Networking 2 computers with XP Home

G

Hi all,

I'm trying to connect 2 computers together. Both computers have XP home installed. I ran the home netwrok wizard on both machines and both machines can see each other in My Network places. But thats as far as it goes. when I try to Access Comp B from Comp A I get:

"\\Comp B is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon at this computer. "

Vice Versa I get:

"\\Comp A is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Access denied."

Both computers can acces the internet through a linksys Router. And Both computers can Ping each other through Command prompt.

- I've got TCP/IP setup correctly on both machines. And even installed NetBEUI per a suggestion I read on the internet.
- I've tried adding a user on both machines with the exact same username and password as per internet suggestion.
- Another suggestion mentioned a Local security settings option in Admin tools but I found no such thing and assumed it must be an XP Pro thing.
- I recently reformatted each computer to clear any bad settings that I wasn;t able to find.

There are a bunch of things that I have done to fix this issue but I don;t remeber them all so bear with me. If anyone has a suggestion that might fix the issue please let me know. I really have no idea what is going on.

Thanks in Advance

J

Jerry

Did you remember to turn off ICF (Internet Connection Firewall) on both
systems?

Net clueless said:
Hi all,

I'm trying to connect 2 computers together. Both computers have XP home
installed. I ran the home netwrok wizard on both machines and both machines
can see each other in My Network places. But thats as far as it goes. when
I try to Access Comp B from Comp A I get:
"\\Comp B is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if
you have access permissions.
Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon at this computer. "

Vice Versa I get:

"\\Comp A is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
Access denied."

Both computers can acces the internet through a linksys Router. And Both
computers can Ping each other through Command prompt.
- I've got TCP/IP setup correctly on both machines. And even installed
NetBEUI per a suggestion I read on the internet.
- I've tried adding a user on both machines with the exact same username
and password as per internet suggestion.
- Another suggestion mentioned a Local security settings option in Admin
tools but I found no such thing and assumed it must be an XP Pro thing.
- I recently reformatted each computer to clear any bad settings that I wasn;t able to find.

There are a bunch of things that I have done to fix this issue but I don;t
remeber them all so bear with me. If anyone has a suggestion that might fix
the issue please let me know. I really have no idea what is going on.

C

Chuck

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 13:58:01 -0700, Net clueless <Net
Hi all,

I'm trying to connect 2 computers together. Both computers have XP home installed. I ran the home netwrok wizard on both machines and both machines can see each other in My Network places. But thats as far as it goes. when I try to Access Comp B from Comp A I get:

"\\Comp B is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Vice Versa I get:

"\\Comp A is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Access denied."

Both computers can acces the internet through a linksys Router. And Both computers can Ping each other through Command prompt.

- I've got TCP/IP setup correctly on both machines. And even installed NetBEUI per a suggestion I read on the internet.
- I've tried adding a user on both machines with the exact same username and password as per internet suggestion.
- Another suggestion mentioned a Local security settings option in Admin tools but I found no such thing and assumed it must be an XP Pro thing.

There are a bunch of things that I have done to fix this issue but I don;t remeber them all so bear with me. If anyone has a suggestion that might fix the issue please let me know. I really have no idea what is going on.

Thanks in Advance

Clueless,

XP Home uses Simple File Sharing, which uses the Guest account for network
access. Make sure that the Guest account is enabled, thru Local User Manager
(Start - Run - "lusrmgr.msc"), on each computer.

NetBIOS Over TCP/IP is the correct protocol to use. All NetBEUI will do is
waste network resources and cpu cycles.

The common user on both computers is useless for Simple File Sharing.
<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...db-aef8-4bef-925e-7ac9be791028&DisplayLang=en>

Cheers,

Chuck
Paranoia comes from experience - and is not necessarily a bad thing.

G

Yes. ICF is disabled on both machines.

