New PCR Design / Forum Software Upgrade

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas guys :). I'm going to work on getting the site transferred over to the new vB software and then create a 2nd dark skin which members can select (using a slightly darker grey page).

Once I've got some more info, I'll post back here :D (edit: this may be a couple of weeks!).

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
My appologies if you've noticed some old articles appearing in the thread search list today (I think they should be hidden now), but I'm slow moving all the articles from the old article system to a new one. It's going to take a while, but it's the only way to port them over to the new design (the old article software no longer exists, but I'm coding a new one myself based on the forum software).

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I did notice, figured your were up to something. :)

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Has your playing about had anything to do with the fact I can't or couldn't post in some or one forum ?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
EvanDavis said:
Has your playing about had anything to do with the fact I can't or couldn't post in some or one forum ?

It shouldn't have done, but I've replied to your other thread and we'll get it figured out :).

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
My appologies if you've noticed some old articles appearing in the thread search list today (I think they should be hidden now)

Thanks for letting us know, Ian. I was wondering what was going on !

There's just one viewable now. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm going to be working on the news section of the new design soon, but I wanted to check how people would prefer news posted on PCR? At the moment there is a mix of "quick news" and then occasional larger news articles posted to the site - one in each column on the main page.

If you've got a preference for news, what would you rather have? I'm considering merging both sections and posting a few news snippets per day in a larger format - for example, instead of the 10 daily quicknews links there would be 3 larger news articles. For example, one may be a quote + image from a good review that day, another may be roundup of reviews for a newly released hardware item (i.e. new graphics card) and then another may be some tech news of general interest. All would come with quotes and more info than the quick news section, but there would be fewer posted.

Reaction score
You do a grand job Ian & i'm sure any new upgrades will make the forum even better.:thumb:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I like the sound of the new news format, but think the old way is good. though i do think if it stayed it needs more updates maybe, which if you wish i'd be happy to help you with.

Either way, Having the news on the front page that is updated regularly would be good. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
V_R said:
I like the sound of the new news format, but think the old way is good. though i do think if it stayed it needs more updates maybe, which if you wish i'd be happy to help you with.

Either way, Having the news on the front page that is updated regularly would be good. :)

Yeah it would be great if you want to post news too :D

I'll give the new format a try and see how it goes - the wireless graphics card post you made would be just the sort of thing that would work well on the new format :).

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yes thats sort of thing would be what i was thinking, Nice little quote, link to source and an image. That sound about right to you?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
V_R said:
Yes thats sort of thing would be what i was thinking, Nice little quote, link to source and an image. That sound about right to you?

Yep - sounds spot on :thumb:

I'll get that coded in and we can test it out when it goes live. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
80% of the articles are now moved over to the new system, so almost done :D

I'm going to get a test server in place (hopefully on Monday), so I'll be able to show a working preview next week which we can use to test/tweak the site before going live. Once it's live, I'll post back here and PM the details to anyone that would like to see/comment on it :).

I'll launch the site without the dark scheme at first, as no doubt there will be bugs to fix on the light colour first. After a week or so, I'll then get the dark colour scheme online as an option for those that would like it :thumb:.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Once it's live, I'll post back here and PM the details to anyone that would like to see/comment on it :)

Please add me too Ian. :) It's getting really interesting now :D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
I may make 2 skins, one light and one dark :)

I did a quick mockup of a darker skin and came up with this:

attachment.php

This one looks the best IMHO. I'm with mucks on the too much white is bad for your eyes and his asking for more and funkier smilies. Recon the site is pretty darn good in its layout and user operation as it is. :thumb:

Ask a Question