Noisy CPU Fan

Discussion in 'Windows XP Hardware' started by Guest, Apr 14, 2006.

    I realize that this may have nothing to do with Windows - then again, it just
    might!

    I've been working on a friend's Dell Dimension 8400 - the problem was a
    noisy CPU fan which I just replaced. The noise is now much better than it was
    - but intermittently the fan starts to make noise again. If I shut it down
    and wait a few minutes then it's quiet again.

    I haven't really figured out the pattern yet - it can go for a long period
    and still be quiet and other times it seems to get noisy right away.

    I have the same Dell machine - so I know that this is not normal. I realize
    that it could be that I got a bad part - but why is it only noisy sometimes -
    when the cpu gets hot? - when its quiet, the fan is still running; I can feel
    the wind.

    Is it possible the the operating system is somehow involved? All I did to
    install the part is remove the old and install the new - so should I have
    done something else?

    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

    Guest, Apr 14, 2006

  2. Pam wrote:
    > I realize that this may have nothing to do with Windows - then again, it just
    > might!
    >
    > I've been working on a friend's Dell Dimension 8400 - the problem was a
    > noisy CPU fan which I just replaced. The noise is now much better than it was
    > - but intermittently the fan starts to make noise again. If I shut it down
    > and wait a few minutes then it's quiet again.
    >
    > I haven't really figured out the pattern yet - it can go for a long period
    > and still be quiet and other times it seems to get noisy right away.
    >
    > I have the same Dell machine - so I know that this is not normal. I realize
    > that it could be that I got a bad part - but why is it only noisy sometimes -
    > when the cpu gets hot? - when its quiet, the fan is still running; I can feel
    > the wind.
    >
    > Is it possible the the operating system is somehow involved? All I did to
    > install the part is remove the old and install the new - so should I have
    > done something else?
    >
    > Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

    What you are probably hearing is the fan speeding up as the computer
    gets hotter. He may have problems with air flow in the case, the room
    temperature, the computing load, or the heatsink could have been
    improperly installed.

    Michael W. Ryder, Apr 14, 2006

    Papa Guest

    Sometimes new fans are defective. Since they only cost a few bucks, I
    suggest you return the fan and get a replacement that is a different brand.
    Good luck.

    Papa, Apr 14, 2006

    Vanguard Guest

    "Pam" <> wrote in message
    >I realize that this may have nothing to do with Windows - then again,
    >it just
    > might!
    >
    > I've been working on a friend's Dell Dimension 8400 - the problem was
    > noisy CPU fan which I just replaced. The noise is now much better than
    > it was
    > - but intermittently the fan starts to make noise again. If I shut it
    > down
    > and wait a few minutes then it's quiet again.
    >
    > I haven't really figured out the pattern yet - it can go for a long
    > period
    > and still be quiet and other times it seems to get noisy right away.
    >
    > I have the same Dell machine - so I know that this is not normal. I
    > realize
    > that it could be that I got a bad part - but why is it only noisy
    > sometimes -
    > when the cpu gets hot? - when its quiet, the fan is still running; I
    > can feel
    > the wind.
    >
    > Is it possible the the operating system is somehow involved? All I did
    > install the part is remove the old and install the new - so should I
    > have
    > done something else?

    What do you mean by "noise"? That the fan is louder, or that it makes a
    buzzing or some other sound? If it is just getting louder, that's the
    temperature control inside the Dell changing the fan *speed*. The
    faster a fan spins, the louder it gets.

    Just because you and your friend have the same hardware doesn't mean
    both of you have the same software concurrently loaded. Could be your
    friend's Dell has more stuff loaded into memory and which is more often
    I've been sometimes stuck with using a Dell at work and periodically I
    will hear its fan get louder and quieter simply because I am also
    periodically placing a different load on the processor (long enough to
    raise the temperature past some threshold).

    The fan doesn't stop spinning. It is just slowed down. That's why you
    feel the airflow when your friend's Dell is quiet[er]. For those of us
    not using a Dell and actually want some decent temperature and speed
    control, there is SpeedFan which has a similar function of changing the
    duty cycle of power to the fan but is more configurable.

    Post replies to the newsgroup. Share with others.

    Vanguard, Apr 15, 2006