Newbie: DNS problem

soup_or_power

Hi
I am able to view www.membersedgellc.com from itnernet. However, it is
not viewable from our office net (intranet). Traceroute shows only the
gateway 192.168.11 and the external IP 209.178.198.245. Can you please
help me troubleshoot this problem.

Thanks

soup_or_power

Also the internal DNS server (192.168.5.10) resolves the
admin.scholasticfundinggroup.com correctly but fails to resolve
epcs.scholasticfundinggroup.com. Both these sites are registered with
external DNS servers (e.g. check with dnsstuff.com). In fact, the
internal DNS server resolves epcs.scholasticfundinggroup.com to
192.168.5.58 which is obsolete because I changed the IP to
192.168.11.58. I don't know why DNS server can't update itself. Or do I
need to set them up? Here are the external DNS hosts (forwarders)
209.178.200.2, 209.178.223.4, 209.178.200.4

Paul Bergson

Do you have an internal domain defined for scholasticfundinggroup.com?

--
Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, Security+, CNE, CNA, CCA
http://www.pbbergs.com

Please no e-mails, any questions should be posted in the NewsGroup

Herb Martin

Paul Bergson said:
Do you have an internal domain defined for scholasticfundinggroup.com?

What Paul is getting at is that if you have the Parent domain defined
internally then it would need to DELEGATE to ALL of the child
domains below it.

Further...

If your internal DNS servers cannot resolve an INTERNAL
zone then likely it is necessary to use Conditional Forwarding
(or some substitute for that.)

Ace Fekay [MVP]

In (e-mail address removed) <[email protected]> stated, which I commented
Also the internal DNS server (192.168.5.10) resolves the
admin.scholasticfundinggroup.com correctly but fails to resolve
epcs.scholasticfundinggroup.com. Both these sites are registered with
external DNS servers (e.g. check with dnsstuff.com). In fact, the
internal DNS server resolves epcs.scholasticfundinggroup.com to
192.168.5.58 which is obsolete because I changed the IP to
192.168.11.58. I don't know why DNS server can't update itself. Or do
I need to set them up? Here are the external DNS hosts (forwarders)
209.178.200.2, 209.178.223.4, 209.178.200.4

If it was statically created, then no, it will not update the record. You
can manually change it to 192.168.11.58. If any other websites are internal,
then you would need to manually create all respective zones internally and
only provide the internal IP address. You can't use the extrernal IP address
internally is the site or any other resource, is hosted internally because
if you use the external IP, the router/NAT device cannot do a "u-turn" with
the request, that is an internal request goes to the external interface then
gets sent back internally. Thatr's a limitation of NAT.

--
Ace
Innovative IT Concepts, Inc

confers no rights.

Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
Microsoft Certified Trainer

Having difficulty reading or finding responses to your post?
Instead of the website you're using, I suggest to use OEx (Outlook Express
or any other newsreader), and configure a news account, pointing to
news.microsoft.com. This is a direct link to the Microsoft Public
Newsgroups. It is FREE and requires NO ISP's Usenet account. OEx allows you
to easily find, track threads, cross-post, sort by date, poster's name,
watched threads or subject.
It's easy:

How to Configure OEx for Internet News
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=171164

Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations
Assimilation Imminent. Resistance is Futile
"Very funny Scotty. Now, beam down my clothes."

The only constant in life is change...