new pc shopping list

Reaction score
hi all im new here like to say hello first off and i hope you all can help a new member.
ok i am going to take the plunge and build my own gaming pc,i have my shopping list below which took ages to decide what to get,bit like clothes shopping anit it,can never make your mind up anyway i already have a monitor 19" polaroid hdtv or if my wife anit watching crap on tv my samsung 32 hdtv,got keyboard and mouse so basically a base unit,really would love a sli or crossfire setup but my tight budget of 700 has been broken by 91.00,so cant go any more so here is my shopping list

antec 300 case £46.99

G.Skill 4GB DDR2 PK PC2-8500C5 (2x2GB) CAS5 Dual Channel Kit (F2-8500CL5D-4GBP)
(£82.24)

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 LGA775 'Wolfdale' 3.16GHz (1333FSB) - Retail
(£135.11)

Asus P5Q Pro Intel P45 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
(£93.99)

HIS ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB GDDR5 TV-Out/Dual DVI/HDMI (PCI-Express)
Retail £187.99

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM (ST3500320AS)
(£42.29)

Samsung SH-S223F/BEBE 22x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer ReWriter (Black) - OEM
(£15.26)

Zalman ZM600-HP Heatpipe Cooled 600W Modular PSU
(£82.24)

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler (Socket LGA775)
(£14.68)

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-Bit - OEM (66I-01939)
(74.01)

so what you all think me being a xbox360 and ps3 gamer and coming back to pc as well spoilt i know lol!!! will this run games at near full settings looking at games like crisyis cod4 and cod 5 when released mainly all first person games really let me know and i am open to ideas ect anything i missed is it worth overclocking this pc if so do i need that compund stuff in a syringe let me know cheers for your time

Reaction score
Is this a DIY job or getting built by someone?
As often it can be more expensive to do a DIY job.
Have a look HERE

Reaction score
yes its a self build and thats where im getting the parts from as well not sure on those pc's really what you recommend if its got the specs to run the games i want to play and cheaper then thats a bonus im open to ideas!!

Reaction score
If you can wait till this evening then those who are gamers will be able to help you more.
The most i play is Theme Hospital!!!

Reaction score
Hi,

It all looks very good to me, although I would not chose the ATI card I have had lots of there cards fail over the years, now I am a great fan of Nvidia I would say that either an 8800GT or and 9600GTX would do you fine.

Thanks,

Wiz

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Mostly good :)

That 'syringe stuff' you refer to you're going to need anyway, that's Arctic Silver thermal compound and it's used to help transfer heat from your processor to your heat sink.

As wiz pointed out the 8800GT or 9600GTX are better graphics cards options, in my opinion.

You could save 30 or 40 quid on the CPU by getting a slower speed and overclocking it a little.

If you're going to be using the machine for games it's not worth skimping on the mouse and keyboard, these are the devices you'll use to game with, it's not like the X-Box 360 controller (although you can use one of those if you want to but mouse/keyboard a million times better).

Consider a decent Logitech keyboard, nothing real fancy, one of their media jobbies will do and a Logitech G5 mouse.

In time, you'll want a bigger monitor ;)

Reaction score
ok thanks for your replys so far ok now put aside this build for a minute and was wondering what you lot think of this site only 40mins from my house build time four days www.easypc-uk.com budget is £800 max just wondered whether pre built one would be better with me never building one lol let me know,if no good i look into graphics cards

ps: got keyboard, mouse ,22"hdtv monitor. so only need a base unit

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi,

I my self would not buy another pc from a shop unless I knew all the parts details that was inside the system. With building one yourself you know what parts are going in and they are often beeter quailty parts and last longer. It is very easy really to build a computer when I first built my first computer it took a while but after you have done a few you can do it really fast. If you do go ahead with building one I don't mind talking you through it the forum and I am sure others would do ths aswell. :)

Regards,

Wiz

Reaction score
ok cheers that would be great i like to learn so my setup i have listed is ok i know, which i will stick with i think or i get confused even more,a few question this one is buging me at minute is the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler where does this fit in the case?
the psu is at bottom of case will the lead from it be able to get to the motherboard
this artic silver compound http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=AC-000-AC i need is it easy to do, also does the cpu have it on back on the chip as a pad or is it in a packet you squeze on your self dont fancy trying to clean it off i hope this makes sense?

also had to change ram to http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=MY-148-CS

will i need anymore fans for the front of case if so which ones

Last edited:
Reaction score
rick75 said:
ok cheers that would be great i like to learn so my setup i have listed is ok i know, which i will stick with i think or i get confused even more,a few question this one is buging me at minute is the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler where does this fit in the case?
the psu is at bottom of case will the lead from it be able to get to the motherboard
this artic silver compound http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=AC-000-AC i need is it easy to do, also does the cpu have it on back on the chip as a pad or is it in a packet you squeze on your self dont fancy trying to clean it off i hope this makes sense?

