New Motherboard & Cpu - NTLDR is Missing Error

G

I have been having this issue for days. so here goes. I am upgrading my current system with a new motherboard MSI KT4AV and an AMD 2200 processor and keep getting "NTLDR is Missing" Error. I have booted up from the CD, chosen Repair. Copied the NTLDR and NTDetect.com files to the hard drive, but still get the NTLDR is missing error. Not sure what I am missing. The hard drive works fine in the old system. Help ! I 'm stumped. The only thing I can think of to do is buy a brand new OS. Ouch don't want to do that.

S

Steve C. Ray

Do the repair again by following these instructions. Read carefully. You
don't use the first repair option.

Start the operating system from the CD-ROM (you may have to set your BIOS to
have the CD drive as the first boot device)

When the computer starts from the CD, the system checks your hardware

and then prompts you to select one of the following options:

To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press ENTER.

Press F8 to accept the Licensing Agreement.

A box lists your current Windows XP installation, and then the system

prompts you to select one of the following options:

To repair the selected Windows XP installation, press R.

To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing, press
ESC.

Press R to start the automatic repair process. After repairing Windows XP,

you will need re-download all updates,starting with SP1.

--
Steve C. Ray
Replace "mail" with "36db"
Donielle said:
I have been having this issue for days. so here goes. I am upgrading my
current system with a new motherboard MSI KT4AV and an AMD 2200 processor
and keep getting "NTLDR is Missing" Error. I have booted up from the CD,
chosen Repair. Copied the NTLDR and NTDetect.com files to the hard drive,
but still get the NTLDR is missing error. Not sure what I am missing. The
hard drive works fine in the old system. Help ! I 'm stumped. The only
thing I can think of to do is buy a brand new OS. Ouch don't want to do
that.

G

Hi

The best way for you to fix the problem is to format the HDD and clean install of XP
Boot from the XP CD and select delete the existing OS and then format and partition the HDD

Or read below

NTLDR Is Missing" Error Message When You Upgrade or Install Windows XP Over Windows 95,
Windows 98, or Windows Millennium Editio
The information in this article applies to
Microsoft Windows XP Home Editio
Microsoft Windows XP Professiona

This article was previously published under Q314057
For a Microsoft Windows 2000 version of this article, see 255220.

SYMPTOM

When you attempt to install Windows XP or to upgrade to Windows XP on a computer that runs
Microsoft Windows 95, Microsoft Windows 98, or Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me),
you may receive the following error message after the first restart during the installation
process:

NTLDR is missin
Press any key to restart
This behavior occurs only if Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me is installed on a
large-capacity drive that uses the FAT32 file system.

CAUS

This behavior can occur if your existing Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me installation
was cloned and then applied to a drive that has a different geometry from that of the
source drive of the cloned copy

One possible scenario is as follows: You are running Windows 98 on a 4-gigabyte (GB) drive
After you upgrade, for example to a 30-GB hard disk, you use a third-party disk-imaging
utility to make a mirror image of your Windows 98 installation and apply the image to the
new drive. At a later time, you then upgrade to Windows XP, installing Windows XP over the
cloned image of Windows 98

For this behavior to occur, the following conditions must exist:
The system/boot partition is formatted with the FAT32 file system
The computer boots by using INT-13 extensions (a partition larger than 7.8 gigabytes with a
System-ID type of 0C in the partition table)
Because of the cloning procedure, the Heads (sides) value in the FAT32 BIOS Parameter Block
(BPB) does not match the geometry of the physical drive
The Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me boot code ignores the Heads value in the BPB and
starts those programs even though the value is invalid. However, the boot code in Windows
2000 and Windows XP needs this value, and the boot process does not succeed if the value is
invalid.

RESOLUTIO
To resolve this behavior, correct the invalid Heads (sides) value in the FAT32 BPB to enabl
the Windows XP boot process to continue. The easiest way to update the field is to rewrite
the Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me boot code by using the following procedure:
Restart the computer by using a Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me startup disk that
contains the Sys.com file (this file is included by default)
Make a backup copy of the msdos.sys file in the root directory of your system drive. To do
this, type the following commands from the command prompt

attrib -h -r -s c:\msdos.sy
rename msdos.sys *.ys

At a command prompt, type sys c:. This command rewrites the Windows 95, Windows 98, or
Windows Me boot code with accurate BPB information. If this command runs successfully,
skip to step 4

