No Video-No Beep Code

G

Greg T

I posted the message below about 3 weeks ago(with no responses). Since then I have replaced the power supply with an Enermax EG475P-V(470 watts). I now get no beeps or video often when I start the computer. When this happens the fans run and there is some hard drive activity(at least that's what the LED on the front is showing). I have to shut the computer off then turn it back on and usually the video initializes. It still opens to the BIOS screen stating that the CPU speed was set wrong and to reset it. I have tried setting the speed for the CPU manually and the timings for the memory manually which did not correct the problem. I contacted ASUS support and got a message back that suggested it could be a ground problem and that I should isolate the board using paper washers on the metal standoffs. I have not tried this yet but I have had this system together for 4 months before this problem started. I will use plastic standoffs but I don't think this will correct the problem. It seems there are quite a few messages in this newsgroup with some form of this problem. By the way I'm still running the new video board(BFG GeForce 6600 GT). Has anybody solved any problems similar to this? Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Got an A7V600-X that the video does not initialize on. Sometimes I would get
a beep code 1 long 3 short. Sometimes no beep code(mostly now). Sometimes
after 2 or 3 times the video would initialize but it would come up with the
BIOS screen stating that the speed of the CPU was set wrong and to reset it
to the correct speed, also that windows would start in safe mode. It happens
after the computer has been off for quite a while(over night or longer).
First I thought it was a video card problem, so I put in a new card(BFG
GeForce 6600 GT) a couple days ago. Everything seemed fine until today. I
push the on button and no video and no beeps. I turned the computer off and
back on again and everything was fine. I've run MemTest86 on the
memory(Kingston 512 DDR PC3200) for 7 passes with no errors.
Win98se
AMD 3000+ (400 FSB)
350 Enermax Power Supply(3 to 4 years old)
Old video card Leadtek GeForce 2 Pro
20 GB hard drive
DVD-ROM
DVD -R/RW +R/RW
Astra USB Scanner
Lexar USB Multi-Card Reader
Onboard LAN
Santa Cruz sound card
I'd appreciate any advice I can receive on this problem. Greg T
P.S. I've had the motherboard, CPU and memory about 5 months with no
problems.

T

T.O.

Had the same problem with a P5LD2 board and an X700 video card. Both brand new items.

Had to hit the reset button after turning it on to get it to see the card. After about 4-5 hours, it wouldn't work at all.
Turned out to be a bad video card. Replaced the card with same type and it's been doing OK now for a couple of days.

So...weak components on the card that are dying maybe????
Can you swap the card with another one?

Good luck.

T.O. Galloway

I posted the message below about 3 weeks ago(with no responses). Since then I have replaced the power supply with an Enermax EG475P-V(470 watts). I now get no beeps or video often when I start the computer. When this happens the fans run and there is some hard drive activity(at least that's what the LED on the front is showing). I have to shut the computer off then turn it back on and usually the video initializes. It still opens to the BIOS screen stating that the CPU speed was set wrong and to reset it. I have tried setting the speed for the CPU manually and the timings for the memory manually which did not correct the problem. I contacted ASUS support and got a message back that suggested it could be a ground problem and that I should isolate the board using paper washers on the metal standoffs. I have not tried this yet but I have had this system together for 4 months before this problem started. I will use plastic standoffs but I don't think this will correct the problem. It seems there are quite a few messages in this newsgroup with some form of this problem. By the way I'm still running the new video board(BFG GeForce 6600 GT). Has anybody solved any problems similar to this? Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Win98se
AMD 3000+ (400 FSB)
20 GB hard drive
DVD-ROM
DVD -R/RW +R/RW
Astra USB Scanner
Onboard LAN
Santa Cruz sound card
problems.

G

Greg T

I had this problem with an older card(Leadtek GeForce 2 Pro) and a new card(BFG GeForce 6600 GT OC). The problem seems to have cleared up for now. My next step is to isolate the motherboard with plastic standoffs. I don't know if the power switch could be faulty...all the fans run when I turn on the computer. I will try using the reset button to start the computer to see where that gets me. Greg T

Had the same problem with a P5LD2 board and an X700 video card. Both brand new items.

Had to hit the reset button after turning it on to get it to see the card. After about 4-5 hours, it wouldn't work at all.
Turned out to be a bad video card. Replaced the card with same type and it's been doing OK now for a couple of days.

So...weak components on the card that are dying maybe????
Can you swap the card with another one?

Good luck.

T.O. Galloway

Win98se
AMD 3000+ (400 FSB)
20 GB hard drive
DVD-ROM
DVD -R/RW +R/RW
Astra USB Scanner
Onboard LAN
Santa Cruz sound card
problems.

Ask a Question