Newsgroups - where are they?

ripper

Someone please - the MS newsgroups msnews.microsoft.com and
news.microsoft.com only have few or no remaining groups left. I used the MS
Access groups and Windows XP and Vista groups for so long - they were the
life blood of my business. What newsgroups or forums is the world using now?
Someone please help - I'm nowhere without them!

Thx!

ripper

Bruce Hagen

ripper said:
Someone please - the MS newsgroups msnews.microsoft.com and
news.microsoft.com only have few or no remaining groups left. I used the
MS Access groups and Windows XP and Vista groups for so long - they were
the life blood of my business. What newsgroups or forums is the world
using now? Someone please help - I'm nowhere without them!

Thx!

ripper

Guess you've been away for awhile.

Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Communities
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx

Newsgroups removed as of June 1, 2010
http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2010/06/05/closin-the-nntp.aspx

You can still access the groups on some non-MS servers such as Eternal
September, but how long the quality of questions and replies lasts is
unknown.

Eternal September
http://www.newsgroupreviews.com/eternal-september.html

The replacement forums.

Microsoft Answers - First Time Users
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx

Thee Chicago Wolf (MVP)

Someone please - the MS newsgroups msnews.microsoft.com and
news.microsoft.com only have few or no remaining groups left. I used the MS
Access groups and Windows XP and Vista groups for so long - they were the
life blood of my business. What newsgroups or forums is the world using now?
Someone please help - I'm nowhere without them!

Thx!

ripper

Paid NNTP providers still carry the Microsoft.* groups. They are just
not being fed through Microsoft themselves any longer.

milt

Someone please - the MS newsgroups msnews.microsoft.com and
news.microsoft.com only have few or no remaining groups left. I used the MS
Access groups and Windows XP and Vista groups for so long - they were the
life blood of my business. What newsgroups or forums is the world using now?
Someone please help - I'm nowhere without them!

Thx!

ripper

They are gone and in a couple weeks this news server will be gone...

Geez, don't people ever read? Why do people keep asking this question on
a daily basis?

BillyBob

milt said:
They are gone and in a couple weeks this news server will be gone...

Geez, don't people ever read? Why do people keep asking this question on a
daily basis?
Because most people are lazy MFers and would rather have someone spoon feed
them the information than to actually lift a finger to try and find it
themselves.

ripper

Thanks, Bruce. Help is much appreciated.

Bruce Hagen said:
Guess you've been away for awhile.

Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Communities
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx

Newsgroups removed as of June 1, 2010
http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2010/06/05/closin-the-nntp.aspx

You can still access the groups on some non-MS servers such as Eternal
September, but how long the quality of questions and replies lasts is
unknown.

Eternal September
http://www.newsgroupreviews.com/eternal-september.html

The replacement forums.

Microsoft Answers - First Time Users
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx

milt

Because most people are lazy MFers and would rather have someone spoon
feed them the information than to actually lift a finger to try and find
it themselves.

Well, then they will love the new MS forums, its filled with people like
that.

ripper

This MFer posted cuz he can't find no answers. Why are you still reading the
group if it's dead in a couple weeks?

Thanks for the help, dckheds.

BillyBob

ripper said:
This MFer posted cuz he can't find no answers. Why are you still reading
the group if it's dead in a couple weeks?

Thanks for the help, dckheds.

Actually, I called most people (you can include yourself in that) LAZY MFers
and you "can't find no answers" [sic] (nice english) because you didn't look
for any. Well, open wide and I will spoon feed it to you...

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=where+have+Microsoft+newsgroups+gone

Oh, we are still reading this group because we enjoy responding to lazy MFer
posts. Also, it wasn't very nice referring to Bruce Hagen and Thee Chicago
Wolf as dckheds. They actually did provide (spoon feed) you legit
information.

Lastly, you're welcome.

BB

Greg Russell

In
ripper said:
Someone please - the MS newsgroups msnews.microsoft.com and
news.microsoft.com only have few or no remaining groups left. I used
the MS Access groups and Windows XP and Vista groups for so long -
they were the life blood of my business. What newsgroups or forums is
the world using now? Someone please help - I'm nowhere without them!

Your tale of woe sounds grossly overstated, as most people have migrated to
*real* news servers such as http://individual.net long ago in order to
continue using using Usenet. That information has been posted here several
times per week for many months at least, so your "life blood" is
under-utilized.

