Newbie - Please help

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm new to this site. I'm going to attempt a pc build as it seems like more fun than just buying one off the shelf.

I've already got a p4 and therefore will want to use some of the hardware I've already got as my budget is tight.

I've got a few problems, first the pc is noisy due to the power supply (just a bog standard one) and the 4 fans running in the machine. I want to make the machine less noisy and am prepared to buy a new case and or power supply/fans to quieten it down. Can you guys recommend a case/psu/fans etc.

Also I have a p4, 2.53Ghz Intel processor, 533Mhz which is ok but I want a better motherboard as I'm using a Asus p4s8x which I've had some problems with. My dilemma is do I buy an 800Mhz/533Mhz FSB board which will run with my current processor or go for a 3/3.2Ghz processor now. Is there much difference?

Any help/advice would be appreciated. Hopefully one day, I'll have enough knowledge to help someone else out on here!!

Reaction score
you will probly not find any big difference in the way that the computer will run i say just go with what you have. i am in the same boat i am trying to biuld a new computer too but with that high of ghz you will not notece much of a change

Reaction score
...were on the same boat when it comes to navigating through the sea if it-internet technology...and waddling throught the swamps and mucks of computer usage terrain...

...as for the computer making to much sound...you could use a heat retardent spnge of sorts to wrap the inside of the casing,.....and or ...with the same stuff wrap the driver casing....

Ask a Question