New explorer window, blank explorer window, no Windows Fax & Picture Preview of Desktop JPEGs, etc.

DataGuy

I'm seeing alot of other people having this problem as well. Here's what I
have experienced:

a.. In IE 6, SP2, right-clicking any link, and selecting 'Open in New
Window' results in a new window that is blank. The blank window will not
permit you to right-click and view 'properties'
b.. Clicking hyperlinks in emails no longer work
c.. Left-clicking links on a webpage that are supposed to open a new
window do not work, or the result is the same as in the first bullet point
d.. My Windows 'Picture and Fax Viewer' developed quirks around the same
time I started having issues in IE 6. The issue is that some JPEG files,
when right-clicked, and selected to open in the Viewer, will come up blank
with error 'no preview available', and at the same time, have the name of
some other file in the menu-bar.
e.. Right-clicking files, to 'send to email as attachment' no longer
works.
f.. Trying to 'send to email' out of Word or Excel, etc, no longer works.
I have switched to Netscape 8.0.1, (which is based on Firefox but doesn't
have as many limitations (incompatibilities) from the get-go as Firefox
does).

I have tried all the regsrv32 line commands, and uninstalling & reinstalling
of XP service packs with no success in fixing the issue.

Does anyone know if Microsoft has taken note of this issue?.

Don Varnau

[Posted originally on 5/27/05]

Hi,
These are common problems caused by:
* IE not being the default browser
* Changed File Associations
* File corruption.
See these pages:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFAQ.htm Tips #7, 41, 50
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/IEFAQ.htm Tips #21 & 46
http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/nolinks.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers2.htm#hyperlinks
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers.htm#new_window

Also, you may have to reregister Outlook Express as the default e-mail
program:
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/faqs/why.htm#reregOE

Fr the JPG problem, go to http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm Download
the JPE/JPG/JPEG Association Fix.

Also, in Netscape's settings, you may have to deselect it as the default
browser.

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

DataGuy

Here are my results in order of trying the suggestions:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFAQ.htm Tips #7, 41, 50
None of these tips helped.

http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/IEFAQ.htm Tips #21 & 46
REQ.DAT is not found on my computer.
I use Microsoft AntiSpyware.
None of these tips helped.

http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/nolinks.htm
URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol is not listed in my filetypes list.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679
Tried these REGSVR32 fixes, they didn't help
Verified presence of noted registry keys

http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers2.htm#hyperlinks
Page cannot be found - are you sure you listed the correct address?

DataGuy said:
[...]

Sorry. That site is being reworked.
Try:

If you installed SP2 as an update, you might try uninstalling/reinstalling
SP2.
875350 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;875350

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

For the JPG problem, go to http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm