nntp//rss

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=BBQ=AB?=

<http://www.methodize.org/nntprss/>

nntp//rss is a Java-based bridge between RSS feeds and NNTP
clients, enabling you to read your favorite RSS syndicated
content within your existing NNTP newsreader. RSS feeds are
represented as NNTP newsgroups, providing a simple,
straightforward and familiar environment for news reading.

nntp//rss contains both an NNTP server and an RSS aggregator,
with a web interface for administration and monitoring.
Installation is as simple as unpacking the distribution and
running the application. It has been tested against popular NNTP
newsreaders, including Mozilla, Outlook Express, MT-NewsWatcher,
Free Agent, and text-based readers such as Gnus, tin and nn.

<http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=68044> if you
want to go straight to the 2 MB download.

This is pretty neat. I've only been playing with it for the last 30
minutes or so, but I'll give my impressions so far.

The news articles come through as MIME messages, with text part
having Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed. To
add a couple of data points to what they claim about tested
newsreaders, the messages look ok with Xnews, as long as wrapping is
turned on to deal with the format=flowed. And with 40tude Dialog,
they look fine as well. To see what the messages will look like in
your newsreader, you can point it at their demo server,
<
The version is only up to 0.3, but this is running on my machine
(WinXP home, JRE 1.4.1_02) with no troubles. Installation is as
simple as they say above, and the readme file is very clear. The
web-based admin interface is very well done, with clean design and
with the help page built in. Polling intervals can be set for each
channel.

It also allows posting (off by default), which seems like a simple
way to update one's blog (Blogger, LiveJournal and MetaWeblog
supported). Not having a blog, I cannot test that. Under Windows,
it can be run as a service, but I have not tried that either.

Darrien

[snip]

I have an overall good opinion of nntp//rss.

Like you said, the format=flowed can be a pain if you don't default Xnews
to wrap lines. Hopefuly they will add an option to change that in a future
version.

It seems to be a bit slow, though that's to be expected as it's written in
Java. Overall, I'd recommend it to others. Heck, as picky as I am about the
software that I use, the fact that I use it should be enough of an
endorsement for anyone.

Darrien

Looking at the demo, I'm just getting the story headers. Is this what's
supposed to happen, or have I incompetently forgotten to turn something
on?

What group are you in?
The ones that I checked all came out fine.

Darrien

The Register. And others. I'm using XNews.

Are com.mobitopia, nntprss.news and com.danielsjourney OK?

If those are OK, they probably aren't sending any more than a header.
Some places only seem to send headers.

½

-½cut

The Register.