Nexus Disctwin HDD Cooler

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Bought one of these to see if they do cool and silence. Cost around £6 as I was putting in an order so thats not taking into account any postage.

attachment.php

They are upside down in the packet as I had taken them out to have a look at before I made my mind up to write a review.:rolleyes:

attachment.php

Contents of the plastic bubble. Front and rear view. Notice the thermal pad.

attachment.php

A closer view of the rubber pad.The round hole on the top left has a threaded nut imbeded in timbeddeder. This is where the Disctwin is imbedded to the 5 1/2"drive cage. The centre hole is where the rubber is riveted to the back plate. The bottom right hole has a larger diameter in the top half of the hole than in the bottom half. There is a steel washer in the hole, effectivly forming a cushion of rubber to support the screw, this is where the Disctwin attaches to the hard disc drive.

attachment.php

A closer look at the right hand hole shows the washer with the rubber sandwiched between the back plate.

attachment.php

A side view. Of interest here is that you can clearly see that the rubber pad is standing proud of the finned backplate. This means that when you screw the Disctwin to your 5 1/2" cage no part of the metal backplate will be touching the metal cage. The screw will end in a nut held firmly in the rubber pad. The disc itself will have a cushion of thermal tape and be held in place by a rubber suspended screw. No metal to metal contact should mean no vibration noise.

attachment.php

You get a full set of screws, four long and four short. They have different threads ! The long ones are for the hard drive. The short ones are for the 5 1/2" cage attachment. The picture shows a long screw in position.

attachment.php

A closer look.

attachment.php

Both sides attached. This will give plenty of air space around the drive at the very least. With the alumininium fins drawing heat awy from the drive the science says this should help to cool and quieten things down.

Not a very good pic I'm afraid still you get the idea of what it looks like.

I like the look of the Disctwin and it seems to me to be very well made. Certainly a lot of thought and care has been put in to its design and construction.

Thats all folks. No temp figures as I have not used this drive before and it is going in me experimental case build. I'll' update with some running temp figures and also let you know if it helps with silencing.

happywave.gif

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 488
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 509
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 449
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 477
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 481
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 479
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 429
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 470
Last edited:

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Very nice mate, but £6!!!!

Oh and does that make it a 5.25" bay HDD???

Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
Very nice mate, but £6!!!!

Oh and does that make it a 5.25" bay HDD???

Duh ! it states that quite clearly in the review.
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
extra extra extra !!!

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Hmm we will see. I just installed a hdd in an aluminium eexternal enclosure its fitted nice and solidly in the case. Yet when I place it on my wooden desk it emits a low deepish hum, not very loud but it is there in the background. Pick it up and the hum disapears. So to my way of thinking a metal to metal install of a hdd will have the potential to cause noise. That noise could be from anywhere in the case as the vibrations from the hdd will travel to some extent all over the case. Isolate or very nearly isolate a hdd by way of rubber mounts and you stand a good chance of stopping one source of noise.
The science is sound.
Tommorows Reith Lecture will be on the subject of .................

:p

Ask a Question