Need text editor that reformats blocks of text between margins

Discussion in 'Freeware' started by wylbur37, Feb 10, 2006.

  1. wylbur37

    wylbur37 Guest

    I'm looking for a text editor that reformats blocks of text between
    specified margins.

    In case there's any question as to what I mean,
    A "block of text" is any group of characters on one or more lines,
    delimited by one or more blank lines.
    To "reformat" a block of text means to re-position the words of that
    block so that all the words fit between the left margin column and the
    right margin column and with only one space between words.

    TE (Tiny Editor) works for this purpose, but it's limited to file
    sizes of no more than 64K.

    PSPad supposedly works for this purpose, and there's no limit to file
    size, but there's a bug in it (current version 4.5.0) that causes it
    to work only sometimes but not other times.

    Does anyone know of a text editor that reformats blocks of text
    between specified margins, and has no file size limit (or at least a
    file size limit of more than 64K)?

    wylbur37, Feb 10, 2006

  2. wylbur37

    cphillips581 Guest

    On 10 Feb 2006 05:45:32 -0800, "wylbur37" <>
    wrote:

    >I'm looking for a text editor that reformats blocks of text between
    >specified margins.
    >
    >In case there's any question as to what I mean,
    >A "block of text" is any group of characters on one or more lines,
    >delimited by one or more blank lines.
    >To "reformat" a block of text means to re-position the words of that
    >block so that all the words fit between the left margin column and the
    >right margin column and with only one space between words.
    >
    >TE (Tiny Editor) works for this purpose, but it's limited to file
    >sizes of no more than 64K.
    >
    >PSPad supposedly works for this purpose, and there's no limit to file
    >size, but there's a bug in it (current version 4.5.0) that causes it
    >to work only sometimes but not other times.
    >
    >Does anyone know of a text editor that reformats blocks of text
    >between specified margins, and has no file size limit (or at least a
    >file size limit of more than 64K)?

    I run Notetab Pro myself, but I think NoteTab Light might be able to
    do what you are asking. The reformat function is found under the
    Modify menu, select Lines and then Reformat Lines. The text to be
    reformated must be selected first.

    http://www.notetab.com

    http://www.notetab.com/ntl.php

    cphillips581, Feb 10, 2006

  3. wylbur37

    Lord Possum Guest

    In article <>, cphillips581
    @comcast.net says...
    > On 10 Feb 2006 05:45:32 -0800, "wylbur37" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I'm looking for a text editor that reformats blocks of text between
    > >specified margins.

    ==================

    Here is what you want:

    http://www.pspad.com/

    You have specified the exact reason that I used PSPAD in the first
    place. Just to be certain that we are on the same page .. PSPAD
    will take ANY old text file, whether a single loooooong string, or
    varying size lines one after another; then you can reshape the
    margins however many characters wide that you desire, including
    setting of the left and right hand margins. Then, by choosing the
    BLOCK REFORMAT options, PSPAD does its thing. Save it to a new file
    and the new format STAYS put for any other editing client, even
    MS Word, etc. Wonderful! It actually deletes existing OA and OD
    bytes (line returns, etc), and replaces them where needed in the
    new saved document.

    Lord Possum, Feb 10, 2006
  4. wylbur37

    Frank Bohan Guest

    "cphillips581" <> wrote in message
    > On 10 Feb 2006 05:45:32 -0800, "wylbur37" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I'm looking for a text editor that reformats blocks of text between
    >>specified margins.
    >>
    >>In case there's any question as to what I mean,
    >>A "block of text" is any group of characters on one or more lines,
    >>delimited by one or more blank lines.
    >>To "reformat" a block of text means to re-position the words of that
    >>block so that all the words fit between the left margin column and the
    >>right margin column and with only one space between words.
    >>
    >>TE (Tiny Editor) works for this purpose, but it's limited to file
    >>sizes of no more than 64K.
    >>
    >>PSPad supposedly works for this purpose, and there's no limit to file
    >>size, but there's a bug in it (current version 4.5.0) that causes it
    >>to work only sometimes but not other times.
    >>
    >>Does anyone know of a text editor that reformats blocks of text
    >>between specified margins, and has no file size limit (or at least a
    >>file size limit of more than 64K)?

    > I run Notetab Pro myself, but I think NoteTab Light might be able to
    > do what you are asking. The reformat function is found under the
    > Modify menu, select Lines and then Reformat Lines. The text to be
    > reformated must be selected first.
    >
    > http://www.notetab.com
    >
    > http://www.notetab.com/ntl.php

    I also use Notetab Pro but I also have Notetab Lite. I can confirm that the
    Lite version can do what is required but I question the above method of
    doing it. I don't see "Reformat Lines" under "Lines" in either version
    (yours may be a different version). However, it can be done by selecting
    Document > check "Word Wrap" and "Wrap to Column" > Enter the width required
    (in number of characters) > Click OK.

