New system

Reaction score
Hi

Does anyone see anything wrong with the below system, iam waiting on a quote for the below system, iam not building it myself so it will prob cost me more.
what do you think would be a good price for the below system ?
and is it a good choice ?

Radiance-X Case ATX Silver with Side Window
Cathode Kit Blue & Green
Asus A7N8X Deluxe nforce 2
AthlonXP 2700
Crucial PC2700 512mb x 2
Seagate 120Gb 7200rpm
QTEC 400 Watt PSU P4 ready Twin Fan
Radeon 9600 Pro 128Mb
CoolerMaster CP5-6J31C Upto XP3000+
AOpen 52x24x52 CD-RW
Liteon 16x48 DVD-Rom Drive
Floppy Drive
Win xp

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd guess you would be looking at around £750 if someone else is building this for you (i.e a local supplier).

Have you got the quote yet?

Reaction score
Ive had one quote returned to me today
ive got about 5 others waiting so far, as its weekend iam supprised i even got the one.

graphics card changed to sapphire and processor is (PIB) as this then comes with 3 year warranty.

Radiance-X Case ATX Silver with Side Window
Cathode Kit Blue & Green
Asus A7N8X Deluxe nforce 2
AthlonXP 2700+ 333MHz FSB with fan
Crucial PC2700 512mb x 2
Seagate 120Gb 7200rpm
QTEC 400 Watt PSU P4 ready Twin Fan
Sapphire Radeon 9600PRO 128MB
AOpen 52x24x52 CD-RW
Liteon 16x48 DVD-Rom Drive
Floppy Drive
Microsoft XP Home OEM

Total £810.00 delivery @ £19.10 Grand total £829.10
from www.gingerpcs.co.uk

Reaction score
Hi there,
Tis very similar to a couple of PC's that i am building at the moment.
Only better option is to use a XP2500+ barton retail cpu and then just simply turn the FSB up to 200 - Hey presto an XP3200 at £200 less :) Perhaps only need to add a proper cooler as you had in previous listing.
Also why put a DVD Rom and a CDRW in seperately. I put a pioneer 106 DVD+-RW in for the same money as the two seperates. Also need to go for corsair 3200 LL pair instead of crucial.

Reaction score
thats an old post and below is what i built in the end.

had problems with other specs and person i asked to build it couldnt get it to work, so i built my own thinking it was hard, but really it wasnt.

plus ya get loads more for your money

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Originally posted by Zoulz

plus ya get loads more for your money

Zoulz, you certainly do :D

That's a very good system you've put together there, congrats on the build, well done.

Twinmos is excellent RAM, I'm using it in two systems, it overclocks well.

I see you went for the Crucial 9800 Pro, I've often wondered what they're like. Any good? Build quality?

Reaction score
well seems to be running ok at the moment, not sure exactly what you need to know about it, plays COD, MOHAA very smooth and at 1600x1200 plus all settings on full.... as for numbers and timings etc iam not sure how to supply that info as iam still a bit of a newb at these things.

how do you overclock memory ? and is it safe and will it really make much diff ?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
How do you overclock memory?

Generally speaking, just up the FSB, but that overclocks everything on the PCI bus as well.

In your BIOS, you can often change different aspects of the memory settings so it doesn't affect PCI bus, but that's a little deeper and off the top of my head, right now, I can't remember the finer details.

Is it safe? That's a loaded question. Strictly speaking, no overclcoking is safe as you're exceeding manufacturer's specified limits, but in reality, it's usually safe as long as you take it to the point where nothing crashes and all is stable.

But with overclcoking comes more heat, so a good CPU cooler is essential.

Can you notice the difference? What I say here may be regarded as Heresy by some members, but in my opinion, apart from benchmarks, I've never really noticed much difference in everyday use. And that be the truth.

In the days of early Athlons & Durons, yes, it did make a difference, but with the XP and Barton series of CPU's, I haven't noticed any real difference with overclocking.

That's my experience of it, anyway.

Reaction score
true, i did increase my fsb to 200 from 166 and i didnt really notice much difference.

as for a benchmark i did one and only got 5600 which i dont know / or think thats great.

Ask a Question