Jerry said:
Did you remember to turn off ICF (Internet Connection Firewall) on both
systems?

installed. I ran the home netwrok wizard on both machines and both machines
can see each other in My Network places. But thats as far as it goes. when
I try to Access Comp B from Comp A I get:
computers can Ping each other through Command prompt.
NetBEUI per a suggestion I read on the internet.
and password as per internet suggestion.
tools but I found no such thing and assumed it must be an XP Pro thing.
remeber them all so bear with me. If anyone has a suggestion that might fix
the issue please let me know. I really have no idea what is going on.

G

Hello chuck,

I have guests accounts on both systems active at the moment. When I enter lusrmgr.msc, all I get is this message:

"This computer is running Windows XP Home Edition. This snapin may not be used with that version of windows. To manage user accounts for this computer, use the User Accounts tool in the Control Panel"

There are no other options to configure.

I added NetBeui because someone on another forum said it worked for them. I really didn't think it would but I tried it anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion chuck.

G

Clueless, i am also in the same situation as you. However i have tried the same steps as you and other steps as allowed with windows xp professional. On our home network that doesnt work my computer and the other comuter return positve pings when each computer is pinged. we can also play network games, and the other computer cannot access my shares but i can access his shares. does anyone know how to solve this problem. thanks for you help

G

to everyone on this issue, i am in your gang, i am experiencing the exact same problem and have tried all the same suggestions. we would appreciate any assistance! im on XP pro on all my pcs, one main DT, one remote DT and two notebooks.
thanks

C

Chuck

Clueless, i am also in the same situation as you. However i have tried the same steps as you and other steps as allowed with windows xp professional. On our home network that doesnt work my computer and the other comuter return positve pings when each computer is pinged. we can also play network games, and the other computer cannot access my shares but i can access his shares. does anyone know how to solve this problem. thanks for you help

Rhys,

Clueless is running XP Home, and you state you have XP Pro. You and Clueless
are NOT in the same situation. XP Home and Pro use totally different file
sharing methodology.
<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...db-aef8-4bef-925e-7ac9be791028&DisplayLang=en>

By any chance, are you using Simple File Sharing, with XP Pro?

Do yourself a favor, and start a new thread, with a different title. Your
problem may be totally different. Give the experts here a chance.

Cheers,
Chuck

C

Chuck

to everyone on this issue, i am in your gang, i am experiencing the exact same problem and have tried all the same suggestions. we would appreciate any assistance! im on XP pro on all my pcs, one main DT, one remote DT and two notebooks.
thanks

There are so many ways for file sharing to go wrong.

Give the experts here a chance. Do yourself a favor, and start a new thread,
with a different title.

State exactly what hardware, and software, is on each computer. Describe
exactly what is wrong.

Cheers,
Chuck

C

Chuck

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 15:11:02 -0700, Net Clueless <Net
Hello chuck,

I have guests accounts on both systems active at the moment. When I enter lusrmgr.msc, all I get is this message:

"This computer is running Windows XP Home Edition. This snapin may not be used with that version of windows. To manage user accounts for this computer, use the User Accounts tool in the Control Panel"

There are no other options to configure.

I added NetBeui because someone on another forum said it worked for them. I really didn't think it would but I tried it anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion chuck.

Clueless,

File sharing under XP Home is not terribly complicated.
With simple file sharing, the act of enabling file sharing on a folder and
specifying the type of access is simplified to the following choices:
" Whether to enable sharing for the folder
" The name of the share
" Whether to allow network users to change files in the folder

You stated separately that you disabled ICF. Are you running any third party
firewall anywhere?

"Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon" says that
your account is disabled from local logon. Are you sure that Guest is enabled,
on both computers?

Please provide ipconfig information for each computer.
Start - Run - "cmd". Type "ipconfig /all >c:\ipconfig.txt" into the command
window - Open c:\ipconfig.txt in Notepad, copy and paste into your next post.

Cheers,
Chuck

Ask a Question