Network goes down after 20 minutes

Txl

Hello,

I have a fixed IP network, no DHCP from the computers or the DSL modem/router.

After 20 minutes more or less the network goes down, I can no longer ping other machines, see them or ping the router and acces internet.

If i disable the network connection I cannot reactivate it, and if i try to repair it it tells me that it is unable to register the DNS adress (it is set to be 192.168.0.1 which is my router's IP).

What could I check ?

Thanks

Check the router. I have had routers that automatically disconnected after
some period of inactivity. Did not make sense, but they had a timeout for
some reason. If it is as predictable as 20 minutes each time, then this could
be the issue.

Malke

Nate said:
Check the router. I have had routers that automatically disconnected
after some period of inactivity. Did not make sense, but they had a
timeout for some reason. If it is as predictable as 20 minutes each
time, then this could be the issue.

In addition to what Nate suggested, look at your network device's
Properties from Device Manager. On the Power Management tab, uncheck
the box that says, "Allow Windows to turn off this device when not in
use". Also, did this connection ever work correctly? If so, what
changed? If the power management adjustments don't help, perhaps you
are having a hardware overheating problem. Open the computer and see
how hot everything is and if fans are working correctly. Swap in a
known-working NIC. If that solves the issue, you know your original NIC
is dying.

Malke

Overheating is a real possibility. Some of the Router support groups are
full of sad tales about overheating, even showing how some folks have cut
holes in their router cases and stuck on fanbs. Results look pretty comical
- the fan may be almost as big as the router - but they claim it worked.

jpmwizard

Malke

jpmwizard said:
Overheating is a real possibility. Some of the Router support groups
are full of sad tales about overheating, even showing how some folks
have cut
holes in their router cases and stuck on fanbs. Results look pretty
comical - the fan may be almost as big as the router - but they claim
it worked.

Well, that may be but I'm referring to the network adapter card in the
computer, not anything in the router hardware. If the OP's computer is
overheating or the NIC is bad, swapping in a new NIC ($20usd or less)
is the easiest solution.

Malke

Amanda Wang [MSFT]

Hello,

Appreciate for all your helpful sharing. You can refer and test all these
useful suggestions.

Please help me to confirm the issue:

1. I want to know if the issue will happen everytime after you reboot the
computer and wait for 20 minites. Can the issue be reproduced?

2. What's the network environment? Does the other computers in your
network can work properly through the router?

3. Will it return to normal after restarting?

If so, you also can check if it is related some third-party applications,
spyware or virus which may be block the network connection. You can
perform the following steps to isolate the issue:

Step 1: Clean Boot

Please follow this suggestion to narrow down this problem:

1. Click Start, click Run, and then in the Open box, type "MSCONFIG"
(without the quotation marks). Click OK.

2. In the System Configuration Utility (MSConfig) window, click to select
the Selective Startup button.

3. Click to clear the check mark from the "Load startup items" below
Selective Startup.

4. Click the Services tab, click to check the "Hide All Microsoft Services"
box, and remove all the check marks from the remained Non-Microsoft
Services. *note that please make sure that you do not uncheck the Microsoft
services.

5. Click OK to close the MSConfig window. Click Yes when you are asked to
restart your computer in order to enable the changes.

6. After restarting, please check whether this issue will reoccur.

If this issue does NOT reoccur following the Selective Startup, please
continue these steps to find the exact cause:

1. Click Start, click Run, in the Open box type "MSCONFIG" (without the
quotation marks), and click OK.

2. In the System Configuration Utility (MSConfig) window, click the Startup
tab or the Services tab.

3. Add one check mark at a time to the entries under the Startup tab or the
Services tab, and then restart each time to see if the additional entry
reproduces the original problem.

Step 2: Boot in Safe Mode with network.

I suggest we restart the computer in the Safe Mode to see if the problem
also occurs in the mode which loads a minimal protected-mode configuration,
disabling Windows device drivers and using the standard VGA display
adapter.

1. Restart the computer.

2. Keep press F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.

3. Choose the Safe Mode with network, and press Enter.

Note: In the Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and
perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary.

Step 3: AntiSpyware

Download and install AntiSpyware to check the system:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-
A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en

For more information about AntiSpyware:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/default.mspx