also had to change ram to http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=MY-148-CS

will i need anymore fans for the front of case if so which ones

The paste the Ram are very good. you will not have any problems with that. That fan is a CPU ram that is mounted onto the CPU then sloted into the motherboard and connected. I don't think there is much point in getting fans for the front of the case as that CPU fan that you listed fill do a very good job at keeping the CPU cool. If you would like front case fans then let me know and I will find some for you. The cable from the psu will be able to connect the motherboard. You can buy cleaning products from OC UK under the cooling section of there website its only about £6 I think.

Hope this helps

Regards,

Wiz

Reaction score
ok cheers i leave the fans for now then this cleaning stuff i take it you use to clean the back of the chip then? is it simple anit gonna ruining it am i lol ok could you link me the one i need plz thanks then i will order the bits going with the ati card see how i go hope you dont mine helping me out here cheers

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Alot of good choices you have there, the only thing I would say is like floppybootstomp I would consider saving a bit of cash and getting a cheaper CPU and overclocking it if necessary - perhaps the E8200 or even a nice Quad Q6600 at £117.49, and also I would ditch the Zalman PSU and go for the Corsair HX620W
nod.gif

...and I personally would have a front case fan every time as it creates a 'windtunnel' effect through your case and helps cool the graphics card/RAM etc ;)

Reaction score
Hi,

I also have that PSU that Ady, listed it is one of the best PSUS I have got. Its so powerful and does not make much noise, also you can connect only the leads that you need so this saves unnessercery leads in the case. I would probly go for the qaud, then you can overclock it to make it run the same as the other one.

I am more than happy to help you with putting it all thogher.

With the cleaning stuff all you do is spary it on the top of the CPU and on the heatsink then remove the paste from the CPU and heatsink the apply the paste to the top of the CPU. Then you can use a old card to spread it over the CPU. I post a link on how to use and apply the past for you.

This is the cleaning stuff.

Regards,

Wiz

Last edited:
Reaction score
ok so if i go for the Q6600 i still need heatsink dont i as it dont state it has one, the psu is nice will it fit in the case tho? anything else i need coz i gotta order in a bit lol

Reaction score
ok here is the list updated with the changes

Antec Three Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case £39.99
(£46.99) £39.99

Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 "Energy Efficient SLACR 95W Edition" 2.40GHz (1066FSB) - OEM £99.99
(£117.49) £99.99

Asus P5Q Pro Intel P45 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard £84.99
(£99.86) £84.99

HIS ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB GDDR5 TV-Out/Dual DVI/HDMI (PCI-Express) - Retail £164.99
(£193.86) £164.99

Samsung SH-S223F/BEBE 22x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer ReWriter (Black) - OEM £12.99
(£15.26) £12.99

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler (Socket LGA775) £14.99
(£17.61) £14.99

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-Bit - OEM (66I-01939) £62.99
(£74.01) £62.99

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM (ST3500320AS) £37.99
(£44.64) £37.99

Corsair 4GB DDR2 XMS2 Dominator PC2-8500C5 TwinX (2x2GB) Supplied with Airflow Fan (TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF) £75.99
(£89.29) £75.99

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound (3.5g) £3.99
(£4.69) £3.99

Akasa AK-TC TIM Clean CPU & Heatsink Cleaner £3.99
(£4.69) £3.99

Corsair HX 620W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Compliant PSU (CMPSU-620HXUK) £74.99
(£88.11) £74.99

Total : £811.00

is this all i need?

Reaction score
rick75 said:
ok so if i go for the Q6600 i still need heatsink dont i as it dont state it has one, the psu is nice will it fit in the case tho? anything else i need coz i gotta order in a bit lol

Thats correct the CPU does not come with the fan as its oem. The fan that you listed will be fine. That PSU will fit into the case aswell. This card will be fine. Or there is this one that comes with a 10 year warranty, I think thats everything. :)

Regards,

Wiz

Reaction score
whats the differance between the ati one i listed to these thought ati was the best around at the min apart from cost?

Reaction score
Your list is fine. I would change the Video card with the 9600GT. There is not much diffrence really.

I do think that Nvidia make better qaulty cards and that there drivers are better than ATI.

Wiz

Reaction score
rick75 said:
so i defo dont need a heat sink then the fan i got just goes on top of it then?

If you let me know the make and the model of your current heatsink I will check to see if it will work the new CPU and socket for you.

Regards

Wiz

Ask a Question