Need to find out who is logged into database.

ge0rge

I used this code to see who is logged into the database.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/198755

It will not show login name but only computer name. We connect to the
network via a neoware/citrix box. Anyone know any other way to find out
who is logged into an access database? Thanks.

Douglas J. Steele

Only if you're using Access User-Level Security, so that your users have to
log into the application (and you'll get the Access ID, not the Network ID).
Otherwise, Access doesn't track that information.

ge0rge

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP

(no e-mails, please!)

"ge0rge" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message

I used this code to see who is logged into the database.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/198755

It will not show login name but only computer name. We connect to the
network via a neoware/citrix box. Anyone know any other way to fin
out
who is logged into an access database? Thanks.

Thanks for the reply. I have been trying so many methods posted ove
the net and when I think I am close I am still so very far away. Th
database was designed by a coworker without user login. He says it wa
impossible to make any kind of way to find out who is in the db an
also that you cannot log them out. I did code to boot inactive user
after 10 minutes and it works so far.
Is there anyway to at least be able to log off users anytime neede
without Access User-Level Security? I would think that if I can make
timer to log off inactive users it must be possible. Any suggestions
Thanks!!

Douglas J. Steele

I don't see any reason to care about who's in the database if you're trying
to kick them out.

You've already got the ability to kick idle users off. Add a table to your
backend that contains a flag to indicate when you want the users off the
system. Check that flag on a regular basis (such as every AfterUpdate event,
or every Current event in your form) and take the appropriate action when
the flag says to get the user out.

Douglas J. Steele

It really shouldn't be necessary to kick off the read-only users just
because someone wants to do updates, but you should be able to use the
approach I outlined to do it.

ge0rge

Douglas said:
I don't see any reason to care about who's in the database if you're
trying
to kick them out.

You've already got the ability to kick idle users off. Add a table to
your
backend that contains a flag to indicate when you want the users off
the
system. Check that flag on a regular basis (such as every AfterUpdate
event,
or every Current event in your form) and take the appropriate action
when
the flag says to get the user out.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP

(no e-mails, please!)

"ge0rge" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message

Thanks for the reply. I have been trying so many methods posted over
the net and when I think I am close I am still so very far away. The
database was designed by a coworker without user login. He says it
was
impossible to make any kind of way to find out who is in the db and
also that you cannot log them out. I did code to boot inactive users
after 10 minutes and it works so far.
Is there anyway to at least be able to log off users anytime needed

Douglas J. Steele;2799068 Wrote:-
Only if you're using Access User-Level Security, so that your users
have
log into the application (and you'll get the Access ID, not the
Network
ID).
Otherwise, Access doesn't track that information.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP

(no e-mails, please!)

"ge0rge" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message

I used this code to see who is logged into the database.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/198755

It will not show login name but only computer name. We connect to the
network via a neoware/citrix box. Anyone know any other way to find
out
who is logged into an access database? Thanks.--

Actually you are correct, there is no need to know who is logged in.
That is not what I meant in my second post. I am however not too
skilled when it comes to access and don't know how to see if any users
are logged on other than by seeing the ldb file created when someone is
logged in. The situation is this: There are approx 10 users who have
write access and the rest have read only. When the read only users are
in there it would be nice to be able to log them off when someone has
to actually do something with priority such as writing to the db. I
don't know how to go about this.

John W. Vinson

When the read only users are
in there it would be nice to be able to log them off when someone has
to actually do something with priority such as writing to the db. I
don't know how to go about this.

Ummmm....

Access has permitted concurrent reading and updating since Access 1.0.

It is NOT necessary to kick out read-only users in order to allow updating.

What is the nature of the updating? What problems or conflicts have you
encountered? At the very worst, you may run into an error message if someone
attempts to update *the very same record* that another user has open for
viewing.

ge0rge

I did not design the database. Access is not exactly something I am good
at. It was written by a fellow coworker. There are about 10 people who
have read/write access. These are the things I know: If any one of the
10 with write access is in the database we can input data. We have some
forms that we number sequentially as in a box as we input new ones. The
odd thing is if there are 4 of us in the db we must be careful so we
don't use the same numbers. It is a straight up pain. If someone with
read only access is in the db it says the db is locked and read only
when we try to open the db. The person who designed the db kept telling
me there was no way to log off inactive users. That is why I figured out
how to at least put an idle timer in place. They constantly claim it is
incapable of this and that without really knowing. I would think there
was a way to have write access while someone with read-only status is
in the db. The way it is set up just not does not look right to me. Is
there something I could look for to correct the read-only, no write
access problem? Thanks for taking the time to help.

Douglas J. Steele

Do your read-only users still have Read/Write permission on the folder where
the MDB file exists? They need to, otherwise they won't be able to interact
properly with the locking file that's written to that folder.