New Computer (Again!)

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Now all that remains is to wait till the Nvidia 380GTX and Windows 7 are released.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Alf said:
I know- im actually thinking of keeping it as is. Seems like there isnt much perfomance increase to be had when RAID 0 (ing) the fastest HDD :)

True, but it does run a little better.

It's a close call.

Nice to have a RAID 0 but if it crashes you'll lose the lot.

Using two disks at least you'd have a nice big semi-secure storage space.

Just remember though that nothing's foolproof - mechanical hard disks can and will fail.

So, let me state the obvious - backup :)

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Well good thing the raptors have a operating time average of 5 years :)

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
M4A79T Deluxe

DSCF0208.jpg

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Looks good :thumb: Does it work
laughingsmiley.gif

Some might laugh, but its quite a good question..How many people have put together a machine only for nothing to happen when they try power up. I've had it happen a few times...

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
But he's not using SSD's :confused:

I know that Flop's. I'm not poking fun at Alf or owt like that. However the test results also include 300 GB Velociraptors in single mode and in RAID 0 and clearly show a big speed boost in the Raid 0 set up. I thought that may just be of interest. :p

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
I know that Flop's. I'm not poking fun at Alf or owt like that. However the test results also include 300 GB Velociraptors in single mode and in RAID 0 and clearly show a big speed boost in the Raid 0 set up. I thought that may just be of interest. :p

Ah. Ok. Ahem. I didn't read the review in depth I must confess, just saw SSD's were the subject and skipped to the conclusion.

(Which is what I do with most reviews, truth be told)

In which case, I apologise.

However, I have oft stated on this wonderful organ we know as PCRUK that many times have I dabbled with a RAID 0 and whilst all the benchmarks state in numeric terms that it is indeed the best thing since sliced bread, in real terms I have always been left feeling distinctly unimpressed.

And that's the truth, my understanding, mostly through experience but sometimes through reading, is that a RAID 0 is only beneficial in real terms and everyday use when using a pair of WD Velicoraptors, Seagate Cheetahs or SCSI disks.

SSD's open up a whole new testing ground however, which is why I'm so interested in them.

I have mentioned elsewhere on the forum that I'm probably not going to buy a pair of Velicoraptors when I change to Win 7 in October, I shall very likely stay with my pair of 74Gb Raptors for the time being and hope that relatively soon, say 6 months, a pair of quality 128Gb SSD's become viable economically for my desktop.

Here's hoping.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Its up and running, unfortunatly I had to grab a 32 bit version of Windows 7 instead of 64 bit, due to my installation disc (maybe even the file) becoming corrupt. As a result ive uninstalled 2 GB of RAM leaving me with 'only' 4 Gigs. :D

On that note - I belive i will have to get a new CPU cooler, already. Seems that the THORS HAMMER is just too large and the heatsinks on the RAM collide with it. So i had to shift them over a bit - but when i do go 64 bit, i wont be able to use that 2 GB stick of RAM. ACK!

Time too look for anouther heatsink *grumble grumble*

Reaction score
Alf said:
Its up and running, unfortunatly I had to grab a 32 bit version of Windows 7 instead of 64 bit, due to my installation disc (maybe even the file) becoming corrupt. As a result ive uninstalled 2 GB of RAM leaving me with 'only' 4 Gigs. :D

On that note - I belive i will have to get a new CPU cooler, already. Seems that the THORS HAMMER is just too large and the heatsinks on the RAM collide with it. So i had to shift them over a bit - but when i do go 64 bit, i wont be able to use that 2 GB stick of RAM. ACK!

I had to have a couple of attempts at downloading x64 bit to...Always corrupt...
Bummer that the cooler gets in the way. Tis a nice cooler..

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Alf said:

I managed to d/l 64 Bit version, suggest you keep trying or PM me and I'll send it to you.

The large heat sink/clashing with RAM sticks is a common problem.

In my AMD system I have a Noctua heatsink with 2 x 120mm fans and it's really huge.

4 memory slots, because of the extra fan I can only use 3.

No probs, only 2Gb RAM/XP in there anyway.

Alf, it will all come good in the end, believe me, that's a nice system you have there :)

PS: Sorry about maybe being a little OT in your thread, we kinda meandered.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
I know its a good computer, now i just need to find something to do :)

Ask a Question