main\labor_DISTRIBUTION.mdb Thursday, September 22, 2005
Form: process_retro_calc Page: 8
37 Exit_accr_rpt_Click:
38 Exit Sub
39
40 Err_accr_rpt_Click:
41 MsgBox Err.Description
42 Resume Exit_accr_rpt_Click
43
44 End Sub
45
46
47 Private Sub cancel_accrsumm_Click()
48 On Error GoTo Err_cancel_accrsumm_Click
49
50
51 DoCmd.Quit
52
53 Exit_cancel_accrsumm_Click:
54 Exit Sub
55
56 Err_cancel_accrsumm_Click:
57 MsgBox Err.Description
58 Resume Exit_cancel_accrsumm_Click
59
60 End Sub
61
62 Private Sub rtnmain2_Click()
63 On Error GoTo Err_rtnmain2_Click
64
65 Dim stDocName As String
66 Dim stLinkCriteria As String
67
68 stDocName = "main_menu"
69 DoCmd.Close acForm, "process_ldr_select_ppe"
70 DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , stLinkCriteria
71
72 Exit_rtnmain2_Click:
73 Exit Sub
74
75 Err_rtnmain2_Click:
76 MsgBox Err.Description
77 Resume Exit_rtnmain2_Click
78
79 End Sub
80
81 Private Sub print_retro_calc_Click()
82 On Error GoTo Err_print_retro_calc
83
84 Dim stDocName As String
85 Dim whrpt As Long
86 stDocName = "calculation of retro pay"
87
88 DoCmd.OpenQuery stDocName
89
90 Exit_print_retro_calc:

S:\SEASH\SEASH Main\labor_DISTRIBUTION.mdb Thursday, September 22, 2005
Form: process_retro_calc Page: 9
91 Exit Sub
92
93 Err_print_retro_calc:
94 MsgBox Err.Description
95 Resume Exit_print_retro_calc
96 End Sub

wrote in message
[...]

Dirk Goldgar

<Eric @ SEASH>; "Evansville"
Yet another great thought, Ken, but the query is a "select" query
that is not a totals query. The field where I am having the problem
is in the query, not in a talbe that the query is based on. The field
in quetion gets a value from the form field on the form that is used
to execute the query, and in the query it is formated to a percentage
format.

One thing you might try is explicitly specifying the data type of the
parameter in the query; along the lines of

PARAMETERS [forms]![process_retro_calc]![incr_pct] IEEESingle;
[...]
]));

Ken Snell [MVP]

Dumb me.. you had posted it originally... my oversight, sorry.

In addition to Dirk's suggestion for explcitly declaring the data type of
the parameters, you could also use the Format function to format the
[forms]![process_retro_calc]![incr_pct] AS [Percentage of Increase]
calculated field (example below will show two decimal places, but you can
change it to what you want as the display type):

Format([forms]![process_retro_calc]![incr_pct], "0.00") AS [Percentage of
Increase]

I also assume that your query is not exceeding 2000 bytes per record?
--

Ken Snell
<MS ACCESS MVP>

wrote in message
[...]

Gary Walter

Hi Eric,

Just to review if I understand correctly...

on form "process_retro_calc"

you have a textbox "incr_pct"
whose format is "percent"
that user enters number like 3.5

in your query, all the calculations
work properly that involve the value
of this textbox,
but, where you just want to display
the value in a field of your query,
you get garbage characters?

Did you try explicitly setting the
type of this form parameter?

so start of your query would be

PARAMETERS forms!process_retro_calc!incr_pct Single;
SELECT retro_old_hrly_rate_calculation.employee_num,
[forms]![process_retro_calc]![incr_pct] AS [Percentage of Increase],

In query designer, if you right-mouse click
on the column for [Percentage of Increase]
and choose "Properties," do you have further
"Format" set?

Only things I could think of that might cause garbage...

good luck,

gary

Gary Walter

Sorry Ken and Dirk....

next time, I'll recheck for posts
before hitting send....

gary

Gentlemen,

Thanks for all your suggestions...sorry I haven't been participating in this
conversation for a few days....I'm about to change jobs and have WAY too much
to do at my current position in order to get things where they need to be for
me to feel good about leaving. In addition I am training my replacement too.
Assuming I can find the time to properly test your ideas I will....I do
appreciate all the assistance this forum had been !

Thanks !
Eric

<Eric @ SEASH>; "Evansville"

Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP