New laptop w/ vista

xp via WindowsKB.com

I am thinking about buying a Compaq Presario notebook. I am not sure if it is
a good buy or not. Could someone help?

It is on sale at our local Staple's store for 479.98

Here are its stats:

*AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-53
*1GB RAM * 80GB hard drive ( I know it's kind of small hard drive & RAM)
*15.4" wide-screen display
*SuperMulti DVD drive with double-layer support
*Windows Vista Home Premium
*Save $150
=$479.98

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!!! I HAVE UNTIL SATURDAY TO DECIDE!!!

(I don't know which group to put this post in.)

Jdr

--
XP

It sounds for the money not but, but
I'd, if budget allows, go definitely for a better specification.
Although you cannot go wrong with Compaq.
There might be problem with Vista Home Prem.
I'd prefer Vista Ultimate.

Take a look at this :
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF02d/321957-321957-64295.html

Tom Willett

I personally will never buy another Compaq product.

|I am thinking about buying a Compaq Presario notebook. I am not sure if it
is
| a good buy or not. Could someone help?
|
| It is on sale at our local Staple's store for 479.98
|
| Here are its stats:
|
| *AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-53
| *1GB RAM * 80GB hard drive ( I know it's kind of small hard drive & RAM)
| *15.4" wide-screen display
| *SuperMulti DVD drive with double-layer support
| *Windows Vista Home Premium
| *Save $150
| =$479.98
|
| PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!!! I HAVE UNTIL SATURDAY TO DECIDE!!!
|
| (I don't know which group to put this post in.)
|
| --
| XP

AJR

Price is right! However the 80 gig HD may be a problem - if not now - in
the future. There will be a "Recovery Partition" on the drive which will
take anywhere from 6 to 10 gigs of the HD.

HP provides an utility to copy the recovery partition to removeable media
and remove the partiton - I would assume that Compaq models do the same.

When the recovery partition is created, the MBR is modified to show the "Hit
F11 key...." (or something similar) at boot to restore. If you delete the
recovery partion via explorer the MBR modification is not removed - the
utility does do so.

Ask yourself what are you going to use the computer for?
For general computer work/ internet /play music / dvds the machine should be
OK.
For gaming or serious graphic it is not the machine for that.
You must understand it is in the low cost range and you get what you pay for.
As a general purpose PC, OK.
Ask the sales person what the performance rating is, if below 3.0 you will
not get all the benefits of Vista Home Premium, a rating of at least 3.5 -5
would be better.
(the higher the better)
This an opinion only the choice is yours.
Good Luck & Good Shopping

xp via WindowsKB.com

I plan to use it for my yearbook class, which does most internet and general
use.

Bob said:
Ask yourself what are you going to use the computer for?
For general computer work/ internet /play music / dvds the machine should be
OK.
For gaming or serious graphic it is not the machine for that.
You must understand it is in the low cost range and you get what you pay for.
As a general purpose PC, OK.
Ask the sales person what the performance rating is, if below 3.0 you will
not get all the benefits of Vista Home Premium, a rating of at least 3.5 -5
would be better.
(the higher the better)
This an opinion only the choice is yours.
Good Luck & Good Shopping
I am thinking about buying a Compaq Presario notebook. I am not sure if it is
a good buy or not. Could someone help?
[quoted text clipped - 14 lines]
(I don't know which group to put this post in.)

xp via WindowsKB.com

What do you mean.
I am thinking about buying a Compaq Presario notebook. I am not sure if it
is
[quoted text clipped - 15 lines]
(I don't know which group to put this post in.)

It sounds for the money not but, but
I'd, if budget allows, go definitely for a better specification.
Although you cannot go wrong with Compaq.
There might be problem with Vista Home Prem.
I'd prefer Vista Ultimate.

Take a look at this :
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF02d/321957-321957-64295.html

Swingman

"xp via WindowsKB.com" wrote in messag
I am thinking about buying a Compaq Presario notebook. I am not sure if it
is
a good buy or not. Could someone help?

It is on sale at our local Staple's store for 479.98

Here are its stats:

*AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-53
*1GB RAM * 80GB hard drive ( I know it's kind of small hard drive & RAM)
*15.4" wide-screen display
*SuperMulti DVD drive with double-layer support
*Windows Vista Home Premium
*Save $150
=$479.98

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!!! I HAVE UNTIL SATURDAY TO DECIDE!!!

Depending upon the video/graphics system, I suspect you may be a bit
disappointed with the overall performance.

xp via WindowsKB.com

The site for the laptop is:
http://staples.shoplocal.com/staple...gle&storeid=2278798&rapid=423613&pagenumber=2
( it is the 3rd one from the top.)

