New people: here are links to the *F.A.Q.*

Vic Dura

Oh come now, Therese. The alternative FAQ was quite well done. That
alone is a worthy -- and needed -- contribution.
snip

As for abrasiveness, you might review some of your recent posts versus
his when he is not being attacked. Perhaps you've been around some of
the abrasive personalities in this ng too long. If you know of a
better way to encourage civil discourse in an unmoderated ng, please
let us (especially me) know. Until then the alternative FAQ is the
best approach I've seen. As I stated previously, I would be quite
pleased were I able to claim the Anti-FAQ. Too bad you failed to
understand that it applied to you.

Nice post Bill. I can really learn something about patience from
them.

Best regards,
Vic Dura

John Fitzsimons

John Fitzsimons wrote in news:[email protected]:
AHA! I *KNEW* it would all boil down to the same old shit. What you're
saying, then, is that my opinions and words are valueless because I
haven't been on ACF as long as you have?

< snip >

Did I say anything about you being in ACF for a shorter time than me ?

Pay attention to what I said and it should assist your comprehension.

Regards, John.

½

-½cut

»Q« wrote in
You claim to be a champion of civility, yet you applaud referring to
some posters as "rude ****sticks."

Ah. The "general advice" section of the anti-FAQ:
don't take the abuse of rude ****sticks (yay!) home with you
I thought it was good advice, and applies to life in general. If you let
rudeness get to you and take it home to where you live and brood about
it, it doesn't do you any good. Chill. Leave the abuse in the post you
got it from.

Obviously, I'm quoting out of context to make myself look innocent. As
indeed were you, Q, for the opposite reason. We can chop logic for weeks
and still end up where we started.

To fly through the chaff, then, I arrived in ACF; got newbie-abused; and
wrote the anti-FAQ as a protest against two traits that recur on this NG
and that piss me off:

1) The newbie abuse. Surely people should be using their powers for
good, it seems to me...using their knowledge to help people rather than
to slap them down. Bullying is wrong, and always has been. The fact
that it happens often does not mean that it is right.

2) The fairly unfounded assumption that time spent lurking in this
newsgroup confers some sort of mystical aura of superiority; and that
conversely, people who are perceived as newbies have nothing worth
saying, no right to an opinion, and should automatically respect their
"betters".

Tiger

»Q« wrote in

[...]

I don't know what "newbie abuse" to which you refer, but if it's
because newbies are politely requested to bottom-post and snip, then I
wouldn't call it abuse. I've only seen the abuse start when the newbie
basically says, "shove your 'preferred way of posting.'"
2) The fairly unfounded assumption that time spent lurking in this
newsgroup confers some sort of mystical aura of superiority; and
that conversely, people who are perceived as newbies have nothing
worth saying, no right to an opinion, and should automatically
respect their "betters".
No one is claiming that...except for you and a couple others who cannot
seem to grasp that ACF is a community and the only slaps one receives
is when people insist on doing things *their* way as opposed to the
*group's* way. That's fine...as this is an alt group after all...but
even when an alt group has formed a helpful community, don't expect to
be treated like royalty when you flaunt the community guidelines.

--
Tiger

"Zero is where the fun starts
There is too much counting everywhere else."
- Hafiz

tlshell

As I stated previously, I would be quite
pleased were I able to claim the Anti-FAQ. Too bad you failed to
understand that it applied to you.

I wouldn't know as I haven't read it, I usually don't have time to
read things like that and only use them for research purposes. I'm not
interested in wasting my time with the obvious and if that seems
abrasive, tough.

tlshell

1) The newbie abuse. Surely people should be using their powers for
good, it seems to me...using their knowledge to help people rather than
to slap them down. Bullying is wrong, and always has been. The fact
that it happens often does not mean that it is right.

This is true. I blame AOL among others for making it difficult for the
diehards to remain patient. When there are hordes of the unschooled on
the 'net, we become outnumbered by newbies everywhere.
2) The fairly unfounded assumption that time spent lurking in this
newsgroup confers some sort of mystical aura of superiority; and that
conversely, people who are perceived as newbies have nothing worth
saying, no right to an opinion, and should automatically respect their
"betters".

This is a rather extreme statement. It's not the true attitude of
oldtimers, rather it is an outgrowth of the way the Internet has gone
from a small "club" for geeks to a large virtual city with numerous
strangers lurking, some with knowledge and hostile intent and others
merely clueless. It's become like a reminder of the real life that
some of us seek to evade. (Or at least to evade some negative or
annoying aspects of it.) If you haven't already, then you should read
up on the history and development of Internet culture for better
understanding. We have seen the Golden Age and now it sometimes feels
like we're headed for the Age of Lead and Arsenic.

