New cancer-fighting broccoli

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Cancer fighting broccoli created by Norwich scientists

_55817743_img00472-20111004-1241.jpg

The broccoli is believed to protect against some cancers

A variety of broccoli developed in Norfolk which contains high levels of a chemical thought to fight heart disease and some cancers, is going on sale.
Beneforte contains three times the level of glucoraphanin than standard varieties.

The chemical is thought to help in reducing inflammation and inhibiting cell division associated with some early-stage cancers.

The work was carried out at the Institute of Food Research in Norwich.
Scientists began the project in 1983 and achieved the result by cross-breeding a wild broccoli with higher levels of glucoraphanin with existing strains.

The chemical is converted into sulphoraphane which is carried round the body in the blood and may also help to boost the body's antioxidants.
Professor Richard Mithen from the Institute said: "Our research has given new insights into the role of broccoli and other similar vegetables in promoting health, and has shown how this understanding can lead to the development of potentially more nutritious varieties of our familiar vegetables."
Source: BBC News

The broccoli - called Beneforte - will be sold at the UK retailer Marks & Spencer starting Tuesday and will be on the shelves of other supermarkets next year.

Studies have shown men with broccoli-rich diets have a reduced risk of prostate and bowel cancer. Other research suggests it can also help prevent heart attacks and strokes.

It was created using conventional methods at the Institute of Food Research and John Innes Center in the UK. Work on the project began after a wild broccoli variety was discovered in 1983 with raised levels of glucoraphanin.

The nutrient is converted in the stomach into sulphoraphane, which scientists believe will stop the uncontrolled cell division associated with early-stage cancer.
Source: Fox News

Looks like "eat up your greens" was good advice after all. :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
My chemist looked at me funny when I ask for a prescription for "food", such as broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts or cabbages, well, they are supposed to be healthy for me ... I get free prescription ... I like sprouts, collie & cabbage and have one them at least once a week, 5 a day :lol: no chance, me fridge isn't big enough ... you do know you have to keep these things refrigerated, it says so on the plastic packaging. :)

Should just give us a pill of glucoraphanin. It is also found in bok choy, kale, collards, Chinese broccoli, broccoli raab, kohlrabi, mustard, turnip, radish, arugula, and watercress. 5 a-day. :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I was aware broccoli had cancer fighting properties, I do know of one person who was cured of a cancer and swears broccoli is keeping them alive, so who am I to argue? So now they've concentrated the good bit. Gotta be good I suppose but must admit it seems a bit Dr Moreau to me.

I really should eat more veg but, but... :blush:

Still, today I had three huge tomatoes, what they call steak tomatoes I believe and scooped out innards, mixed with grated cheddar, refilled the tomatoes and baked them - yummy :)

Ask a Question