    There is no facility for full justification without a jagged right edge on
    the Lite version, but as OP only requires a single space between lines this
    would not seem to be a problem.

    ===

    Frank Bohan
    ¶ You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it swim backstroke.

    Frank Bohan, Feb 10, 2006
  5. wylbur37

    cphillips581 Guest

    On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 22:18:16 -0000, "Frank Bohan"
    <> wrote:

    >"cphillips581" <> wrote in message
    >> On 10 Feb 2006 05:45:32 -0800, "wylbur37" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm looking for a text editor that reformats blocks of text between
    >>>specified margins.
    >>>
    >>>In case there's any question as to what I mean,
    >>>A "block of text" is any group of characters on one or more lines,
    >>>delimited by one or more blank lines.
    >>>To "reformat" a block of text means to re-position the words of that
    >>>block so that all the words fit between the left margin column and the
    >>>right margin column and with only one space between words.
    >>>
    >>>TE (Tiny Editor) works for this purpose, but it's limited to file
    >>>sizes of no more than 64K.
    >>>
    >>>PSPad supposedly works for this purpose, and there's no limit to file
    >>>size, but there's a bug in it (current version 4.5.0) that causes it
    >>>to work only sometimes but not other times.
    >>>
    >>>Does anyone know of a text editor that reformats blocks of text
    >>>between specified margins, and has no file size limit (or at least a
    >>>file size limit of more than 64K)?

    >> I run Notetab Pro myself, but I think NoteTab Light might be able to
    >> do what you are asking. The reformat function is found under the
    >> Modify menu, select Lines and then Reformat Lines. The text to be
    >> reformated must be selected first.
    >>
    >> http://www.notetab.com
    >>
    >> http://www.notetab.com/ntl.php

    >I also use Notetab Pro but I also have Notetab Lite. I can confirm that the
    >Lite version can do what is required but I question the above method of
    >doing it. I don't see "Reformat Lines" under "Lines" in either version
    >(yours may be a different version). However, it can be done by selecting
    >Document > check "Word Wrap" and "Wrap to Column" > Enter the width required
    >(in number of characters) > Click OK.
    >
    >There is no facility for full justification without a jagged right edge on
    >the Lite version, but as OP only requires a single space between lines this
    >would not seem to be a problem.
    >
    >===
    >
    >Frank Bohan
    >¶ You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it swim backstroke.

    Shift+Ctrl+M brings up the same reformat info that running thru the
    menus does.

    cphillips581, Feb 11, 2006
  6. wylbur37

    wylbur37 Guest

    Lord Possum wrote:
    > In article <>, cphillips581
    > @comcast.net says...
    > > On 10 Feb 2006 05:45:32 -0800, "wylbur37" <>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >I'm looking for a text editor that reformats blocks of text between
    > > >specified margins.

    > ==================
    >
    > Here is what you want:
    >
    > http://www.pspad.com/

    You didn't bother to read the entire posting. I did say the following

    wylbur37, Feb 12, 2006
  7. wylbur37

    Lord Possum Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > You didn't bother to read the entire posting. I did say the following
    >
    > PSPad supposedly works for this purpose, ...
    > ...but there's a bug in it (current version 4.5.0) that causes it
    > to work only sometimes but not other times.

    I read the whole thing. PSPAD has no bug that I can detect. It
    has worked flawlessly, doing s-p-e-c-i-f-i-c-a-l-l-y what you
    want for all of my needs several times a week. But, then ..
    I use version 4.3.2 (2006) How, does it not work sometimes
    for you?

    Lord Possum, Feb 13, 2006
  8. wylbur37

    wylbur37 Guest

    Lord Possum wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >
    > > You didn't bother to read the entire posting. I did say the following
    > > PSPad supposedly works for this purpose, ...
    > > ...but there's a bug in it (current version 4.5.0) that causes it
    > > to work only sometimes but not other times.

    > I read the whole thing. PSPAD has no bug that I can detect. It
    > has worked flawlessly, doing s-p-e-c-i-f-i-c-a-l-l-y what you
    > want for all of my needs several times a week. But, then ..
    > I use version 4.3.2 (2006) How, does it not work sometimes
    > for you?

    Using PSPAD 4.5.0,
    If I take the following 5 blocks of text and reformat it
    after setting the right edge to 55 ...

    -------------------- begin sample text --------------------

[...]

    -------------------- end sample text --------------------

    I get the following result ...

    -------------------- begin sample text --------------------

[...]

    Notice that the first 3 blocks of text were completely unformatted
    and unraveled into a single line.
    (If the second block looks formatted it's only because of the line wrap
    that occurred
    from posting this message).
    The fourth block was almost correct (the word "there's" should have
    been on the first line).
    Only the fifth block was correctly done.

    Does anyone know where I can download previous versions of PSPAD?
    such as version 4.3.3 or 4.3.2 ?

    wylbur37, Feb 15, 2006
  9. jEdit will do what you want. Edit > Text > Format Paragraph.

    Jonathan Aquino, Feb 24, 2006