From: "WG" <[email protected]>
Subject: Network printers same all users
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 12:04:05 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.printing

On XP and Windows 2000 workstations I want the default
network printer to be set for all users. Used the Copy To
feature under Profiles to copy the setttings to Default
User and tried All Users but printer still does not show
up when the new user logs in. Tried login script but does
not show up in Printers panel either.
---

WG,

Network printers are per user and stored in the the user's profile. Local printers are per machine and stored in the System
hive. You need to setup the printer as a local printer but have it redirected to the network share. This can be done one of
two ways.

You can install a local printer on LPT2 and then from a Command Prompt you could run the following command to map
LPT2 to the printer share and make it persistent.

net use lpt2 \\<server name>\<print share name> /p:y

Or we can install a local printer, tell it we want to create a new Local Port and when it askes us to name the port call it

\\<server name>\<print share name>

Since the system will treat these as local printers they will be per machine and will show for all users.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.