"xp via WindowsKB.com" wrote in messag
I am thinking about buying a Compaq Presario notebook. I am not sure if it
is
[quoted text clipped - 13 lines]
PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!!! I HAVE UNTIL SATURDAY TO DECIDE!!!

Depending upon the video/graphics system, I suspect you may be a bit
disappointed with the overall performance.

Swingman

"xp via WindowsKB.com" wrote in message
The site for the laptop is:

Unless I missed it, no more information than what you originally provided.

It's an attractive price ... probably too good, but again, depending upon
the intended use.

I just shopped hard for a laptop/notebook a few weeks back so I'm roughly
familiar with prices/specs and what's available.

Again, my somewhat limited experience with Vista thus far is that the HD
(5400rpm?), 1GB RAM, and the still unspecified graphic's subsystem, which
will probably use a good deal of that RAM, is going to bog you down with
Vista.

Only you can make the decision, but I would certainly want a bulletproof
option to return if not suitable for your intended use.

Sorry to be vague, but this is a situation where hands-on has to be the
ultimate judge.

xp via WindowsKB.com

I am able to refund it within 14 days of purchase.

I intend to use it for just mainly for basic use like yearbook class, which
needs internet and other little projects, like reports and such. No videos,
games, or any other major graphics thing.

Lang Murphy

xp via WindowsKB.com said:
I am able to refund it within 14 days of purchase.

I intend to use it for just mainly for basic use like yearbook class,
which
needs internet and other little projects, like reports and such. No
videos,
games, or any other major graphics thing.

--
XP

Check that there's no restocking fee within that 14 day period... that can
be a pretty stiff charge.

If budget is the most important thing here, I think you'll be fine with that
spec, regardless of the shared video RAM issue. I think you'll need to
allocate at least 128MB RAM to get Aero fired up. And... not really... I got
Aero working on a laptop with 512MB RAM and 64MB shared video RAM... but the
video card must support Aero in any case. So if you allocate 128MB RAM to
video, that will leave you with enough RAM to do the simple tasks you've
listed.

No doubt, though, that more RAM is better. You might want to see how much it
would cost you to upgrade to 2GB's RAM when you buy the laptop. Oh yeah... I
didn't look at the spec link you posted, but you may want to know, if the
spec sheet doesn't disclose it, how the 1GB RAM is delivered. Is it 2 512MB
sticks, leaving no free slots to add more RAM? (Meaning, if you ever decide
you want to upgrade to 2GB's RAM... you'd have to buy 2 1GB's sticks to do
that... and sell your 2 512MB sticks on eBay for next to nothing. If,
however, the laptop is delivered with a single 1GB stick and you have a free
RAM slot, then to upgrade to 2 GB's RAM would only require purchasing a
single 1GB stick. Depending on the vendor, it may be as cost effective to
buy the extra RAM now, rather than later.)

Another thing... don't rush out and buy a laptop just because this or that
vendor is having a sale. Make sure you really investigate the hw, especially
if you want to run Vista. Just because the laptop comes with Vista Home
Premium is no guarantee that the video card supports Aero. (Most likely it
does, without doubt, but these days it's up to the consumer to "do" due
diligence prior to purchasing just about anything more complicated than a
toaster. At least imho.) And if you're buying this from Staples... well, I'd
take anything the salespeople on the floor tell you about computers and
Vista with a shovel-full of salt. Maybe even a truckload...

Good luck!

Lang

I recently purchased a Compaq laptop somewhat the same specs but a Celeron
520, 1gig ram 80gig hd, I use it for managing a web site so run email
porgram, browser, FrontPage, a graphics program to work with the images that
are posted to it, and assorted folders open, all with out a problem. I do not
need any of the fluff of any operating system so I turn all this off - as I
do with XP also, I rarely see any of it, I also remove all the extra programs
sometimes called crapware and start up items that are not needed. The only
option I turn on is show graphics as thumb nails in folders because that
helps me identify the ones that I have in each folder. This laptop was on a
super sale at BestBuy, it is running Vista Basic which I find does a little
better at conserving resources over the Premium on my desktop. The only thing
I don't like about it is the placement of plug in stuff, the power goes on
the side, I like it out the back, the USB on the other side etc. I plug in a
flash drive, a mouse, some times a camera and the power when I need to work

Hi there
Just reading through some posts and came across yours .Dont know
if you have bought your laptop yet but i bought a compaq presario c542ea 4
months ago with vista home premium on it and have had no problems at all
apart from teething problems with a new os(to be expected )As far as i am
concerned it is a good laptop that does what you require as long as you dont
expect to much what you specified your usage would be it will be fine and
probably alot more. I use mine for basic home use i.e downloading
music,vids,ect and i run a 3D conservatory designe program aswell with no
probs.hope all goes well for you .