network cards

Reaction score
Hi all

I have two computers that are located 3 floors apart in the house.

I originally had just regular internet 52kbps connection before but now I'm updating (finally) to broadband. I am getting an adsl modem fitted to one of the PC's (this PC also has a regular network card in it).

But I have no clue about how I'm going to get the other computer (the one without the adsl modem) connected to broadband. It doesn't have any type of network card fitted to it either.

Can anyone give me any cheap suggestions about what I should buy and do????

I'm a bit confused when it comes to trying to network computers. The only thing I know is that I don't want it to involve any super long cables though.

Reaction score
Proposed Solution:

if you don't want wires then why not go wireless, the only downside is that it not as fast as wired.

one thing to remember about wireless networks is the standards it's important to make sure that your wireless devices are compatable with one another:

The wireless standards

IEEE 802.11a: 22Mbps, compatable with 802.11g but not 802.11b

IEEE 802.11b: 11Mbps, compatable with 802.11g but not 802.11a

IEEE 802.11g: 54Mbps, compatable with 802.11a & 802.11b

Personally i'd stay away from the "A" standard, go for "B" if you want to keep money in mind and not too bothered about moving large files from one pc to another on the network. If money isn't so much of a problem go for 802.11g, fastest of the lot and because it's the latest wireless standard you can rest assured that it'll reasonably future proof.

Theres two ways that you could share your broadband connection:

(1) use a wireless router and two wireless adapters.

(2) just use two wireless adapters.

the advantage to the first option is that the PC that has the Broadband connection wouldn't need to be turned on when the other PC requires internet access. the advantage to the second option is it's cheaper that's all, i'd recommend using a router and maybe even connecting your downstairs PC to the router using the network card already installed and then you'd only need one wireless adapter.

Summary:

If your going to go wireless then go for the 802.11g standard, buy a router and two wireless network adapters. If your running XP/2K on both these machines then setup will be relatively easy.

The other option is to have a wired network but this would include miles of cables and you said you didn't want it.

Hope this helps, i confused myself while writing this if i've confused you as well give me a shout and i'll try and explain it better.

Regards

James

Reaction score
MojoUK's responce (PM'd to me)

I'll take up your offer of more help please!
Hi

Thanks for replying to my message. You've cleared a few things up for me, thanks for offering to give more advice....

I have decided to go for the wireless option with both PC's able to connect to broadband, even when one PC is turned off.

I already have a standard network card in one of the PC's. Does it mean I'll have to take it out and put a wireless network card in or can I just add a wireless network card to the PC?

Can I use an IEEE 802.11g on both PC's ?? This is a wireless network card, right? I assume this is the quickest card?

Do I need to put a wireless router on just one of the PC's? Where does it go? Does it go into the PCI socket underneath the network card PCI socket ?? Or does it have an external wire connection with one of the wireless network cards or ADSL modem.

Thanks for your help
Fi

Reaction score
so many questions, here we go.

first of all, the PC that already has the network card, you can leave this in, you can do this two ways, first you can connect the PC with network card already installed direct to the router using a cable, then just add an internal PCI wireless network card to PC with out a current network card, this way all you need is one wireless network adapter and a router.

the router that you need (a router is a little box that handles traffic on your network) anyway the router you'll need will have to be able to support a DSL connection, wired ethernet cable and have an integrated wireless adapter.

And yes 802.11g is the fastest standard.

Ok and the equipment you'll need...

The router which will connect to your ADSL modem and your PC with the network card already installed.

Netgear DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Router & Firewall

Can be found at the link below...
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=4934&GroupID=291

And the Wireless network adapter for the other PC,

Netgear WG311 54Mb Wireless PCI Card

Can be found at the link below...
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=4911&GroupID=293

So basically everything runs through the router, which also has an integrated hardware firewall which is always a nice extra for security.

The above hardware is just an example, not a bad setup actually but you find find these items cheaper else where. but i really can't be arsed going shopping for bargains now. oh and the prices, i did say that 802.11g is the most expensive, but worth it in my opinion.

Again if you need anything else explaining then gimmie a shout.

Regards

James

Reaction score
crystal clear now

Thanks. I can do the shopping around for the items now that I know what I'm looking for.

Ta very much!!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Wow, you certainly know your stuff Techy! :)

I used to use wireless networking to share a connection between 2 PCs at home, but I opted for a super-cheap option of 2 PCI wireless cards (about £15 each from Ebuyer), which although slower, were perfectly adequate for the Internet, document sharing and network games. I just used the 2 cards in ad-hoc mode (a direct connection between the two), and plugged the ADSL modem into the main computer (which must be on for the 2nd PC to use the connection).

Reaction score
Oh I forgot. Just one more question.....

If no. 1) PC has

- an ADSL modem, regular network card (non-wireless) and ADSL router

and no. 2) PC has

- a wireless network card

then this will mean that no. 2) PC cannot use broadband unless no. 1) PC is switched on. Is this right??

If this is right, then how can I have it so that no. 2) PC can run broadband independently?

I can imagine that the only solution would involve having 2 identical adsl modems. Any other options?

Will the solution be worth the expense?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The solution that Techy proposed would worth on both PCs independently - and would not require one to be on to use the other.

Reaction score
by using the router only the PC your using need to be turned on.

the router is a standalone it doesn't need a connection to a pc to operate. you could be in the garden with a laptop with all the other PC's turned off and you'd still be able to go online.

Get it?

James

Reaction score
what i maybe didn't explain very vey is that your ADSL modem connects via your router.

Reaction score
I have to say that it's been difficult to find an ADSL wireless router - the one that's 802.11g, 54 mpbs - for cheap.

The best I've done so far is a combo buy on ebuyer which includes:

Linksys Wireless 54mbps PCI Adapter PC Card(£37.59 inc VAT)
and
Linksys Wireless-G 54mbps Broadband Router(£66.55 inc VAT)
Total price £110, incl VAT + p&p

If anyone knows of anywhere cheaper then please post it. I think this is a pretty decent buy though as I've seen stuff for ALOT dearer.
This is working out much more expensive than I initially thought.
Thanks for all your input!!

Reaction score
tell you what mojo, get a few beers in and a couple of your mates round, and set up a wired network, much cheaper. or just buy a drill and go straight up. i did say it would be pricey!

:)

Reaction score
Mmmmm. Well I'm going to need a few beers either way, after spending all that cash...

anyway, at least I know all my options now........mojo signing off.........

Reaction score
Greetings!

I've cable modem, shared by an ethernet 10/100 router to desktop pc, and laptop.
Can I use this to network the two?

Dave

Last edited:

Ask a Question