New one with a new problem

Reaction score
Hello all,

First of all my name is Shan and I am currently learning and also designing a database in Access. Your forum users seems to be very helpful and experts in this matter so I thought I could ask around a question or two.

I have a table with around 15 fields, 2 date fields and rest text.

I designed a search form which uses the "LIKE" function to search.

Howevever, some of the fields have multiple keywords, sperated by commas

Eg: Field Name: Author

1. James B, Johnathan D
2. Matt W, Steve J

Those are 2 entries...now if I search for "James B, Johnathan D" then it gives the result [I am not using a query to do this, I am actually defining the text entered as the criteria and then using that to search my table.field then returning that to the input form where I input data]

However, if I type "Jonathan D, James B" in search texbox then it wont return any results...as we know the LIKE function compares word by word and my criteria is in reverse

Is there any way to modify (or new way) to make it so that the each search string within commas would be compared. What I am saying is say you enter "Johnathan D, James B" as my search string

Then it should take "Johnathan D" and search the Author field (say it finds 1 occasion) then it would take "James B" and search the Author field and (say it finds same occasion which is record 1 mentioned above ) and since both returned 1 occasion, it would display that record? or is there other ways/easier ways to do this?

Thank you and please let me know if I did not explain this well.

Thanks again for your time!

Cheers,
Shan

Last edited:

Ask a Question