Newsgroups available on Yahoo account?

Jim Macklin

She can use Outlook Express to setup a newsgroup account.
She should open OE/Tools/Accounts/news and follow the
directions.
The server is msnews.microsoft.com
She should not use her real email address in the show field,
but she will need to use her account to send mail, I would
suggest se create a free Hotmail account to use with the
newsgroup and then create the news account.

| My friend uses Yahoo for e-mail (XP Home). Is it possible
for her to get
| newsgroups such as this one or must she set up a second
account with Outlook
| Express? Right at this timeshe needs help with XP. :-(
|
| Thanks

Michael Stevens

labatyd said:
My friend uses Yahoo for e-mail (XP Home). Is it possible for her to
get newsgroups such as this one or must she set up a second account
with Outlook Express? Right at this timeshe needs help with XP. :-(

Thanks

She can use Yahoo as the email address[munged of course], but she will need
a newsreader application or access the newsgroups from the web format [not
recommended].
Point her to the link below for tips on setting up Outlook Express
Newsreader and other options.

Michael Stevens

labatyd said:
My friend uses Yahoo for e-mail (XP Home). Is it possible for her to
get newsgroups such as this one or must she set up a second account
with Outlook Express? Right at this timeshe needs help with XP. :-(

Thanks

BTW, I forgot to tell you to check your time zone setting. You are currently
broadcasting a time zone located in the Pacific Time zone. This is the
default time zone when you install Windows.
--

Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
(e-mail address removed)

labatyd

My friend uses Yahoo for e-mail (XP Home). Is it possible for her to get
newsgroups such as this one or must she set up a second account with Outlook
Express? Right at this timeshe needs help with XP. :-(

Thanks

Mike

Her ISP will have accredited her with an e-mail account that she could use
in OE.. it is not difficult to set up if she gets server addresses off of
her ISP.. unless, of course, she is using AOL to connect..

Alex Nichol

labatyd said:
My friend uses Yahoo for e-mail (XP Home). Is it possible for her to get
newsgroups such as this one or must she set up a second account with Outlook
Express?

I would really recommend a news account in OE. And to make sure that on
the first occasion, it is set in Tools - Options - Read to read only a
limited number of headers, then uncheck that for coming back on another
occasion.

There is a web interface available but people - both ends - have
difficulty with it as it stands, and it can be very awkward for a
poster to find the replies. See
http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx
If she does use it please ask her to use a consistent 'handle' that will
be recognisable, and always reply by clicking 'Post reply', not as a new
post or by e-mail

Ken Blake, MVP

In
labatyd said:
My friend uses Yahoo for e-mail (XP Home). Is it possible for her to
get newsgroups such as this one or must she set up a second account
with Outlook Express? Right at this timeshe needs help with XP.
:-(

She has a few choices: she can participate in newsgroups on the
web (I *strongly* advise against this) or she can use a
newsreader (recommended). If she uses a newsreader, Outlook
Express is only one of the choices available to her. Although I
personally prefer Outlook Express, there are other newsreaders
available, and several of them are freeware.