Needs Two Drives to Boot???

Jim Hinkel

I have a two year old dual hard drive Dell 4100 system.
It originally shipped with Windows ME and one hard drive
(c). Right after I received it, I added the second hard
drive (d) out of my old machine.

About a year later, I upgraded to Windows XP Home. Now
several months later, I am trying to replace the second
hard drive and am finding that for some reason XP needs it
to boot. The windows directory and everything are on my c
drive and there is nothing visible on the d drive. When I
remove the d drive (not even installing the new drive
yet), I get an invalid boot disk message. It's like when
I upgraded to xp, it put some type of boot record on my d
drive that it needs to boot.

After looking around in the knowledge base, it looks like
there may be a paramater wrong in the boot.ini file? My
question is how do I fix it so it only looks to the C
drive to boot?

Thanks in advance.
Jim

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Jim,
Which drive contains the boot.ini and the NTLDR files?
Which partition is the active partion and which drive is that partition on?
What is in the boot.ini file?
What is the exact error message?
This may be a jumper setting on the first drive that needs to change since
the second drive was removed.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

| From: "Jim Hinkel" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Needs Two Drives to Boot???
| Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 14:10:09 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
|
| I have a two year old dual hard drive Dell 4100 system.
| It originally shipped with Windows ME and one hard drive
| (c). Right after I received it, I added the second hard
| drive (d) out of my old machine.
|
| About a year later, I upgraded to Windows XP Home. Now
| several months later, I am trying to replace the second
| hard drive and am finding that for some reason XP needs it
| to boot. The windows directory and everything are on my c
| drive and there is nothing visible on the d drive. When I
| remove the d drive (not even installing the new drive
| yet), I get an invalid boot disk message. It's like when
| I upgraded to xp, it put some type of boot record on my d
| drive that it needs to boot.
|
| After looking around in the knowledge base, it looks like
| there may be a paramater wrong in the boot.ini file? My
| question is how do I fix it so it only looks to the C
| drive to boot?
|
| Thanks in advance.
| Jim

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Jim,
Good explanation.
To answer the questions
1)Open disk management(right-click on my computer and choose manage, then
pick disk management)
On each primary partition, right-click and choose properties.
There will be an option to mark the Partition as Active. The active
partition will be have this option greyed out. Only check the primary
partitions, check the color code at the bottom which identifies the
partitions as primary.
2) I would hook the old drive to the motherboard as Master and hook the new
drive to the Promise controller as Master. You would only jumper as slave
if both drives are on the same channel on the same controller.

I don't think the boot.ini is the issue. It doesn't sound like we are
getting that far in the boot process, but that is why I wanted the exact
error message to be sure of that.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

> [...]
| connector -- jumper set to slave).
|
| Wouldn't boot. Went through the Dell system screen and
| then got a message on a black screen like "boot disk not
| found" -- kinda like the message when you have left a
| diskette in drive a when you boot the machine (I'll check
| and get the exact message this weekend).
|
| So, I commence to troubleshoot....
|
| Made absolutely sure I was replacing the right drive
| (eg d)
| Disconnected the new drive, leaving the old c still
| connected to the Promise card - no boot
| Connected the old c" back to the motherboard
| controller - no boot -- getting worried
| Put the old d drive back in -- putting the system back
| like it was when I started -- booted fine -- whew!!!
| Removed the new controller card both logically ( eg
| control panel/system/device/) and physically -- booted fine
| Disconnected the old d drive -- no boot
| Reconnected the d drive -- booted fine
|
| Now to your questions...
|
| which drive contain the boot.ini and ntldr files? I think
| c but will verify. d has never been used for anything
| except a "data" disk. however when I upgraded to XP Home
| a few months ago, it could have put those files out
| there. they would have to be hidden though because I
| cleaned off the d drive before I started to replace it.
| after cleaning it up, when i checked the drive properties,
| i noticed that space was still being used, so there must
| be some hidden files.
|
| which drive is the active partition and which drive is
| that partition on? don't know and am not sure how to
| check. both drives have only one partition.
|
| what is in the boot.ini file? will have to check this
| weekend. i think this may be where the problem might
| lie...during my troubleshooting, i seem to remember
| looking at this file and seeing that the "default="
| statement was refering to a drive 1 versus a drive 0...eg
| disk(1) versus disk(0). again, I will verify this weekend.
|
| What is the exact error message? see above, will verify.
|
| jumper setting -- good observation -- will look back at
| the drive documentation -- assuming the boot.ini is not
| pointing to disk 1, that might explain why it needs the
| second drive to boot, however, going back to my "story"
| above that won't explain why it didn't boot when I had two
| drives hooked up to the controller card...I'm pretty sure
| the message was the same in both cases.
|
| Darrell...thanks again for responding. Sorry for the long
| message. As I said, I will check out some stuff this
| weeked and will get back with the results. Before then a
| couple of questions..
|
| 1) How do I check on the active partition and drive
| question?
| 2) When I ultimately get the new drive installed, assuming
| I want to keep my old c as the master and the new drive as
| the slave, do I hook both drives up to the Promise card or
| leave the old c: hooked to the motherboard with one cable
| in the master position and the new drive hooked to the

