New Article! - Free Old Games for Your New PC

Reaction score
Why not get those old diskettes out from their dusty old boxes, filled with nostalgia and get installing! Don't panic if you haven't kept the old disks, they're broken or you can't find your favourite - Abandonware is here to save you. Games get the title of abanonware when they are no longer published or discontinued. This means they are free to copy, distribute and download.

In this guide I'm going to show you how to get your old DOS/3.1/Win95 games working on your newer Win2000/XP machine and how to 'emulate' them if needed. I'm also going to show you where you can find and download your favourite old games for free.

<center> </center>

Make sure you read the in-depth article: here

Reaction score
All questions about any issue raised by this guide and any general feedback will be taken in this thread. :)

Reaction score
I was just wondering.. I recently tried playing Transport Tycoon without much luck. I am sure i can get it working by using your guide, but how about the sound? I have an A7N8X mobo with onboard sound, how should i set my sound to get it to work in for example Transport Tycoon?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Good article Matt. My copy of System Shock 2 recently went awol on me for some reason, it had been sitting in a box for a while, wouldn't load, so I d/l a copy from Abandonware.

Which was kind of handy, cos you can't buy it in the shops anymore.

Also had a copy of Chuckee Egg for a while now from there, takes me back to my BBC/Acorn days :D

Both run fine in Win XP as well.

Good stuff :)

Reaction score
Originally posted by mekmarak
Can someone suggest me solutions for increasing monitor refresh rate in DOS for games?

What problems are the low refresh rates causing?

Are you just running the game straight-off, or are you using an emulator such as DOSBox?

Reaction score
Originally posted by MoNKeY05
I was just wondering.. I recently tried playing Transport Tycoon without much luck. I am sure i can get it working by using your guide, but how about the sound? I have an A7N8X mobo with onboard sound, how should i set my sound to get it to work in for example Transport Tycoon?

Sorry, i missed this question.

The quickest way would probably to use a program called VDM Sound, you can read about it and get it here: http://ntvdm.cjb.net/

Reaction score
I found a board to use that uses a Pentium1.4GHz processor and has onboard sound. Since I cannot afford to buy a sound card at the present time, I would like to know if there is a dos sound driver I can use to get sound with my board.

In Devman, my devices in sound are:

Sound, video and game controllers
Gameport Joystick
MPU-401 Compatible
VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller (WDM)

I have sound for a little while, but after a given time I lose the sound and have to restart my pc to get the sound back again, just to have to do it again and again and again.

I was wondering if there is a dos sound driver that I can install to work on my games.

One example is a PC Zelda game I am playing, after a given time the sound quits. In Eye of the Beholder 1 and 2, I can't get the sound to work at all. I tried to use an emulator for Super Nintendo and the sound works at first choppy, but then here again after a giver time the sound quits. A given time from 10 minutes to a half an hour.

I had this trouble with another computer, but thought it was computer specific and now I believe it has to do with the WDM drivers.

Right now I am using a P4VXASD motherboard with only on board sound and the only pci card I use is a modem. I use Windows 98SE operating system.

Thanks, daljaxon

Reaction score
Thanks Matt,

Forgive me, I checked out the page earlier when reading your posts here and seen that it was aimed at Win 2000 and newer. I overlooked the link to Win98 and below, which I saw in going back this time. I'll try it out and see if this does indeed help with my machine.

Thanks again,
daljaxon

Ask a Question