New firewall for DSL?

George W

I'm planning to order DSL from SBC Yahoo. Have had dial-up till now. I'm
running McAfee Security, which includes McAfee's firewall.

SBC Yahoo offers their own firewall for $50 bucks. Is it worth the cost
considering I already have McAfee?

George

Bart Bailey

I'm planning to order DSL from SBC Yahoo. Have had dial-up till now. I'm
running McAfee Security, which includes McAfee's firewall.

SBC Yahoo offers their own firewall for $50 bucks. Is it worth the cost
considering I already have McAfee?

George

I've had SBC DSL since 2001.
When Yahoo got involved it took almost a year to convince them that I
neither wanted to migrate, nor anything to do with Yahoo. I used Zone
Alarm free for quite awhile and now use the re-branded eTrust EZFirewall
with my DSL and it works just fine.

Hurricane Andrew

Sygate or ZA Free. No need to spend that kind of $$$ for a personal
firewall.

Steve

George said:
I'm planning to order DSL from SBC Yahoo. Have had dial-up till now.
I'm running McAfee Security, which includes McAfee's firewall.

SBC Yahoo offers their own firewall for $50 bucks. Is it worth the
cost considering I already have McAfee?

George

GW:

If you already have a firewall, then you probably do not need another. I am
unfamilier with the McAfee firewall, but there are already several good FREE
ones available. I have been using ZoneAlarm free for a few years now.

Steve

George W

Can I use ZoneAlarm together with the McAfee firewall that I already have?
I'm nervous about being connected to the Internet with an "always on"
connection. Or is there no benefit to running two firewalls?

George

the shadow

Can I use ZoneAlarm together with the McAfee firewall that I already have?
I'm nervous about being connected to the Internet with an "always on"
connection. Or is there no benefit to running two firewalls?

George

If you are that worried about it get a router. And then go to
https://grc.com try out the "Shields Up test". I have both a Mac and a PC on
my router and the IP address comes out the same for both computers. In other
words the internet is just seeing the router.

Although one interesting thing is when I do a port check the printer port
always shows that it is open on both systems. But again this is the routers
printer port not my computers.

Haven't had time to investigate that yet. I have DSL with MCI, for what it
is worth.

Hud

Jeffrey A. Setaro

I'm planning to order DSL from SBC Yahoo. Have had dial-up till now. I'm
running McAfee Security, which includes McAfee's firewall.

SBC Yahoo offers their own firewall for $50 bucks. Is it worth the cost
considering I already have McAfee?

Personally, I'd suggest using on of the free personal firewall in
combination with a broadband router/firewall appliance (see list
below).

D-Link Express EtherNetwork Router DI-804HV
Linksys EtherFast Router BEFSX41
Netgear ProSafe Router FR114P
SMC Barricade Plus Router SMC7004VBR
ZyXel Prestige 334

Cheers-

Jeff Setaro
jasetaro@SPAM_ME_NOT_mags.net
http://people.mags.net/jasetaro/
PGP Key IDs DH/DSS: 0x5D41429D RSA: 0x599D2A99 New RSA: 0xA19EBD34

Jeffrey A. Setaro

Can I use ZoneAlarm together with the McAfee firewall that I already have?

Probably not... They'd probably end conflicting with each other and
locking the machine up.
I'm nervous about being connected to the Internet with an "always on"
connection. Or is there no benefit to running two firewalls?

Keep your McAfee firewall and invest in a broadband router/firewall
appliance.

Cheers-

Jeff Setaro
jasetaro@SPAM_ME_NOT_mags.net
http://people.mags.net/jasetaro/
PGP Key IDs DH/DSS: 0x5D41429D RSA: 0x599D2A99 New RSA: 0xA19EBD34

George W

I just visited grc.com and received a perfect "stealth" score running
McAfee. Guess that's good enough! Thanks for the pointer.

George

Bob Alexander

I just visited grc.com and one of my PCs showed problems with some of
the ports. How can I reset my ports back to normal?

Robert L. Alexander
Sauder Woodworking Co.
Ph. 419.446.3221
Fx. 419.446.4978