Network drops out

• Thread starter Steve Winograd [MVP]
  • Start date
S

Steve Winograd [MVP]

"drdug" said:
I have a US Robotics wireless router and using XP Pro with SP2. I recently set up this network in a new apartment and periodically I lose the connection to the network. The router is very close to the PC (about 10 feet) and I always get good signal, so it's not like it's losing the signal. If I go and cut the power to the router and turn it back on, the computer picks up the router and it works for a while.

I had the same hardware at the old house, except the PC was connected to the router physically. Here I have a Zyxel wireless PCI card which I put in the PC recently. Any ideas? Just a sucky PCI card?
Thanks for your help

Two possible fixes:

1. Disable the network card setting that lets the system turn it off
to save power.

2. Disable 802.1x authentication.
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)

Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group
for everyone to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions
addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

R

Rich Bell

Do you have another wireless device near the system that wasn't there at the old location? Perhaps there is a another wireless router near you that is interfering with your signal. Try using a different channel.
I have a US Robotics wireless router and using XP Pro with SP2. I recently set up this network in a new apartment and periodically I lose the connection to the network. The router is very close to the PC (about 10 feet) and I always get good signal, so it's not like it's losing the signal. If I go and cut the power to the router and turn it back on, the computer picks up the router and it works for a while.

I had the same hardware at the old house, except the PC was connected to the router physically. Here I have a Zyxel wireless PCI card which I put in the PC recently. Any ideas? Just a sucky PCI card?
Thanks for your help

D

drdug

Thanks for your help

S

Steve Winograd [MVP]

"drdug" said:
Thanks for the reply.
Forgive my ignorance, but I looked in device manager, and couldn't find
anything about power saving on the network card....is this setting in the
CMOS? The 802.11x authentication was already disabled. I should mention
that when it loses the wireless router, it doesn't show up at all in the
wireless network connection box.

In Device Manager, expand the "Network adapters" section, double-click
the wireless adapter, and look for power management settings. They
might be on the Advanced tab or a special power tab.
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)

Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group
for everyone to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions
addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

D

drdug

Thanks for the reply.
Forgive my ignorance, but I looked in device manager, and couldn't find
anything about power saving on the network card....is this setting in the
CMOS? The 802.11x authentication was already disabled. I should mention
that when it loses the wireless router, it doesn't show up at all in the
wireless network connection box.

D

drdug

Thanks for the reply.

I'm in an apartment building now and I was in a house before. The first night I hooked everything up my computer found 3 networks including mine, all with good or very good signal strength. I also didn't mention that the wireless card is 802.11g and the router is 802.11b. Would this affect anything?

Do you have another wireless device near the system that wasn't there at the old location? Perhaps there is a another wireless router near you that is interfering with your signal. Try using a different channel.

Thanks for your help

Ask a Question