If you are using a Windows Me startup disk and you receive an error message, "Cannot find
the system file in the standard locations on drive C:", one or more files in the Windows Me
installation have been removed. Use the following steps to place the correct files on the
drive so that the sys command can locate them
Start a command prompt by using the following commands (that is, type the commands and
press ENTER after each command)
c
cd\window

If Windows is installed in a folder other than the Windows folder, adjust the commands
accordingly

Try to switch to the Command folder by using the following command:
cd comman

If an error message indicates that the path is not found, use the following command to
create the Command folder, and then run cd command again
md comman

Switch to the EBD folder by using the following command:
cd eb

If an error message indicates that the path is not found, use the following command to
create the EBD folder, and then repeat the cd ebd command:
md ebd

In the EBD folder, use the following commands to copy the Io.sys file from the root of the
hard drive and to rename the Io.sys file as Winboot.sys:
attrib -s -h -r c:\io.sys
copy c:\io.sys winboot.sys

Winboot.sys is the file that Sys.com needs.

Switch back to drive A, and then run the following commands:
a:
sys c:

Type the following commands, and press ENTER after each command, to restore the original
msdos.sys:
attrib -s -h -r c:\msdos.sys
copy c:\msdos.ysy c:\msdos.sys

Press Y to overwrite the existing MSDOS.SYS file. You should receive a "1 FILE(S) COPIED"
verification that the file was overwritten.

Restart the computer to Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me, and then try the Windows XP
installation or upgrade procedure again.

NOTE: Alternatively, after you run the sys c: command, you can boot to the Recovery Console,
and then use the fixboot command to rewrite the Windows XP boot code. This procedure enables
the original installation to proceed typically.
STATUS
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at
the beginning of this article.
MORE INFORMATION
For additional information, click the article number below to view the article in the
Microsoft Knowledge Base:
178947 Err Msg: Registry File Was Not Found. Registry Services May...

Last Reviewed: 6/12/2002

marfer's notes for XP > http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/xp_notes.htm

Hope it helps.

----- Donielle wrote: -----

I have been having this issue for days. so here goes. I am upgrading my current system with a new motherboard MSI KT4AV and an AMD 2200 processor and keep getting "NTLDR is Missing" Error. I have booted up from the CD, chosen Repair. Copied the NTLDR and NTDetect.com files to the hard drive, but still get the NTLDR is missing error. Not sure what I am missing. The hard drive works fine in the old system. Help ! I 'm stumped. The only thing I can think of to do is buy a brand new OS. Ouch don't want to do that.

G

I reformatted the HDD and tried to install XP, it goes through to the section where it needs to reboot. If I take the Cd boot disk out, when it restarts it just sits there. If I leave it in it boots up again to start loading

----- Peter wrote: -----

Hi,

The best way for you to fix the problem is to format the HDD and clean install of XP.
Boot from the XP CD and select delete the existing OS and then format and partition the HDD.

Or read below:

NTLDR Is Missing" Error Message When You Upgrade or Install Windows XP Over Windows 95,
Windows 98, or Windows Millennium Edition
The information in this article applies to:
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Microsoft Windows XP Professional

SYMPTOMS

When you attempt to install Windows XP or to upgrade to Windows XP on a computer that runs
Microsoft Windows 95, Microsoft Windows 98, or Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me),
you may receive the following error message after the first restart during the installation
process:

NTLDR is missing
Press any key to restart
This behavior occurs only if Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me is installed on a

CAUSE

This behavior can occur if your existing Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me installation
was cloned and then applied to a drive that has a different geometry from that of the
source drive of the cloned copy.

One possible scenario is as follows: You are running Windows 98 on a 4-gigabyte (GB) drive.
After you upgrade, for example to a 30-GB hard disk, you use a third-party disk-imaging
utility to make a mirror image of your Windows 98 installation and apply the image to the
new drive. At a later time, you then upgrade to Windows XP, installing Windows XP over the
cloned image of Windows 98.

The system/boot partition is formatted with the FAT32 file system.
The computer boots by using INT-13 extensions (a partition larger than 7.8 gigabytes with a
System-ID type of 0C in the partition table).
Because of the cloning procedure, the Heads (sides) value in the FAT32 BIOS Parameter Block
(BPB) does not match the geometry of the physical drive.
The Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me boot code ignores the Heads value in the BPB and
starts those programs even though the value is invalid. However, the boot code in Windows
2000 and Windows XP needs this value, and the boot process does not succeed if the value is
invalid.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this behavior, correct the invalid Heads (sides) value in the FAT32 BPB to enable
the Windows XP boot process to continue. The easiest way to update the field is to rewrite
the Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me boot code by using the following procedure:
Restart the computer by using a Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me startup disk that
contains the Sys.com file (this file is included by default).
Make a backup copy of the msdos.sys file in the root directory of your system drive. To do
this, type the following commands from the command prompt:

attrib -h -r -s c:\msdos.sys
rename msdos.sys *.ysy

At a command prompt, type sys c:. This command rewrites the Windows 95, Windows 98, or
Windows Me boot code with accurate BPB information. If this command runs successfully,
skip to step 4.