Micro$oft is an information Nazi, and only wants you to see what *they* want
you to see.

Alias

Micro$oft is an information Nazi, and only wants you to see what *they* want
you to see.

Yet you use their products and one of the worst: Outhouse Distress.

Greg Russell

In
ripper said:
Why are you still reading the group if it's dead in a couple weeks?

The M$ NNTP server is the only thing that's dead or dying, as the M$
Nazis have lost control over their minions that can think for themselves.

The Usenet NNTP servers such as http::/individual.net are where the
newsgroups reside, as always. There are many others as well.

Greg Russell

In
PA Bear said:
When will this Happen?
Effective September 12, 2010 this newsgroup [i.e., WinXP General]
will be closed.

Only the M$ news server(s) will close on that date, ya ****ing moron. The
Usenet newsgroups will continue on *real* NNTP Usenet servers such as
http://individual.net and everybody can continue to use their preferred
client (such as OE, Pan, Agent, etc) or the web-based interface.

The Mini-Virtual-Pricks "MVP" such as yourself are the ones disseminating
the bogus information, a.k.a. lies.

Greg Russell

In
Alias said:
Yet you use their products and one of the worst: Outhouse Distress.

I have 74 employees to support that use M$, so I have to understand the
nature of their troubles. The 317 professional employees that use Linux and
do the real work can solve their own problems. Very kind and observant of
you to favourably qualify the nature of my disparaging comments re: all
things M$. BTW, over 70 of those Linux-based employees migrated from M$ this
year, and kick themselves for not doing it sooner. The others will soon
follow based on their cohorts' recommendations, but it's all voluntary ...
choice is good.

That said, even the Outhouse Distress NNTP client can easily access any real
Usenet news server

Alias

In

I have 74 employees to support that use M$, so I have to understand the
nature of their troubles.

And you don't know the standard problems of OE by now? It's only been a
part of Windows for over a decade ..
The 317 professional employees that use Linux and
do the real work can solve their own problems. Very kind and observant of
you to favourably qualify the nature of my disparaging comments re: all
things M$. BTW, over 70 of those Linux-based employees migrated from M$ this
year, and kick themselves for not doing it sooner. The others will soon
follow based on their cohorts' recommendations, but it's all voluntary ...
choice is good.

I'm glad to see you work with intelligent people.
That said, even the Outhouse Distress NNTP client can easily access any real
Usenet news server

Yeah, but no junk filter, compacting can provoke message loss and no
real time spell check. In short, a POS.

Bob I

Greg said:
In

I have 74 employees to support that use M$, so I have to understand the
nature of their troubles. The 317 professional employees that use Linuxand
do the real work can solve their own problems. Very kind and observant of
you to favourably qualify the nature of my disparaging comments re: all
things M$. BTW, over 70 of those Linux-based employees migrated from M$this
year, and kick themselves for not doing it sooner. The others will soon
follow based on their cohorts' recommendations, but it's all voluntary ...
choice is good.

Humm, look like 75 people elsewhere gave up on it

http://www.netmarketshare.com/os-market-share.aspx?qprid=9

Greg Russell

In
Alias said:
And you don't know the standard problems of OE by now?

The fact that I post to the Windoze newsgroups using it should be credential
enough that your question is ill-founded.

Alias

Humm, look like 75 people elsewhere gave up on it

http://www.netmarketshare.com/os-market-share.aspx?qprid=9

False. From another newsgroup:
Linux market share is not tiny. Linux and UNIX have held a majority

And then there is the fact that M$ themselves put Linux desktop users at
around 10-11% in their quarterly SEC reports.
Ballmer also publicly declared that the "top two threats to M$ in the
client OS space is Linux *then* Apple.
http://www.cio.com/article/483082/M..._Now_Apple_Linux_or_Itself_?source=artrel_bot

So according to the idiot wintroll, Apple would be less than 1%!

Furthermore M$ have hired an Open Source czar to fight Linux on the
*desktop*.
http://www.itrunsonlinux.com/news/150-microsoft-wants-to-hire-an-anti-linux-guru

http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/02/07/1553206

Now you have to ask, *if* Linux users were only 1% or 2%, would M$ *really*
go the expense of hiring an anti-linux-guru (& probably a team too) to
fight Linux on the desktop take up?

If you do, I have a bridge for sale....