    Is there a way to get rid of unused (old config) network connections?
    Do they use any resources ?

    There does not appear to be a way to delete them.

    RB, Mar 11, 2010

  2. RB

    LD55ZRA Guest

    If you can see anything in "My Network Places" then YES you can delete them
    by using the DELETE button on your keyboard.

    These don't use any resources so don't worry if you can't delete them.

    Let us know if this solution worked.

    hth

    LD55ZRA, Mar 11, 2010

  3. RB

    RB Guest

    No the Delete option is grayed out. I tired booting to Admin safe mode with
    no networking but then the connectiions do not show up at all.
    Actually I'm explaining two scenarios here so I will cover the original (and
    current one) first. In it's default fresh install scenario (a Gateway laptop) there
    appears to be 3 network hardware on the machine. One is the hardwire ethernet
    port, with properties of Marvell Yukon 88E8038 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller.
    The other is the wireless with properties of Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter.
    And the third one which appears to be another hardwire card with properties of
    1394 Net Adapter. The each show having their own drivers.
    For some time I have only had the wireless Enabled, the other two have been
    disabled. The delete option on all three is grayed out, I surmise since these are
    actual hardware representations.
    But in my second scenario I was experimenting with connections to try and solve
    some recent issues of some lan nodes not showing up. Well the connection I
    created did not solve the issue so I wanted to delete it and I had the same problem.
    So I restored my image backup to get back to my original (current) setup.
    That is pretty much it. Got any ideas or info ?

    RB, Mar 11, 2010
  4. Hi
    The Marvell Yukon 88E8038 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller, and the Hardwire
    card with properties of
    1394 Net Adapter, are on the motherboard and are installed by default. If
    you want, you can disable them in the Device Manger. There is Nothing to
    delete and if nothing is plugged into them they Do Nothing. I.e., ignore
    them.
    As for the Wireless, you indicates two entries ,I do not know what to say
    since you did not further explained what in reality you have in the
    computer.
    If you have two Wireless cards it is Normal. If you have only one card
    uninstall the Ghost one from the Device Manager.
    http://www.ezlan.net/network/GhostNIC.jpg
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Mar 11, 2010