New boot disk - What freeware to reinstall (here is my list, for starters)

Klaatu

I can't stand the UI of 7-zip myself. It's been a while since I tried
it, but I could get it to do simple things that were a breeze with
WinZip or IZArc for that matter.

Oops, of course I meant "...but I could NOT get it to do simple things...".
Duh me.

John Fitzsimons

Response from John Fitzsimons <[email protected]>:
Tools > Options > Plugins (tab) > 7-Zip (plug-in) > Options > System
(tab) >
"Extract to <Folder>"
Do you think it does things better now? ; )

No. I have that option ticked. I still cannot extract a compressed
file to a folder of the same name without manually putting in the name
of the folder (if using the GUI). I can with Winzip.

Regards, John.

John Fitzsimons

For the record, IZArc freeware not only extracts the file to a folder of
any name, it chooses the most logical name and location automatically for
you ... and ... not only that - but it opens the resultant folder
automatically for you if you have that option checked.
What could be more convenient?

Extracting a compressed file to a folder of the same name. Without
needing to manually put the name of the folder in.

< snip >

Regards, John.

Anthony Matonak

John said:
Yes, but AFAIK it doesn't do 7-zip extractions. :-(

From the website...
: Supports ZIP, RAR, ISO, BIN, IMG, IMA, IMZ, 7Z, ACE, JAR, GZ, LZH,
: LHA, TAR, SIT archive formats

I don't know if 7Z is the same as 7-zip but it sounds close.

Anthony

-Lost

Response from John Fitzsimons said:
No. I have that option ticked. I still cannot extract a compressed
file to a folder of the same name without manually putting in the
name of the folder (if using the GUI). I can with Winzip.

Hrmm... if you are ABSOLUTELY positive then I have no clue. I have
the option to "Extract files" which prompts me for a name, "Extract
here" which dumps the contents in the folder where the archive
resides, and as soon as I enabled "Extract to <Folder>" I have an
entirely new context menu item that says for example: "Extract to
'treepad\'".

I'd make sure you have the latest version, have the correct option
checked, and make sure that you have the context menu enabled, and
then see whether or not you have something like "Extract to
'name_of_archive/'" available after that. If not, you could file a
report or bug, whatever. I would understand if you didn't though. I
cannot stand 7-Zip and only have it to create and modify BZ2, TAR,
and GZ archives.

I still wish I had a better BZ2, TAR, and GZ option though. For
example, a *.tar.gz that I did not have to create in two separate
steps.

Or one that handled *.tar.gz whilst also handling *.bz2 more
effectively.

Erica Eshoo

I still cannot extract a compressed file to a folder of the
same name without manually putting in the name
of the folder (if using the GUI). I can with Winzip.

At the risk of belaboring the point, IZArc seems to do exactly what one
would want.

1) You double click on a compressed file
2) Unless you change something manually, it automatically extracts to a
folder inside the current folder with the same name as the file being
extracted, sans the "zip" extension, of course.
3) Then it opens up the explorer window inside that folder

No typing - just clicking.
Isn't that exactly what you'd want it to do?

Erica Eshoo

IZArc is the first compression archiver I have ever
seen that makes a compressed archive that is larger than the original
file and doesn't even include a recovery record, CRC check, et
cetera.

Oh my. Is that true?
Luckily I never use it to compress - only to decompress (and for that it
works wonderfully). But, what good is compression if it doesn't compress?

How do you know it creates a larger compressed file than the original?

So just to be clear... IZArc cannot create RAR files -- unless you say
it can based on the fact it can name a file with a *.rar extension.

If that is true, then I agree. A rar file should be whatever a rar file is
and not just a zip file with a rar extension. That's pretty sly to say it
creates rar files if what you say is true.

Can anyone else confirm IZArc creates rar files merely by renaming zip
files?

meow2222

Erica said:
Oh my. Is that true?
Luckily I never use it to compress - only to decompress (and for that it
works wonderfully). But, what good is compression if it doesn't compress?

Any compressor will do this if you tell it to compress an
uncompressable file into a self extracting format. It has to add the
self-extract code.

NT

-Lost

Response from Erica Eshoo said:
Oh my. Is that true?

I first tested on a few files that could not be compressed further
and in those cases it added to the overall size. A smarter utility
would have simply archived without adding more data.
Luckily I never use it to compress - only to decompress (and for
that it works wonderfully). But, what good is compression if it
doesn't compress?

Exactly. In the above cases it should have archived instead of tried
to compress.
How do you know it creates a larger compressed file than the
original?

By comparing the overall byte size of the files and the resulting
compressed archive. In the case of several images (4 if I remember
correctly) it added 17KB to the size. On an entire directory of
images (200+ I believe) it added almost 8 megabytes.

It was able to compress data that could be compressed but it did it
with generic ZIP compression -- not RAR.
If that is true, then I agree. A rar file should be whatever a rar
file is and not just a zip file with a rar extension. That's
pretty sly to say it creates rar files if what you say is true.

In fairness, I don't see anywhere where it says it CAN create RAR's.
Only that it supports them which is fair to say since it can
decompress them (with the aid of RAR Lab's UnRAR DLL).
Can anyone else confirm IZArc creates rar files merely by renaming
zip files?

To avoid confusion (and possible flames), I do not know if its EXACT
method is to create a ZIP then rename it to RAR -- I am saying that
it creates a generic ZIP file with a RAR extension.

Not too much difference but there are those who would argue
semantics.

One way you can verify this yourself is by creating a RAR file and
then actually using WinRAR to create a RAR file.

You'll notice that IZArc's RAR has the header "PK" whereas the true
RAR file will have the header "Rar!"

-Lost

Response from (e-mail address removed):
Any compressor will do this if you tell it to compress an
uncompressable file into a self extracting format. It has to add
the self-extract code.

And so the issue is not confused, I did not create a self-extracting
archive. I am talking about a plain old vanilla compressed archive
(which is what I said initially).

Also, in my tests and experience the "self extract code" does not
increase simply because the size of the files being compressed
increases.

throwitout

@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net:

[snip]
May I ask:
What does either WinRar or WinZip payware do that IZArc freeware doesn't?

I thought that WinRAR was the only software that could create rar archives.
But I could be wrong.

True. However Tugzip (which has full support of Zip, 7-zip, etc)
includes unrar support. And you can drop in rar.exe from a rar
installation and get compression support. The shareware WinRAR will
work, and it won't give any nag screens. Of course this is all
strictly hypothetical since using any part of WinRAR past the 30 day
trial is against the agreement.

Susan Bugher

I don't think so. IIRC, you can only get the latest bloatware.

Older versions are available from various sources. . .

Program: PGP Freeware (was Pretty Good Privacy) (PGP)
Company: PGP Corporation
Author: Phil Zimmermann (original author)
Ware: (Liteware) (free for personal use/ non-commercial use) LFW (v 8.1)
last version without bundlng
http://www.izmiran.ru/pub/windows/security/PGP810-PF-W.zip
This PGP, IIRC, phones home constantly, installs services that run all the
time, has 50% of the functionality turned off unless you pay, etc.

That's why I gave up on PGP.

Maybe someone who knows more than I can set the record straight.

Is PGP nowadays bloatware, baitnswitchware, or freeware?

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware