network connection precedence/order

G

My IBM Thinkpad has two ethernet adapters, a 1Gbs, and an 802.11a/b/g wireless. When my laptop is docked, I'd like my Internet apps to use the "hard line" as opposed to the wireless so I can leverage the higher throughput. Currently, the only way I'm guaranteed to use the higher speed connection is to disable the wireless.

Is there any way to specify the order in which these network connections are selected by an app? i.e. go to the 1Gbs first, if not available then use the wireless. I'd rather not use the MS Internet Firewall feature of XP as it seems to impact performance.

Any tips appreciated.

C

Chuck

My IBM Thinkpad has two ethernet adapters, a 1Gbs, and an 802.11a/b/g wireless. When my laptop is docked, I'd like my Internet apps to use the "hard line" as opposed to the wireless so I can leverage the higher throughput. Currently, the only way I'm guaranteed to use the higher speed connection is to disable the wireless.

Is there any way to specify the order in which these network connections are selected by an app? i.e. go to the 1Gbs first, if not available then use the wireless. I'd rather not use the MS Internet Firewall feature of XP as it seems to impact performance.

Any tips appreciated.

Under Properties for each network connection, Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
Properties, Advanced, in the IP Settings tab, you have the Metrics setting at
the bottom. It's probably set on Automatic for each connection.

Untick Automatic for each, and give the preferred connection a lower metric, say
"1", and the less preferred connection a "2".

Cheers,
Chuck
Paranoia comes from experience - and is not necessarily a bad thing.

Ask a Question