New Zonealarm - Problems ??

cbcb52

Just got ZoneAlarm 7.1.78.0 ( Vista compatible )
After 1 hour connected I got zero warnings and zero attacks
( DSL connection without a Router )
At Shields Up site ( https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 )
Vista's Firewall showed stealth , while ZA did not .
I really like ZA , but this released version seems to have a
problem.
( Oh yes their site is kind of "confused " - It says this
version is vista compatible on some pages , while on
other pages , they say it's not ) - Fact is , the install
program , offers an option Vista or XP .

Regardless of what ZoneAlarm tells you, it is not Vista compatible. I used
ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite for many years on my XP computer. I had no
problems with the software and it did exactly as advertised. I felt naked
without it.

However, I have tried (yesterday) to download and install the ZoneAlarm
Firewall (advertised as Vista compatible) and the new ZoneAlarm Internet
Security Suite, trial version (advertised as Vista compatible). Both of
these programs downloaded flawlessly but when it came to the installation
process it was a nightmare. Once installed I had nothing but major problems.
During the installation process and after the installation process I had to
do many hard shutdowns just to unlock my computer. The programs never did
actually function.

Of course, I can't contact ZoneAlarm about this because I do not have a
subscription number, since the firewall is free and the Security Suite is the
trial version.

I do not have any incompatible software causing these problems with
ZoneAlarm products. I haven't been denied permission and I did not have to
elevate any priveleges. Nothing was blocked or altered by my antivirus, which
is NOD32. Nothing was blocked by my firewall. The applications were unblocked
prior to installing. I uninstalled my NOD32 prior to downloading ZoneAlarm. I
disabled my firewall during the downloading and installation of ZoneAlarm.

I know how to download and install software. I don't have these problems
with any other software applications. As a matter of fact my Vista OS has
performed quite well with very few problems, those problems for the most part
being of my own making. I attempted the installation process of the ZoneAlarm
products in normal mode, safe mode and as an administrator.

I finally decided that ZoneAlarm has gone the way of McAfee and
Norton/Symantec. By that I mean to say that today's ZoneAlarm products are
nothing but trouble. I would suggest that people looking for security
software should use NOD32, Avast or Kaspersky. Actually, I would recommend
NOD32 over all of them. NOD32 loads quickly, performs in the background with
no performance problems and has a small footprint.

By the way, after you uninstall any ZoneAlarm product you will have to go
into the registry and delete the remaining ten or fifteen entries left on
your system, just like McAfee and Norton/Symantec. I have no faith in a
company that cannot even remove all the aspects of their own software. If
they cannot write an uninstall program successfully how can I expect them to
write a proper security application?

I am not trashing ZoneAlarm, McAfee and Norton/Symantec. I am only relating
my experiences with the applications based upon years of personal use. To sum
it up quickly: garbage in is garbage out. If these companies do not wish to
have their products criticized based upon facts they should offer products
that work properly without bloating your OS.

Have a nice day.

C.B.

Val

I've been running the new Vista compatible ZoneAlarm firewall (free version)
for 10 days or so, with no problems at all. It works exactly as it does on
my XP boxes.

As to having to track down 10 or so registry keys after uninstalling, that
is trivial compared to the HUNDREDS that Symantec leaves behind.

As in all things a complex as our PCs, there are so many combinations of
variable, there are bound to be some that won't work right. Amazing that
they work as often and as well as they do!

Val
running Vista Home Premium with AVG Antivirus (free)

Ryka

I know, a dumb-sounding question, but....where do I find the Registry keys
to find out if any removed programs are still on my computer? Thanks.

Richard Urban

The registry keys are anywhere they were installed. YOU have to search for
them. They can be literally anywhere. That's what make getting rid of Norton
crap so damned hard.

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Val

In regedit you search for the program's name, the manufacturer's name, and
anything else that might be unique to that app.

For most part, you don't need to worry about it, unless something keeps
trying to access a part of that app, or something hangs on bootup.

Val

KristleBawl

McAfee, too. After uninstalling all of it, including disabling McAfee Site
Advisor, I still got a Site Advisor warning on the way to loading the McAfee
site to find the 'uninstaller' file.

KB

"Richard Urban" wrote in message

Kayman

Just got ZoneAlarm 7.1.78.0 ( Vista compatible )
After 1 hour connected I got zero warnings and zero attacks
( DSL connection without a Router )
At Shields Up site ( https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 )
Vista's Firewall showed stealth , while ZA did not .
I really like ZA , but this released version seems to have a
problem.
( Oh yes their site is kind of "confused " - It says this
version is vista compatible on some pages , while on
other pages , they say it's not ) - Fact is , the install
program , offers an option Vista or XP .
If you really want to utilize phoney-baloney software you should have a look
here first:
http://www.matousec.com/projects/wi...ysis/leak-tests-results.php#firewalls-ratings
but you're doing yourself a disservice downloading/installing any of these
fantasyware. And don't blinded by marketing :)

If you have a suitable router you'd be better off looking for a simple
packet filter/sniffer. The in-built application in both WinXP and Vista are
doing an excellent job. Don't get too much excited about stealth... there
are many people who consider it useless.

Ensure you have a good AV application - No trojan = no issues with outbound
traffic. Also consider that by preventing some programs from 'phoning home'
could also rule out from looking for possible security updates. An insecure
option :)

Educational reading:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/technetmag/issues/2006/05/SecurityMyths/default.aspx
and scroll down to:
Myth: Host-Based Firewalls Must Filter Outbound Traffic to be Safe.

Also: http://samspade.org/d/firewalls.html

Basically, I am all against any registry cleaners etc. but if need to find
particular registry keys for deletion you may wish to consider utilizing
RegSeeker < http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm >. I found this
application safe to use and has a back-up facility. Just type in ZoneAlarm
and all relevant keys will be displayed at your disposal. Alternatively you
could investigate if there is an ZA Uninstall tool available; I know Norton
is offering one for removing their applications.

Consider implementing a security concept including 'hardening' of OS'.

Good luck :)

Pulse

Same here, no problems at all!