| >|
| >| About a year later, I upgraded to Windows XP Home. Now
| >| several months later, I am trying to replace the second
| >| hard drive and am finding that for some reason XP needs
| it
| >| to boot. The windows directory and everything are on
| my c
| >| drive and there is nothing visible on the d drive.
| When I
| >| remove the d drive (not even installing the new drive
| >| yet), I get an invalid boot disk message. It's like
| when
| >| I upgraded to xp, it put some type of boot record on my
| >| drive that it needs to boot.
| >|
| >| After looking around in the knowledge base, it looks
| like
| >| there may be a paramater wrong in the boot.ini file? My
| >| question is how do I fix it so it only looks to the C
| >| drive to boot?
| >|
| >| Thanks in advance.
| >| Jim
| >|
| >|
| >|
| >|

| >.

jim

Darrell,
What you have said makes a a whole lot of sense. Thanks
again for taking the time to respond. Thanks especially
for getting me off of the boot.ini track. I was sure
headed that direction and would have ended up messing
things up good. You were right to focus me first on the
drive jumper question. I'll give her another try over the
weekend and will be back in touch.

I tried to send an email directly to the
(e-mail address removed) address but it came back
undeliverable. Is there another one I should use or
should I just continue to use this newsgroup?

Jim
> [...]

| pointing to disk 1, that might explain why it needs the
| second drive to boot, however, going back to my "story"
| above that won't explain why it didn't boot when I had two
| drives hooked up to the controller card...I'm pretty sure
| the message was the same in both cases.
|
| Darrell...thanks again for responding. Sorry for the long
| message. As I said, I will check out some stuff this
| weeked and will get back with the results. Before then a
| couple of questions..
|
| 1) How do I check on the active partition and drive
| question?
| 2) When I ultimately get the new drive installed, assuming
| I want to keep my old c as the master and the new drive as
| the slave, do I hook both drives up to the Promise card or
| leave the old c: hooked to the motherboard with one cable
| in the master position and the new drive hooked to the

| >|
| >| About a year later, I upgraded to Windows XP Home. Now
| >| several months later, I am trying to replace the second
| >| hard drive and am finding that for some reason XP needs
| it
| >| to boot. The windows directory and everything are on
| my c
| >| drive and there is nothing visible on the d drive.
| When I
| >| remove the d drive (not even installing the new drive
| >| yet), I get an invalid boot disk message. It's like
| when
| >| I upgraded to xp, it put some type of boot record on my
| >| drive that it needs to boot.
| >|
| >| After looking around in the knowledge base, it looks
| like
| >| there may be a paramater wrong in the boot.ini file? My
| >| question is how do I fix it so it only looks to the C
| >| drive to boot?
| >|
| >| Thanks in advance.
| >| Jim