Blinky the Shark

On 11 Sep 2003 03:31:33 GMT, "-½cut"
<halfcut@DIE_SPAMMERstalkingsheep.co.uk> took a very strange color
crayon and scribbled:
This is true. I blame AOL among others for making it difficult for the
diehards to remain patient. When there are hordes of the unschooled on
the 'net, we become outnumbered by newbies everywhere.

Sure didn't help. But the "AOL wannabes" (emulators) are just as bad.

That's enough, right there, to make his whole paragraph meaningless.
*Contributing* over a long period of time makes people respected by the
group. Nothing to do with lurking. This being a community, it's
natural that some are more respected than others -- that's *earned* by
*contributing*, not whining, stalking, trolling, and, in general, trying
rearrange all of the group's furniture, and then wondering why there is
resistance.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=BBQ=AB?=

Obviously, I'm quoting out of context to make myself look
innocent. As indeed were you, Q, for the opposite reason.

I don't think I was quoting out of context. Unless you are saying that
you do not actually mean to call some posters here "rude ****sticks."
I mean, if you don't think some of us are that, why warn the reader
about it?

BillR

I wouldn't know as I haven't read it, I usually don't have time to
read things like that and only use them for research purposes.

You might _enjoy_ reading the alternative FAQ. The FAQ is amusing
just as an example of (mildly satirical) parody, although it does try
to make a few valid points.

You may consider it more or (considerably) less successful in making
those points than I as well as deduct for externalities. You may also
disagree with the premises. What ever your conclusion, I think it is
unfair to comment on it without reading it -- all one page of it.
I'm not
interested in wasting my time with the obvious and if that seems
abrasive, tough.

Not unless carried to an extreme. The original reference to
"abrasiveness" was in your comment. The particular response to which
it referred did go a bit far, but only after how much abuse? And you
jumped in with little foundation: with the google/deja archives one
can lurk for many months in the course of a weekend; freeware on
stalkingsheep has been around for awhile; and as you later admit, you
never even read the FAQ in question.

I'm too lazy to go back and find a couple of your posts that raised my
ire. I wrote a brief tirade in response to one (researching it led me
to your site), but fortunately(?) thought better of sending it. Now I
wish I'd kept it for illustration. On the other hand, you did provide
a thoughtful reply to someone who asked about something in the wrong
ng. Guess we are all complicated.

I too have wanted to respond to a few posters with RTFPL (M => PL),
RTFFAQ, or just google the thread from last month (perhaps GTFT?).
Come to think of it, that's not far from the wording I used on a bad
day.

BillR

BillR

»Q« said:
(e-mail address removed) (BillR) wrote in

You yourself have very definite views that you seek to impose upon the
group.

Interesting reference. I state X; you snip X; you impute X to me
phrased pejoratively and as if I had overlooked it.

Are you opposed to raising the civility? To encouraging more people
to make worthwhile contributions? To encouraging more people to
appreciate the variety and quality of the best freeware? If not
opposed, then shall we focus on the best way to encourage those
things? (Let's leave aside for a moment exactly what is considered
On/OT. That is a different thread.)
People who disagree with you are branded by you as people who
"still don't get it."
Another interesting reference. The embedded quote is quite out of
context. In context the quote quite accurately stated my conclusion
-- and I stand by it. You did not merely fail to agree. The specific
wording was also intended to both stifle continuation of the thread
and express my feelings.
You claim to be a champion of civility, yet you applaud referring to
some posters as "rude ****sticks."
Again, quite out of context. I might prefer that the language be a
little cleaner, but it certainly fits the literary style adopted.
<insert reply letting me know that I "still don't get it" here.>

But you are getting a twinkling. Your reply is much less worthy of
that response. I'm so glad you are taking it personally.

BillR

Foust

muttered.

updated

Q. All I did was ask a question/reply to a thread and some rude bastard
jumped all over me for the style/format/content of my post. What goes on?
A. That's just the ACF control freaks throwing temper tantrums.

Q. Yeah, but why do they do it so offensively?
A. What do you expect when their I.Q.'s match their shoe sizes?

Q. What should I do about the abuse/advice I received?
A. Report them to their ISP's. They like to do that to others so why not
return the favor?

Q. Flamed?
A. Guaranteed to happen if you post to ACF

Q. Killfiled/plonked/bozo bin?
A. Means to ignore someone. If you're lucky you will be killified with
your very first post by the Control Freaks of ACF. Your stay will be much
better for it.

Q. It's only one newsgroup. How come there's so many bloody FAQs?
A. This is the direct result of a coup in the Control Freaks of ACF
circle some years ago.

Q. Why do people write FAQs then?
A. POWER!! Nothing gives them a sense of power and control like trying to
tell people what they can and can't do.

Q. Aha! Gotchya! YOU wrote a FAQ!!!
A. That's not really a question. But no I didn't write one. I stole the
questions from this here http://stalkingsheep.co.uk/antifaq.htm and
changed the answers.

