No E-Mail Address Or Contacts

Joe Beaven

Hi,

I recently reinstalled Windows XP and Office 2003 to try to speed up my computer. I backed up all my files with Norton Ghost and restored the Outlook files in the "Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook" and "Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook" folders which restored all my e-mails and folders, however my e-mail addresses and contacts are missing and I have no Send/Receive button or menu option.

Please could someone tell me how to get my e-mail addresses and contacts back?

Thanks,
Joe

Tim

Other than the missing stuff, are you able to send/receive e-mail normally?

I'm not sure I understand the differentiation between "e-mail addresses" and
"contacts". To me they are synonymous. Could you explain further? Contacts
are kept inside the pst file along with your calendar information and all of
your e-mail messages (inbox, sent items, etc.). So if you see all of your
old messages, your contacts have to be there as well.

You could try this: right-click on the Contact folder (from "Folder List"
view) and choose Properties. Select the Outlook Address Book tab and make
sure there is a check mark in "Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book".

Lastly, did you have a "pab" file? That is a Personal Address Book file and
is a leftover from years ago...but some people still use it. It is not part
of the pst file and needs to be added to Outlook manually. Could that be
what you meant by "e-mail addresses"?

Tim

Gordon

Joe Beaven said:
Hi,

I recently reinstalled Windows XP and Office 2003 to try to speed up my
computer. I backed up all my files with Norton Ghost and restored the
Outlook files in the "Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook" and "Local
Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook" folders which restored all my
e-mails and folders, however my e-mail addresses and contacts are missing
and I have no Send/Receive button or menu option.

Please could someone tell me how to get my e-mail addresses and contacts
back?

Presumably by "Email addresses" you mean your email accounts. These are not
held in the pst file. What you should have done is to go to Start-All
Programs-Microsoft Office-Microsoft Office Tools-Save My Settings Wizard
which will allow you to export all your account data into a file which you
can import after re-installation.
You will, I'm afraid, have to re-enter all your email account data manually.
That is why you have no Send/Receive button, because you have no accounts
set up.

HTH

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

One big wrinkle here. OP used Norton Ghost instead of doing a valid,
reliable backup of their Outlook data and settings. Norton Ghost will not
restore mail account configuration in Outlook. It will not reconnect Outlook
to its correct information store. It will not restore the configuration of
Outlook's addressing service. These are the things anyone reinstalling
Outlook must do on their own. Methods for doing so are easy and have been
well documented here countless times and in the KB. Suggest following those
links.

Tim

I agree Russ...but it seemed like the OP had Outlook functional with the
exception of the Contacts problem (operative word being *seemed*). But I
asked specifically if Outlook was sending/receiving normally for just that
reason and also because it wasn't entirely clear what was working versus
what wasn't. Hopefully, the OP will clarify as the final answer will vary
depending on that clarification.

Tim

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
Tim said:
[...]

Thanks for the advice. I've now got my Contacts back, but it looks like I'll have to set up all my e-mail addresses again and rules for which folders the messages go to. Unfortunately I've got a very large amount of e-mail addresses, so it'll take a while.

Thanks again,
Joe

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

The missing Send/Receive button was the key clue here.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Tim said:
[...]

Ahhh...OK...good one. I didn't catch that. Thanks for the explanation.

Tim

"Tim" <tim_at_overthere.com> wrote in message
[...]

Remove ABCD from Email address to reply

How do you do this in 2007, I do not have the wizard.

Gordon

Remove ABCD from Email address to reply said:
How do you do this in 2007, I do not have the wizard.

In Outlook, Tools-Account Settings or Control Panel-Mail