If you are using a Windows Me startup disk and you receive an error message, "Cannot find
the system file in the standard locations on drive C:", one or more files in the Windows Me
installation have been removed. Use the following steps to place the correct files on the
drive so that the sys command can locate them:
Start a command prompt by using the following commands (that is, type the commands and
press ENTER after each command):
c:
cd\windows

If Windows is installed in a folder other than the Windows folder, adjust the commands
accordingly.

cd command

create the Command folder, and then run cd command again:
md command

cd ebd

md ebd

In the EBD folder, use the following commands to copy the Io.sys file from the root of the

a:
sys c:

Type the following commands, and press ENTER after each command, to restore the original
msdos.sys:

Press Y to overwrite the existing MSDOS.SYS file. You should receive a "1 FILE(S) COPIED"

Restart the computer to Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me, and then try the Windows XP

NOTE: Alternatively, after you run the sys c: command, you can boot to the Recovery Console,
and then use the fixboot command to rewrite the Windows XP boot code. This procedure enables
STATUS
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at
MORE INFORMATION
For additional information, click the article number below to view the article in the

Hope it helps.

W

Wichetael

Do you get any message whatsoever, anyway with a partition editing program
check that the boot partition is actually marked active.

Regards, Wichetael

Donielle said:
I reformatted the HDD and tried to install XP, it goes through to the
section where it needs to reboot. If I take the Cd boot disk out, when it
restarts it just sits there. If I leave it in it boots up again to start

Hi,

The best way for you to fix the problem is to format the HDD and clean install of XP.
Boot from the XP CD and select delete the existing OS and then format and partition the HDD.

Or read below:

SYMPTOMS

process:

NTLDR is missing
Press any key to restart

CAUSE

One possible scenario is as follows: You are running Windows 98 on a 4-gigabyte (GB) drive.

invalid.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this behavior, correct the invalid Heads (sides) value in the FAT32 BPB to enable

rename msdos.sys *.ysy

skip to step 4.

c:
cd\windows

accordingly.

cd command

md command

cd ebd

md ebd

a:
sys c:

msdos.sys:

STATUS
MORE INFORMATION

Hope it helps.

I have been having this issue for days. so here goes. I am
upgrading my current system with a new motherboard MSI KT4AV and an AMD 2200
processor and keep getting "NTLDR is Missing" Error. I have booted up from
the CD, chosen Repair. Copied the NTLDR and NTDetect.com files to the hard
drive, but still get the NTLDR is missing error. Not sure what I am
missing. The hard drive works fine in the old system. Help ! I 'm stumped.
The only thing I can think of to do is buy a brand new OS. Ouch don't want
to do that.

W

Wichetael

Do you get any message whatsoever, anyway with a partition editing program
check that the boot partition is actually marked active.

Regards, Wichetael

Donielle said:
I reformatted the HDD and tried to install XP, it goes through to the
section where it needs to reboot. If I take the Cd boot disk out, when it
restarts it just sits there. If I leave it in it boots up again to start

Hi,

Or read below:

SYMPTOMS

process:

NTLDR is missing
Press any key to restart

CAUSE

invalid.

RESOLUTION

rename msdos.sys *.ysy

skip to step 4.

c:
cd\windows

accordingly.

cd command

md command

cd ebd

md ebd

a:
sys c:

msdos.sys:

STATUS
MORE INFORMATION

Hope it helps.

I have been having this issue for days. so here goes. I am
upgrading my current system with a new motherboard MSI KT4AV and an AMD 2200
processor and keep getting "NTLDR is Missing" Error. I have booted up from
the CD, chosen Repair. Copied the NTLDR and NTDetect.com files to the hard
drive, but still get the NTLDR is missing error. Not sure what I am
missing. The hard drive works fine in the old system. Help ! I 'm stumped.
The only thing I can think of to do is buy a brand new OS. Ouch don't want
to do that.

Ask a Question