network monitor

G

I cannot get network monitor on either of my two 2k servers to capture anything. Network monitor driver is installed. These computers are in my basement hooked up together just for training purposes. When I enter network monitor after restarting or after reinstalling network monitor, I get asked to specify my network. I don't recall the exact message, but then I can select either local or one of two mac addresses. One of the mac addresses is the local mac address and the other is not familiar; it's not my other server's mac address. Wether I select local, Mac address for the server, or by pass the question, I collect no frames no matter what. Why can't I collect frames? Is it an issue with one of or both of the NIC's?Please Help, I will supply more info as needed.

S

Steven L Umbach

I know what you are talking about. Did you try the other one to see if it
orks?? --- Steve

dan said:
I cannot get network monitor on either of my two 2k servers to capture anything.
Network monitor driver is installed. These computers are in my basement hooked up
together just for training purposes. When I enter network monitor after restarting
or after reinstalling network monitor, I get asked to specify my network. I don't
recall the exact message, but then I can select either local or one of two mac
addresses. One of the mac addresses is the local mac address and the other is not
familiar; it's not my other server's mac address. Wether I select local, Mac address
for the server, or by pass the question, I collect no frames no matter what. Why
can't I collect frames? Is it an issue with one of or both of the NIC's?Please Help,
I will supply more info as needed.

R

Rob Elder, MVP-Networking

You should choose the address of your local NIC. Did you start the capture?

G

yes I did starting capturing packet several times and it never worked (for days on end). I finaly decided that maybe I should download a service pack, so I hooked one of the servers up to the cable modem connection, and packet started being captured . Now I have no problems capturinging frames - in any situation from that particular server. I think this is very strange!!!!!

Ask a Question