New font name does not show up on Word 2003 font list

Discussion in 'Microsoft Word New Users' started by Clueless in Seattle, Nov 2, 2006.

  1. I'm running Word 2003 under Windows 2000 Pro.

    A few moments ago I downloaded a free font called Monotype Corsiva from
    this web page:

    http://designgraphics.org/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=search&query=

    The file that I downloaded was named: MTCORSIA.TTF

    I closed my MS Office applications and then used Start>Settings>Control
    Panel>Fonts>File>Install New Font and selected Monotype Corsiva.

    I then reopend a document file with Word 2003 and clicked on the down
    arrow to display the font list from the formatting toolbar to check to
    make sure the font had been properly installed.

    I was perplexed to find that on the font list, in the place where I
    expected to find the font name "Monotype Corsiva" displayed, I instead
    found a blank entry on the list.

    But strangely, when I clicked on the blank entry, then the name
    "Monotype Corsiva" would appear in the little box on the formatting
    toolbar. And when I selected some text in the the Word document file
    and then clicked on the blank entry in the font list, the text was
    indeed reformatted with the "Montotype Corsiva" font.

    So it appears that I've managed to successfully install the Monotype
    Corsiva font. I just can't see its name on the drop down font list in
    the formatting toolbar.

    I'd be grateful to someone who could explain to me how to get the font
    name to appear on the list.

    Will in Seattle
    a.k.a. "Clueless"

    Clueless in Seattle, Nov 2, 2006

  2. Why did you download it from some site when it's part of Office 2003?
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/HA011872311033.aspx

    Since most of the fonts that come with Office cannot be legally downloaded
    for free, I would suspect a faulty file. Uninstall it and then install it
    from your Office CD.
    --

    JoAnn Paules
    MVP Microsoft [Publisher]