Netmeeting Replacement

Gustavo Villaran

Hi, which program can replace netmeeting in Win XP?

i have tried to install netmeeting 3.0 on XP but says that the program cant
be installed on XP

Thanks

Carey Frisch [MVP]

NetMeeting is already installed in Windows XP.

Go to Start > Run and type: CONF , and hit enter
to launch NetMeeting.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Gustavo Villaran" wrote:

| Hi, which program can replace netmeeting in Win XP?
|
| i have tried to install netmeeting 3.0 on XP but says that the program cant
| be installed on XP
|
| Thanks

John Barnett MVP

netmeeting already exists in XP. Unfortunately, it isn't visible on the
start menu.
1/ Click start button
2/ from start menu click run
3/ in the run dialogue box type 'conf' (without the quotes)
4/ press ok
5/ Netmeeting setup should now run

Netmeeting isn't really all that good now. Most online directories have
disappeared and, of those that still exist, seem to be full of members
offering sexual favours. I certainly wouldn't let the kids anywhere near
netmeeting.
The best option is MSN Messenger. At least with messenger you only get calls
from people you have allowed to put your email address in your contact list.
With netmeeting, as soon as you log on to a directory, anybody can call you.
You haven't a clue who is on the other end or what anatomical parts you are
likely to see when you open the video screen.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

The information in this post is supplied "as is". No warranty of any kind,
either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy,
reliability or content of this post. The Author shall not be liable for any
direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use
of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this post..

David Candy

You don't know squat about netmeeting. So don't comment on it.

Directories aren't needed for NM to work. It will provide Chat, Video conferencing, shared working, Remote Desktop, and Remote Assistance between ANY windows versions. Help a 95 user from XP. Log on to 2000 from 95.

If you do log on to a directory then you can choose various options which means anyone CAN'T call you.

John Barnett MVP

Within the confines of work netmeeting will do all that you say it will.
However, the OP hasn't specified that the information is work related,
therefore, one can only assume Netmeeting is required for personal use.
Netmeeting is old hat now and currently isn't available in the latest
windows beta and probably will not be included - thankfully.
As for knowing 'squat' about netmeeting i beg to differ, and my point still
remains that MSN Messenger is the obvious choice.

--

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
You don't know squat about netmeeting. So don't comment on it.

Directories aren't needed for NM to work. It will provide Chat, Video
conferencing, shared working, Remote Desktop, and Remote Assistance between
ANY windows versions. Help a 95 user from XP. Log on to 2000 from 95.

If you do log on to a directory then you can choose various options which
means anyone CAN'T call you.

my, my. Heated conversation.

I know this is a 2 year old conversation, but let me ask John or others a
question.

I was a big Netmeeting user for particular use of SHARED SCREENS. Very
helpful to support my relatives with PC questions who live in another state.

My relative has Windows XP (which has Netmeeting) and I have Vista.
She happens to also have MSN Messenger. And I have loaded Windows Live
Messenger.
I don't care much about Chat, so where can you point me to use a tool for
Screen Sharing like I could us with Netmeeting? Can I get Netmeeting to work
on Vista as well?

I fear that this free service (instead of using WebEx) is being "upgraded"
out of the offering for Microsoft users.

Thanks.