New Desktop?

Reaction score
Since I believe our old desktop is pretty much... dead, I've been talking to my mom and I think I've got her on my side that we need a new computer.

I know nothing about computers, really. I don't understand computer jargon, really, so I thought I'd come back and see if you guys could help!

All I know is that I'd like a PC for gaming and for graphic making. I'm not TOO much of a hardcore PC gamer, but I will game sometimes and may get into it more since we'd have a good computer.

I'm not sure how much our budget would be, I'd have to ask.

A friend suggested an eMachine to me and they seem good, but really doesn't make them good, right?

http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=ET1331-02
The model in the link above caught my eye. It's the most expensive one on the site(desktop wise) and seems like it might do the trick?

I'd really appreciate your help and suggestions and can't wait to see what you guys have to say.
Thanks in advance!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've had a look at the specs of that machine, and although it has plenty of RAM and Windows 7, it is really let down in other areas by things like the graphics card. The GeForce® 6150 SE is a very old integrated graphics chipset and would really struggle under any new games (I don't even think it would run them).

Once you've got a budget we can take a look for some suitable machines for you :).

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
wouldn't touch one even if it was given to me ... your "friend" knows less then you do about computers ;)

Integrated graphic
= no new games for you to play then. Means a cheap motherboard is being used.

20" widescreen LCD display (E202H bmd) 1600 × 900 (native and maximum)
ouch!! and built-in speakers, that's a joke ... any monitor that spouts built-in anything should be avoided in my book, they just trying to make an inferior component look good.

you asked.

:user:

Reaction score
Well, I asked my mom our budget and she said 600-800. I'm willing to chip in another hundred making it 900 if she'll actually let me help pay..

Any suggestions now :D?

Reaction score
Yes, I do live in America (joined this forum since it seemed VERY helpful).

And floppybootstomp, that would over a little 1200 dollars, which I don't think is doable. Although.. I don't exactly NEED a keyboard and mouse like that, or a new sound system. But that still comes out to be over a thousand dollars. If possible, is there anything that comes bundled with a monitor and screen for 900 dollars or less that would be good for gaming and graphics and everyday use.

Thanks again for all of the help.

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Bruthel: If you've determined the price with a currency converter, it won't hold true, as goods are generally cheaper in the States.

In my experience computer goods costing £800 in the UK would pretty much cost $800 in the USA so it may be worth shopping around.

Try and find an independent supplier who builds machines with gaming in mind. The only supplier in America I'm vaguely familiar with is New Egg, lots of American guys speak well of them. But I don't know if they make complete machines.

Avoid Dell, Compaq, Alienware, look for a smaller concern with a good track record.

Sorry can't help and good luck with your purchase.

Reaction score
Hi

As Flopps has pointed out definitely worth checking out Newegg.com I would also recommend checking out tigerdirect.com

Hope this helps

Reaction score
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883147096

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883147200

How do these look? They SEEM alright.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5602487&CatId=4928

This seems the best out of all of them.. it's 800 dollars and I can spend the extra 100 dollars on a monitor and or whatever else we'll need.

Sorry for relying on you guys so much, I'm just completely clueless when it comes to specifications of computers and what would be good for me.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
None of the above.

You do NOT want integrated graphics.

Integrated graphics are where the motherboard has a chip that does the video processing. It is ALWAYS a compromise and only really suitable for word processing or at a pinch viewing movies. Deffo not gaming.

You need a machine that has a halfway decent independent graphics card.

Keep searching ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Desktop PC's with integrated graphics are acceptable for office or media use but if you have even just a passing interest in games a seperate graphics card is almost essential.

I'm afraid your link in the last post doesn't work :(

And Happy Independence Day :D

Ask a Question