Networking problem - can ping through with IP addresses but not domain names

G

Hello everyone -

I have a Windows XP computer on a home network. It will not access domain names on the internet but will ping through to other points on the internet (via the command line prompt) using IP addresses (ie, "yahoo.com" times out but 66.218.71.198 pings through and gets responses just fine). The same prompt on IE yields nothing but a DNS error screen.

1. When I try to use DHCP to config the computer, it comes back with a bogus address and a SNM of 255.255.0.0. There is no default gateway shown (all response to ipconfig command).
2. When I hardcode in the IP, SNM, default gateway, and DNS servers, I can get to the above stated problem of being able to ping out on IP addresses but not domain names.

My guess is that somehow, some type of firewall functionality has become enabled in XP. I have no idea how, nor any idea how to disable it. At this point, I disabled McAfee and most other security and it doesn't help.

Anyone have any ideas?

Mike

G

Hi,

It sound slike your machine is not getting any DNS entries
(used for resolving names to I.P adresss). How does your
second machine get an I.P address ?

Normally, you have one machine connected to the internet
(via cable, ADSL, modem ..) and the network card (or
modem) gets an I.P address from your Internet service
provider.

Type 'IPCONFIG /ALL' from a DOS window and you should see
valid entries for I.P address, Gateway, DNS ....

Your second home machine will either get it's I.P address
from a home networking piece of kit (like a wireless
router) or from your main PC via ICS (Internet connection
sharing).

What happens when you type 'IPCONFIG /RENEW' ?
Have you looked in the System eventlog ? (type 'eventvwr'
from Run box)

Please give more details on how your second PC is
connected.

Regards,

Tim
-----Original Message-----
Hello everyone -

I have a Windows XP computer on a home network. It will
not access domain names on the internet but will ping
through to other points on the internet (via the command
line prompt) using IP addresses (ie, "yahoo.com" times out
but 66.218.71.198 pings through and gets responses just
fine). The same prompt on IE yields nothing but a DNS
error screen.
1. When I try to use DHCP to config the computer, it
comes back with a bogus address and a SNM of 255.255.0.0.
There is no default gateway shown (all response to
ipconfig command).
2. When I hardcode in the IP, SNM, default gateway, and
DNS servers, I can get to the above stated problem of
being able to ping out on IP addresses but not domain
names.
My guess is that somehow, some type of firewall
functionality has become enabled in XP. I have no idea
how, nor any idea how to disable it. At this point, I
disabled McAfee and most other security and it doesn't
help.

G

Tim -

The network config is a Covad router (I think it's Netgear - 8 port ethernet to DSL) on an IDSL line. All machines hook independently into the router. The second and third PCs are Win98 and Win2K respectively and are both behind a hub in my office. Both use DHCP and have the same default configurations I ordinarily use on the upstairs machine. I have the capability for 6 IP addresses (including the router) or so my ISP tells me.

The home gateway router also serves as the DHCP server - both have the same IP address of 192.168.1.1 (from the ipconfig /all). On the working machines, it shows DHCP as enabled and an IP address of 192.168.1.100. Everything is on autodetect, and everything works fine (typing this mail on it). I can take my lap top (3rd machine) up and down at will.

The upstairs machine in question will ping when I hardcode in an IP address of 192.168.1.103, a SNM of 255.255.255.0, and a gateway of 192.168.1.1. I can see the machine from this machine, and I can see that machine from this machine (via ping). When I reset the networking options to "find IP address automatically", ipconfig /all comes back at me with an IP address of 169.254.55.17, a SNM of 255.255.0.0, and _no_ gateway ("default gateway" = blank). DNS servers are the same and the ones my ISP gave me. The machine now will not ping anything including the old gateway address - simply times out. When I put back in the hardcoded gateway, IP address, and SNM of 255.255.255.0, I go straight back to where I can ping any IP address on the internet but the domains will not return a ping.

What am I looking for in the event viewer? There are three different logs there with a bunch of various system events.

Thx,

Mike

Ask a Question