New PC (But what to buy?)

Reaction score
OK, i'm after a new PC.
Price range from £500 to £1k.
Must be able to handle most tasks & my gaming is minimal.
Large storage for photos etc.
Blue-Ray drive would be prefered if possible (future proofed a bit)?
And a good PC to Crunch with.
And Upgrade voucher to Windows7?

Obviously will not be going with Mesh again!!
Have looked at Novatech & even PCWorld!

Do i go for 32 or 64bit O/S?

Any advice or Guidance most welcome.

Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=43

You might find something of interest here.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-187-OK&groupid=43&catid=1078&subcat=

Me mate paid £217 for one of the above a few weeks ago. Quality parts and cheap as chips, he is as happy as Larry.

nod.gif

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Just the tower or you want a full system?

Get 64 bit OS, no point buying a new pc wit ha 32 bit OS these days. Download Win7 Enterprise 90 day trial, then you can just use a retail product key upon general release. ;)

If your not building your own the Ricochet on Novatech looks like a good buy for your budget.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/pc/range/ricochet.html

Big HDD, decent graphics and core speeds etc. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, I'll second V_R in that 64 bit is the way to go - and that the Ricochet looks like a good buy!

The W7 idea is a good one too, as you get just buy the OEM version of W7 once it is released and swap straight over :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
As V_R said :thumb:

Please please please don't buy from PC World, they are el crapola :(

Novatech or OCUK would be my preferred supplier for a tailor-made unit.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Please please please don't buy from PC World, they are el crapola :(
Just thinking aloud Mr FBS!

May wait until afterr the 22nd once Windows7 is released, Not sure if thats a good idea or not?

The PC V_R linked to is one of my choices + we can add a blu-ray player to it.
Plus we would get a Windows7 upgrade.

Or we just buy the basic pc & once the warranty is over we add a blu-ray driver?

Reaction score
Thinking about it may just buy the Standard one from V_R's link now.
Get the uprade voucher & install at a later date.
And once the warranty is up in a years time install a Blu-ray driver when they are cheaper!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
V_R said:
Buy it without an OS.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/evalcenter/cc442495.aspx?ITPID=sprblog < Download

Order Win7 from somewhere, then just re enter your product key on release day. No need to reinstall win7

That is the way to do it, **** vista. ;)

Are you positive about that?

I ask as I was considering doing just that myself as I have the Home Premium edition pre-ordered from Dixons and figured if it was just a case of swapping out the key, I'd install now.

But this is from the guidelines in the link you gave:

After the 90-day Trial expires, if you wish to continue to use Windows 7 Enterprise, please note that you will be required to purchase and perform a clean installation of Windows 7, including drivers and applications. Please keep this in mind; Windows 7 Enterprise is not available through retail channels.

And MS are offering the Enterprise edition for trial, whereas I want to use Home Premium, that's the version that suits me best. And the 90 day trial version doesn't come with a registration key though I expect there will be one pre-installed in the Registry.

I actually have trial versions of Win 7 Ultimate, both 64 and 32 bit but as Home Premium costs less, I assume my soon to come Win 7 Home Premium key code won't work with it.

I think I will probably wait until I receive my Disk of Win 7 from Dixons as there seem to be too many uncertainties for me to install Win 7 Enterprise right now, less than 4 weeks from release date.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
feckit said:
Thinking about it may just buy the Standard one from V_R's link now.
Get the uprade voucher & install at a later date.
And once the warranty is up in a years time install a Blu-ray driver when they are cheaper!

I have read that there are no Blue Ray codecs available for Windows just yet but things may have changed.

If so, kinda pointless buying a Blue Ray deck for your machine.

Does anybody on this forum have a Blue Ray player in their computer and does it play Blue Ray disks?

Also, thinking out loud, if you have a budget of up to £1K it may be worth considering an i5 or i7 based machine for future proofing. Core 2 quad CPU's are now starting to look a little long in the tooth.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Are you positive about that?

I ask as I was considering doing just that myself as I have the Home Premium edition pre-ordered from Dixons and figured if it was just a case of swapping out the key, I'd install now.
Ah bugger, i thought that was what i read on another forum, guess i got my wires crossed! :blush:

Sorry, disregard my above comment then. :)

EDIT: Yep it was the RTM from Technet (Sub required) not the Enterprise version. My bad. :)

Reaction score
We may go with Novatech & get Vista with the Windows 7 upgrade offer?

Thanks for all the advice.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I have read that there are no Blue Ray codecs available for Windows just yet but things may have changed.

If so, kinda pointless buying a Blue Ray deck for your machine.

Does anybody on this forum have a Blue Ray player in their computer and does it play Blue Ray disks?

Also, thinking out loud, if you have a budget of up to £1K it may be worth considering an i5 or i7 based machine for future proofing. Core 2 quad CPU's are now starting to look a little long in the tooth.

I have a Blueray reader/writer in my Sony laptop flopps, Uses the BD software that came with the laptop though..

Ask a Question