New PC Advice

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I am a computer novice so this post will be probably less technical than you are used to reading. I have been looking at different pc packages but do not know if they are good deals or not and its doing my head in!
Ok here we go, I am looking to replace my existing (busted) pc, all i need is a hard drive to surf the web, a good amount of RAM (for downloading), a fairly quick processor for gaming and windows xp or vista.
Can anybody please tell me what i should be looking for eg minimum processor speed etc, and what to stay well clear of.
Thanks life savers:bow:

Bingo

Reaction score
I know you say your a novice but we here at PCR believe it to be better in the long run to maybe consider building your own

That way you can pick and choose exactly what componants you want in it and it is easier to upgrade at our own leasure.

Have you thought about that maybe?

Oh yeah Welcome to PCR btw

Reaction score
Hey, Welcome to the forum
happywave.gif

OcUK usually have some good offers on. But as TriplexDread as said, you may want to consider building your own, it's much more fun, you can learn new things and get some good experience, and customize it to your hearts content. :D

And if anytime you get stuck, were always here to help :)

Reaction score
PC World are still doing some good offers?
Not everyone's best shop but if your after a bargain it may be the place to go?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
feckit said:
PC World are still doing some good offers?
Not everyone's best shop but if your after a bargain it may be the place to go?

:eek: Heresy! :eek:

Novatech; OCUK; Chillblast are the three I'd recommend for off the shelf jobbies.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
Although you willl pay about £75 too much if you get it from OCUK.

Compared to what?

Seriously, I don't know, having never recommended a readymade computer for anybody I know, I've always built (if they twist my arm :D ).

In fact, bearing that in mind, I think in future I will refrain from recommending suppliers of ready built systems as I seriously don't have any experience of them, other than what I read here on this forum.

So, £75.00 extra on an OCUK system costing around £500.00 compared to what. I'm curious :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
feckit said:
OK it's my time to go to the naughty corner then!;)

Just a light hearted quip mon ami ;)

Now what's that T-Shirt some bikers wear? 'I'd rather eat ++++ than ride a Jap bike'

Well, whilst not applauding that particular sentiment, the thought of purchasing a complete computer from PC World instigates the same feeling within me.

They're rubbish, full stop, backup is absymal and they're overpriced.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Sorry i should have been clearer there,

I mean that OCUK are notoriously exspensive, and if you take a like for like system you can guarantee that OCUK is gonna cost a lot more.

I use them but only really for things that are on offer, not like when they charge £80 for something then pretend its on offer for £70 but you can still get it for £65 elsewhere.

They are just starting to annoy me is all, i phoned them up earlier as the only good thing about them is the wealth of items they carry, i enquired if they match prices from other retailers and basically got laughed at on the phone.

Well i shall spend my £1000 at Scan.co.uk then as they carry the same stock (nearly) and are cheaper.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
imo Scan; Aria and E-Buyer are all more attractive to buy from than OCUK, I have become increasingly disillusioned with OCUK of late.

And I've used them for a good ten years I'd say.

Still, I always thought - and still do - their PC deals are good. The difference is you get enthusiasts' components in them usually, no cheapo nasty stuff, which may explain why they are perhaps a little more expensive.

I've used Scan a fair bit lately and I get free postage as I'm a member at Hexus forums. But, they no good for ready made PC's.

Ask a Question