Q. Are there any cardinal sins on ACF?
A. Lots, if you care what the Control Freaks Of ACF think.

Q. I really can't be arsed to read all those FAQs. Gimme a summary.
A. Once again that is not a question. My advise is DON'T READ THEM. most
people don't read them.

Q. Got any general advice?

A. Chew your food 25 times.
Never shave your pubic hair to get rid of crabs.
Be nice to people, unless they were mean to you first.
Vote no on anything to do with the Patriot Act.
Don't belive the RIAA's amnesty program.
Windows rules all.
Linux is for lamers.
Always bottom post. It pisses of the squares.
NEVER eat Pop-Rocks and drink soda at the same time.

|Relax Vic - the anti-FAQ is safe. I was only going to delete it if it was
|dead. I may even update it now....you never know.

Vic Dura

Q. Killfiled/plonked/bozo bin?
A. Means to ignore someone. If you're lucky you will be killified with
your very first post by the Control Freaks of ACF. Your stay will be much
better for it.

ROTFLMAO!!! :)

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=BBQ=AB?=

(e-mail address removed) (BillR) wrote in
Interesting reference. I state X; you snip X; you impute X to me
phrased pejoratively and as if I had overlooked it.

You have misrepresented what happened here. Anyone who likes can
look up the thread.
Another interesting reference. The embedded quote is quite out of
context.

It's a phrase you have used many times. And it's quite in context.
Again, quite out of context.

Again, not out of context.
I might prefer that the language be a little cleaner, but it
certainly fits the literary style adopted.

"Fitting the literary style" has not previously been the cause you
claim to support, civility has. Calling people rude ****sticks seems
uncivil to me, but ymv obviously.
But you are getting a twinkling. Your reply is much less worthy
of that response. I'm so glad you are taking it personally.

Is there some reason you incorrectly suppose I'm taking it
personally?

½

-½cut

»Q« wrote in
You have misrepresented what happened here. Anyone who likes can
look up the thread.

I did. Looks like TWO quotes out of context in this thread to me.

If you can't argue your opinions honestly, perhaps it's the opinions that
are at fault?....

tlshell

I too have wanted to respond to a few posters with RTFPL (M => PL),
RTFFAQ, or just google the thread from last month (perhaps GTFT?).
Come to think of it, that's not far from the wording I used on a bad
day.

(-:

Lately I haven't really been having "bad" days, but I'm often tired. I
work 45 hours a week now and since I don't have a car, it puts a
strain on my scheduled times for reading news and e-mails. I'm happy
to be working though, after being unemployed for almost two years.
(FYI, my website is out of date wrt personal data.)

John Fitzsimons

<news:[email protected]>:
You yourself have very definite views that you seek to impose upon the
group. People who disagree with you are branded by you as people who
"still don't get it."
You claim to be a champion of civility, yet you applaud referring to
some posters as "rude ****sticks."
<insert reply letting me know that I "still don't get it" here.>

As someone who has been given the "Still don't get it" treatment
I concur with the above. :)

Nicely put.

John Fitzsimons

(e-mail address removed) wrote:

This being a community, it's
natural that some are more respected than others -- that's *earned* by
*contributing*, not whining, stalking, trolling, and, in general, trying
rearrange all of the group's furniture, and then wondering why there is
resistance.

Nicely put. :)

< this line reserved for "he probably still doesn't get it" comment >

,-._|\ (A.C.F FAQ) http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/faq.html
/ Oz \ John Fitzsimons - Melbourne, Australia.
\_,--.x/ http://www.aspects.org.au/index.htm
v http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=BBQ=AB?=

I did. Looks like TWO quotes out of context in this thread to me.

I'd have expected you to say three....
If you can't argue your opinions honestly, perhaps it's the
opinions that are at fault?....

/If/ I couldn't there would be several possible reasons.

Blinky the Shark

On 11 Sep 2003 08:50:01 -0700, (e-mail address removed) (BillR) took a
very strange color crayon and scribbled:

Lately I haven't really been having "bad" days, but I'm often tired. I
work 45 hours a week now and since I don't have a car, it puts a
strain on my scheduled times for reading news and e-mails. I'm happy
to be working though, after being unemployed for almost two years.
(FYI, my website is out of date wrt personal data.)

Congratulations on getting back to work, however unfun it may be. I've
had some dry spells, too, and they're doubleplus ungood. Unless not
having a car is a statement, good luck in getting back to having your
own wheels, as well.

(Hey, I used to be with concentric.net -- I don't run into too many of
their addresses. My best pal went with them, years ago, on my
recommendation, and then their connex started getting flaky. I ended
up at Earthlink; he did, too, on my recommendation. <g> We're about the
only concentrickers, past or present, we know.)