Newsgroups to Toolbar in Outlook 2007

news-server.socal.rr.eocm

I'm trying to add the News icon to my Outlook toolbar. I have followed the
directions below from the help menu but find that there is no "news" command
in the commands list. Using Vista Business, Outlook/Office 2007.

Thanks,

On the Standard toolbar (toolbar: A bar with buttons and options that you
use to carry out commands. To display a toolbar, press ALT and then
SHIFT+F10.), click the Toolbar Options arrow .
Point to Add or Remove Buttons, and then click Customize.
Click the Commands tab.
In the Categories list, click Go.
In the Commands list, click News, and without releasing the mouse button, do
one of the following:
Drag the News command onto the Outlook menu bar, and then release the mouse
button.
Drag the News command to an Outlook toolbar, and then release the mouse
button.
Drag the News command to the Go menu. When the menu displays a list of
commands, point to where you want the command to appear, and then release
the mouse button.

Brian M

There is no default newsreader option in IE Vista as per the directions
below:

"If you previously added the Go News Command to the menu bar and it
disappeared or you can't find it in Tools, Customize, Commands (under Go
category) follow these steps to fix it:

Go to the Programs tab in Control Panel, Internet Options (or if Internet
Explorer is open, it's Tools, Internet Options menu)
Change the default newsreader to Outlook Express. If OE prompts you to make
it your default newsreader the next time you launch it, click the "Don't ask
me again" box and then click the No button."

"Jocelyn Fiorello [MVP - Outlook]"

Which part doesn't work? Does Windows Mail read newsgroups? I don't run
Vista so I can't test this.

--
Jocelyn Fiorello
MVP - Outlook

Brian M said:
There is no default newsreader option in IE Vista as per the directions
below:

"If you previously added the Go News Command to the menu bar and it
disappeared or you can't find it in Tools, Customize, Commands (under Go
category) follow these steps to fix it:

Go to the Programs tab in Control Panel, Internet Options (or if Internet
Explorer is open, it's Tools, Internet Options menu)
Change the default newsreader to Outlook Express. If OE prompts you to make
it your default newsreader the next time you launch it, click the "Don't ask
me again" box and then click the No button."

"Jocelyn Fiorello [MVP - Outlook]"
This trick worked in Outlook 2003 -- I think it works for 2007 as well:
http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/nntp.asp#go

--
Jocelyn Fiorello
MVP - Outlook

reply

Brian M

Not sure if this is a Vista or IE 7 function but when I go to the Programs
tab of Internet Options, I get 4 options, 1 of which is "Set Program Access
and Computer Defaults". From there I can change the Web Browser, EMail
program (Outlook), Media Player, Instant Mesg. Program, or Virtual Machine
for Java.

There is no option for newsreader.

Thanks,
Brian

Brian M said:
[...]

OK, then is there a setting in Windows Mail for you to make it your default
newsreader? If so, do that, and then see if the News command appears in the
customization options for the Go menu.

--
Jocelyn Fiorello
MVP - Outlook

:

[...]

*** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered --
please
reply

OK...for that you might have to ask in a Windows Mail newsgroup. I don't use
Vista or Windows Mail and I have no idea why the option might be disabled.
If you get the answer to that mystery, post back here.

--
Jocelyn Fiorello
MVP - Outlook

Brian M said:
Not sure if this is a Vista or IE 7 function but when I go to the
Programs
tab of Internet Options, I get 4 options, 1 of which is "Set Program
Access
and Computer Defaults". From there I can change the Web Browser, EMail
program (Outlook), Media Player, Instant Mesg. Program, or Virtual
Machine
for Java.

There is no option for newsreader.

Thanks,
Brian

"Jocelyn Fiorello [MVP - Outlook]"
Which part doesn't work? Does Windows Mail read newsgroups? I don't
run
Vista so I can't test this.

--
Jocelyn Fiorello
MVP - Outlook

reply

Brian M

OK, I got it to be the default news reader. Start -> Default Programs ->
Set your Default Programs -> Windows Mail (News). Now, I still can't get
the News icon in the Go menu to add to my toolbar.
Thanks,

Brian M said:
Ahh. Getting close. There is a setting but it's grayed out. Not I am
the
only user and administrator on this machine.

"Jocelyn Fiorello [MVP - Outlook]"
OK, then is there a setting in Windows Mail for you to make it your
default
newsreader? If so, do that, and then see if the News command appears
in
the
customization options for the Go menu.

--
Jocelyn Fiorello
MVP - Outlook

reply

You're still looking in the "Go" category on the Commands tab, right?

I am really not sure what else can be done from here, since as I said, I
don't use Vista and can't play with this myself. I do know that you should
be able to open Windows Mail in a "news only" mode, which is basically what
Outlook does if you use the News command. Try running this from Start | All
Programs | Accessories | Run:

"C:\Program Files\Windows Mail\WinMail.exe /newsonly"

Post back and let me know if it works. You can create a desktop (or
wherever) shortcut with this command line.

--
Jocelyn Fiorello
MVP - Outlook