Newsgroup for Windows Programmers?

I am a former senior operating systems designer and programmer but have no
Windows programming experience. I would like to use Visual c++ 6.0 Dev
Studio without to start learning Windows programming without MFC. I do not
have experience with Dev Studio of Visual C++ either though I am a C/C++
programmer.

I would like the programs I write to work on Windows 95, 98, & XP (2000
wouldn't hurt either).

I am looking for:
1. The best book(s) to get me quickly up to speed
2. A good newsgroup/forum
3. Especially helpful web sites.

Thanks

WOW - thank you very much. I have just read your reply and haven't
followed up on any of it yet, but it sure sounds like it will be VERY
useful.