-----Original Message-----
From: Ginny [mailto:[email protected]]
Posted At: 04. august 2004 02:13
Posted To: microsoft.public.frontpage.client
Conversation: newbie problem with layout tables
Subject: newbie problem with layout tables

Hi--i'm just learning FP 2003--bravely working my way through 3 books
and still running into walls every step of the way. Right now I'm
learning layout tables which appears to be easy enough until I try to
insert a border or a picture into a cell. I right click in the cell and
choose cell properties which opens the dialog box but a whole bunch of
stuff in the box is faded out and can't be used--nothing under the
Borders section is available (light border, dark border, etc) and "use
background picture" in the BAckground section is also not available.
(However, I am able to change the color in the background section). I've
gone through this procedure about 80 million times in as many different
layout tables and it always looks the same. What am I doing wrong?

Ginny

Stefan B Rusynko

Make sure in Toole Page Option Authoring you have
- browser schema set to IE5
- CSS 1 & 2 enabled

--

| Hi--i'm just learning FP 2003--bravely working my way through 3 books and still running into walls every step of the way. Right
now I'm learning layout tables which appears to be easy enough until I try to insert a border or a picture into a cell. I right
click in the cell and choose cell properties which opens the dialog box but a whole bunch of stuff in the box is faded out and can't
be used--nothing under the Borders section is available (light border, dark border, etc) and "use background picture" in the
BAckground section is also not available. (However, I am able to change the color in the background section). I've gone through this
procedure about 80 million times in as many different layout tables and it always looks the same. What am I doing wrong?

| Ginny

Thanks so much for these replies.

I think that the options on the Tool Page/Option/Authoring tab are correct. Here is what I have:

Frontpage and Sharepoint Technologies: Custom
Everything under this is activated except "shared borders" and "Prog ID tags"

Browers: Both IE and Navigator
Browser version: custom
Everything under here is activated except Activex controls and JavaScript (neither are available for activation). Both CSS 1.0 and 2.0 are activated.

Schema version is Internet Explorer 5.0

I am definitely choosing Cell Properties (not Formatting) when I right click (and am also trying it from the tables menu/table properties/cell).

Still can't get these things activated. Is there anything else I need to look at?

Ginny

Jens Peter Karlsen [FP MVP]

You need to set that as I wrote, ie. custom or you can choose IE only.

Regards Jens Peter Karlsen. Microsoft MVP - Frontpage.

Thomas A. Rowe

Ginny, certain versions of NS browsers do not support table or cell background image, this is not a
FP issue. So when you have NS selected, then FP limit your ability to do this, but setting the
setting to IE only or Custom you will be able to insert the image as a table or cell background, but
now you know that it will not work in all versions of NS browsers. For the widest support on insert
images as cell backgrounds, not as table backgrounds.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Ginny said:
Okay, thanks very much. This did fix the problem. However, I'm a little confused about the
consequences of this. I had hoped to design pages with features that could be viewed by people using
IE or Navigator. So I assume that somehow when I insert a photo into a layout table, this can't be
viewed by someone using Navigator??? This doesn't seem right. I have to believe that I can insert a
picture into a layout table and have it viewed by people using other browsers. What exactly does it
mean when I choose Custom for my browsers?